Old February 24th 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce

Default Calling the Falklands to be scrapped

BBC TO SCRAP RADIO LINK AFTER 62 YEARS
Owen Gibson, Friday February 24, 2006, The Guardian

Calling the Falklands, the twice-weekly BBC World Service
programme
that became a lifeline for the islands during the 1982 war, is
being
axed after 62 years.

The corporation plans to announce today that in an age of
satellite TV
and the internet there is no need for a dedicated programme
bringing
news and personal messages from Britain to the remote Atlantic
islands.

Instead the BBC has agreed on a package of measures to support
the
islanders' local radio service, including the supply of World
Service
content and a two-year subscription to syndicated commercial
programming.

http://media.guardian.co.uk/radio/st...716725,00.html
(via Mike Barraclough, DXLD)

Registration required. Does the story give any hint of when the
last broadcast
will be? Could even be today Feb 24, or Feb 28, scheduled
Tuesdays & Fridays
only 2130-2145 on 11680, masked here by BBC French Guiana 11675
(Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old February 24th 06, 05:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce

dxAce wrote:

[...]

The final broadcast will be March 31st.
(mike barraclough, DXLD)

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old February 24th 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

BBC (Biased Brit Company) keeps on shaving down their Shortwave
service,eh? I didn't agree with that 1982 Falklands "war".
cuhulin

Old February 24th 06, 07:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 11:44:12 -0600, wrote:

BBC (Biased Brit Company) keeps on shaving down their Shortwave
service,eh? I didn't agree with that 1982 Falklands "war".
cuhulin

HF Broadcasting isn't very cost effective.

Old February 24th 06, 07:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Invader3K

You didn't agree with which side? The Argentines, or the British?

Old February 24th 06, 07:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Verstaldin

For a country that was so determined to keep the Falklands, I think I'd be
insulted at this turn of events, especially if I'd lost a loved one in that
war What was the point ?

Old February 24th 06, 07:33 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

What if they tried to snag Ship Island,Mississippi? Which side do you
think I would be on?
cuhulin

Old February 24th 06, 08:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Verstaldin

I didn't look at it in that light cuhulin s. These are their people - I
don't understand their attitude. Is it only about money, or do their people
matter ? If it was only a matter of pride, face or ego, then I might
understand this turn of events. The whole war was just as stupid as any war.
But if it came down to taking part of Mississippi, I might get my hackles up
s. I've never been to there, so I don't know what it is like. I have been
to Georgia, Alabama and South Carolina but from the perspective of military
training, so I can't comment from an unbiased viewpoint on the merits of
those places S.

Old February 24th 06, 09:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

wrote in message
What if they tried to snag Ship Island,Mississippi? Which side do you
think I would be on?
cuhulin

Screw the UK, fascist *******s. They're in cahoots with Bush to
destroy the USA.

Old February 24th 06, 10:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Regardless of whichever part/Territory of U.S.A.even if it is a dinky
little Island of anywhere in U.S.A.
U.S.A.is U.S.A.That is the way I look at it.
cuhulin

BBC Calling the Falklands dxAce Shortwave 0 March 4th 05 08:53 PM
Calling Falklands dxAce Shortwave 2 December 14th 04 10:29 PM
CW Testing Question Mike Coslo Policy 52 May 29th 04 09:24 AM
calling kc8qjp calling kc8qjp Keyclowns Are On Notice CB 0 March 27th 04 04:25 AM
BBC: Falklands Service N8KDV Shortwave 1 March 5th 04 09:54 PM