Old December 19th 05, 01:06 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
mike maghakian

Default full moon causes eBay insanity !!!!!!!

do you want proof that the full moon causes lunacy, here are some of this
weeks auctions to prove insanity, these radios sold many times their VALUE
!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hallicrafters-Wo...QQcmdZViewItem

Old December 19th 05, 12:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce

"John S." wrote:

mike maghakian wrote:
do you want proof that the full moon causes lunacy, here are some of this
weeks auctions to prove insanity, these radios sold many times their VALUE
!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hallicrafters-Wo...QQcmdZViewItem

Hmm...lets see. Each of those auctions has a buyer willing to part
with his receiver and and seller willing to buy for dollars. So what
could possibly be wrong.

Do I detect a little jealousy because your collection doesn't quite
measure up to the quality of those receivers?
Or maybe you just thought things were a little slow here and you would
do a little trolling to liven things up.

I'm beginning to think that the full moon has caused Mike to go insane.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old December 19th 05, 05:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Talk about insane prices:

http://www.rffun.com/catalog/portable/0101.html

Old December 19th 05, 05:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

And m II pokes fun at me about sangean radios (and I still say them E1's
are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy over priced) and the Goodwill store and that time
I pretended (I was only pretending,m II,it isn't for real) I was a 15
year old girl "interested" in male dogs,at bianca.com womens topics.
cuhulin

Old December 19th 05, 11:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

Unrevealed Source wrote:
I agree with Mike. Those are some pretty high prices for some
not-so-special radios. The only exception might be the TW-2000, which I had
my eye on myself but bailed out when the price got too high.

It's beginning to sound like sour grapes because someone wanted the
radio(s) more than you did.

It was in nice
shape and you probably won't see another one like it in a long while.

I think Mike's point is that sure, SOMEONE was willing to pay those prices,
but part of this newsgroup is educating people, isn't it?

Well, ok I'll be the first to ask. How is this group educating people
about prices of radios on Ebay.

So far all I've seen on this forum are a small group complaining
amongst themselves about how expensive radios are. Not a whole lot of
educating going on that I've read.

Because Ebay allows many buyers and sellers to come together and
determine an equitable price, I think it is a far better measure of the
true value of a radio than the frustrated few collectors on
rec.radio.shortwave. You and others may not like it, but Ebay is a
marketplace and it works to establish a true market price.

Old December 19th 05, 11:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Caveat Lector

What part of the Auction Process don't you understand ?

You really don't want price fixing - do you?

If so go to the Mall (;-)

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

Old December 19th 05, 11:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Unrevealed Source

eBay does not ALWAYS establish a true market price, but you're right; by and
large it is the way prices are determined on used radios. But you'll always
have the auctions that fall into one end or another of the bell curve. I
think that was Mike's point. Hey, look at these abnormally high prices.
Would you have less objection if people pointed out the other end of the
scale? Hey, look at this radio that somebody got for a STEAL! I don't
think Mike was "complaining", just pointing them out to the group.

And while I don't have as many radios, the number of years in the hobby, or
the breadth and depth of knowledge that Mike has, believe me when I tell you
there are no "sour grapes" about someone else getting these radios. I have
enough radios and have enough experience with eBay to know that if the
bidding goes higher than I think a radio is worth, it's OK if I back off and
let someone else have it. I just wait for something else to come along.
That's part of the fun. I already have all of my "must own" radios.

Perhaps this thread would be better continued if we posed the questions:
"What makes a radio worth paying a lot of money for?". How do you define "a
lot of money"? Is it defined as paying more than the radio cost new? How
much more? How do you weigh scarcity vs. performance, i.e. if a radio is
rare but performs poorly, is that better than the other way around?
Example: Would you pay more for a Hallicrafter TW-2000 than a Kenwood
R-5000?

"John S." wrote in message
oups.com...

Old December 20th 05, 12:14 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I own a 1914 Ford T model car I bought for $1,800.00 from a guy in Sioux
Falls,South Dakota in November,1971.He and his wife were moving to
Minneapolis,Minnesota and they couldn't take the car with him.I like old
vehicles as much or more than I like old radios.But I dont want to own
all of the old vehicles and old radios in the World.
cuhulin

Old December 20th 05, 01:34 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

Unrevealed Source wrote:
eBay does not ALWAYS establish a true market price, but you're right; by and
large it is the way prices are determined on used radios.

With the exception of a situation where the buyer uses shills and never
closes a sale, Ebay very definitely establishes a market price. And
the sale prices are far more representative of real value than the
stickers some guy has pasted to his pickup-truck full of old iron at a
hamfest. Given the number of buyers and sellers that see and bid on
the goods Ebay is a lot closer to a perfect market than a couple of
guys posting FS postings on rec.radio.shortwave.

But you'll always
have the auctions that fall into one end or another of the bell curve. I
think that was Mike's point. Hey, look at these abnormally high prices.
Would you have less objection if people pointed out the other end of the
scale? Hey, look at this radio that somebody got for a STEAL! I don't
think Mike was "complaining", just pointing them out to the group.

Let's try it another way. What is an abnormally high price. Is it one
that occurs off ebay? Or is it one that is too high for another
prospective buyer.

[...]

The reasons SWLs demand radios like the R-5000 as pure listening
devices are completely different from the reason collectors demand say
a Zenith TO and it really isn't possible to compare the two. We all
know a radio like an R5000 will run circles around most any tube radio
that is still working, but the R5000 looks positively sterile to a
collector of old wooden tabletops. Some people are willing to pay
upwards of $40k for a wooden case floor model radio with tubes, and I
say more power to them if that is where their collecting interest is.
And others are willing to part with big bucks for old boat anchors like
the R390a and HRO series.

The less we try to inflate our self-sense of collector expertise by
bashing the purchasing decisions of others the better off we all will
be. It might actually be possible to enjoy one-anothers collecting
interests, different though they might be.

Old December 20th 05, 12:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Unrevealed Source

I understand and respect your point of view, and by and large I agree. But
let me ask this. Suppose a couple of people bid up the price of a Radio
Shack DX-100, and one of them ends up paying $350 for it. Wouldn't you be
the first to say that they overpaid? Remember it only takes a couple of
people to get in a bidding war with each other. That doesn't mean it is the
fair market value - it just means two people wanted really, really bad and
were unwilling to wait for another one to come along.

"John S." wrote in message
oups.com...