Old December 20th 05, 11:45 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce

Default full moon causes eBay insanity !!!!!!!

Unrevealed Source wrote:

I understand and respect your point of view, and by and large I agree. But
let me ask this. Suppose a couple of people bid up the price of a Radio
Shack DX-100, and one of them ends up paying $350 for it. Wouldn't you be
the first to say that they overpaid? Remember it only takes a couple of
people to get in a bidding war with each other. That doesn't mean it is the
fair market value - it just means two people wanted really, really bad and
were unwilling to wait for another one to come along.

It all averages out. eBay is THE marketplace that determines value these days.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old December 20th 05, 01:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

Unrevealed Source wrote:
I understand and respect your point of view, and by and large I agree. But
let me ask this. Suppose a couple of people bid up the price of a Radio
Shack DX-100, and one of them ends up paying $350 for it. Wouldn't you be
the first to say that they overpaid? Remember it only takes a couple of
people to get in a bidding war with each other. That doesn't mean it is the
fair market value - it just means two people wanted really, really bad and
were unwilling to wait for another one to come along.

It is one thing to say that you or I would feel that we had overpaid
had we bought a DX-100 for $350.00. It is quite another to say tht
someone else overpaid at that price. Clearly we don't know what
motivated that buyer but it is a certainty that he feels that he didn't
overpay. Having owned a DX-150b I can safely tell you that I would not
be interested in a radio of that series again at any price over $10.00.

Jumping into the middle, some people would not blink twice at paying
$1,000.00 for a nice Japan Radio NRD 505. Not me, because I wouldn't
give it a second thought. But the NRD collector would most likely be
quite happy with his purchase.

Going to the other extreme I would feel I overpaid had I bought a
one-of-a-kind $40,000 wooden cased floor radio from the 1930's. And
yet as we all know there are collectors of old radios that would not
blink at the dent such a purchase would make in a radio buying budget.

We are better off knowing what radios we are interested in, what our
radio buying budget is and how much we are willing to pay for a given
radio and sharing those facts. But lets stay away from criticizing the
buying habits of someone else by listing links to ongoing and closed
Ebay auctions and laughing at them. Who knows we might actually entice
a few lurkers to participate on rec.radio.shortwave.

"John S." wrote in message
oups.com...

Unrevealed Source wrote:
eBay does not ALWAYS establish a true market price, but you're right; by
and
large it is the way prices are determined on used radios.

With the exception of a situation where the buyer uses shills and never
closes a sale, Ebay very definitely establishes a market price. And
the sale prices are far more representative of real value than the
stickers some guy has pasted to his pickup-truck full of old iron at a
hamfest. Given the number of buyers and sellers that see and bid on
the goods Ebay is a lot closer to a perfect market than a couple of
guys posting FS postings on rec.radio.shortwave.

But you'll always
have the auctions that fall into one end or another of the bell curve. I
think that was Mike's point. Hey, look at these abnormally high prices.
Would you have less objection if people pointed out the other end of the
scale? Hey, look at this radio that somebody got for a STEAL! I don't
think Mike was "complaining", just pointing them out to the group.

Let's try it another way. What is an abnormally high price. Is it one
that occurs off ebay? Or is it one that is too high for another
prospective buyer.

And while I don't have as many radios, the number of years in the hobby,
or
the breadth and depth of knowledge that Mike has, believe me when I tell
you
there are no "sour grapes" about someone else getting these radios. I
have
enough radios and have enough experience with eBay to know that if the
bidding goes higher than I think a radio is worth, it's OK if I back off
and
let someone else have it. I just wait for something else to come along.
That's part of the fun. I already have all of my "must own" radios.

Perhaps this thread would be better continued if we posed the questions:
"What makes a radio worth paying a lot of money for?". How do you define
"a
lot of money"? Is it defined as paying more than the radio cost new?
How
much more? How do you weigh scarcity vs. performance, i.e. if a radio is
rare but performs poorly, is that better than the other way around?
Example: Would you pay more for a Hallicrafter TW-2000 than a Kenwood
R-5000?

The reasons SWLs demand radios like the R-5000 as pure listening
devices are completely different from the reason collectors demand say
a Zenith TO and it really isn't possible to compare the two. We all
know a radio like an R5000 will run circles around most any tube radio
that is still working, but the R5000 looks positively sterile to a
collector of old wooden tabletops. Some people are willing to pay
upwards of $40k for a wooden case floor model radio with tubes, and I
say more power to them if that is where their collecting interest is.
And others are willing to part with big bucks for old boat anchors like
the R390a and HRO series.

The less we try to inflate our self-sense of collector expertise by
bashing the purchasing decisions of others the better off we all will
be. It might actually be possible to enjoy one-anothers collecting
interests, different though they might be.

Old December 20th 05, 01:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Here's what I say,Thank Gawd for rich moneyed collectors whom have the
money to buy such old Radios,,, $40,000 for an old 25 tube Zenith
Stratosphere wooden cabinet Radio.I am Glad,,, I say I am Glad he or she
bought that Radio.I belive that Radio will have a good home.
cuhulin

Old December 20th 05, 05:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Caveat Lector

Hey don't knock eek-bay
I was on the hunt for several weeks for a used Pentax lens
The camera stores wanted $149+
Won it on e-bay for $62.00
Arrived today - like new
Ya gotta know when to bid em and when to fold em - Kenny Rodgers song "The
Bidder"

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

"Caveat Lector" wrote in message
What part of the Auction Process don't you understand ?

You really don't want price fixing - do you?

If so go to the Mall (;-)

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

Old January 8th 06, 06:48 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
mike maghakian

well the QR-666 that went up to close to $400 NEVER GOT PAID FOR ! the two
loonies must have come to their senses !!!!!

"mike maghakian" wrote in message
do you want proof that the full moon causes lunacy, here are some of this
weeks auctions to prove insanity, these radios sold many times their VALUE
!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hallicrafters-Wo...QQcmdZViewItem