Old March 31st 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Jim Hackett

Default Passport to WORTHLESS band radio?

Is it just me, or do others find that in way over 50% of the time that I
hear something on "X" frequency at "Y" time, and look it up in Passport,
there's NOTHING listed?
Example: Right now, 23:23 on 15.340, I'm hearing some music that sounds
like it belongs in some musical. I look in Passport, there is NOTHING
listed for that freq/time...
Kind of defeats the purpose of buying the book...

Old March 31st 06, 12:34 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce

Jim Hackett wrote:

Is it just me, or do others find that in way over 50% of the time that I
hear something on "X" frequency at "Y" time, and look it up in Passport,
there's NOTHING listed?
Example: Right now, 23:23 on 15.340, I'm hearing some music that sounds
like it belongs in some musical. I look in Passport, there is NOTHING
listed for that freq/time...
Kind of defeats the purpose of buying the book...

As most folks know PWBR is usually only fairly accurate for the bXX broadcasting
season. Anything other than that is merely an educated guess on their part.

We are now in the a06 season.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old March 31st 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Sanjaya

"Jim Hackett" wrote in message
. com...
Is it just me, or do others find that in way over 50% of the time that I
hear something on "X" frequency at "Y" time, and look it up in Passport,
there's NOTHING listed?
Example: Right now, 23:23 on 15.340, I'm hearing some music that sounds
like it belongs in some musical. I look in Passport, there is NOTHING
listed for that freq/time...
Kind of defeats the purpose of buying the book...

I don't buy it anymore. I find more accurate information with the databases available online.
http://www.primetimeshortwave.com
http://www.eibi.vu
http://www.ilgradio.com/ilgradio.htm

Old March 31st 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Greg

In article ,
"Jim Hackett" wrote:

Is it just me, or do others find that in way over 50% of the time that I
hear something on "X" frequency at "Y" time, and look it up in Passport,
there's NOTHING listed?
Example: Right now, 23:23 on 15.340, I'm hearing some music that sounds
like it belongs in some musical. I look in Passport, there is NOTHING
listed for that freq/time...
Kind of defeats the purpose of buying the book...

I buy it for nostalgia, and for the cool cover illustrations.

Greg
Old March 31st 06, 01:50 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
rkhalona

Greg wrote:

I buy it for nostalgia, and for the cool cover illustrations.

and the equipment reviews and the ads..., but never for the schedules!
:-)

RK

Old March 31st 06, 01:50 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Jim Hackett

It's probably the best publication around if you're into Eton
advertisements!

Old March 31st 06, 02:54 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Invader3K

That's true. I think Eton must keep them in business.

I enjoy the book, and have bought it for the three past years. I
personally think they should condense the book a bit, lower the price
to about fifteen bucks US, and release two a year. One for "winter",
one for "summer." That way they could update things every six months.
It would definitely help the schedules sections. They could split up
the reviews...maybe the winter issue could handle tabletop receivers
and antennas, and the summer one could focus on portables, or
something. I mean, let's face it, there aren't that many new receivers
that come out every year anyway. Also, rather than just one feature
story per year (which is usually excellently written), they could
possibly do two.

As far as more accurate sources, primetimeshortwave.com is great, I
just wish it was a little more interactive in letting you search for
things, rather than having to scroll by time or frequency.

Old March 31st 06, 03:40 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
mike maghakian

I have been saying that for years...I own every issue and I keep buying them
but NOT for the schedules.

the internet is the ONLY source for schedules and stuff like that

I use a program that imports several databases so I always have the best
info available to me at all times

Old March 31st 06, 06:47 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Jim Hackett

Yea, I buy them every year too and have quite a collection. I'm not sure
WHY I keep buying them. Probably for the same reason I keep buying radio
after radio. obsessive compulsive disorder...

Old March 31st 06, 06:52 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
junius

rkhalona wrote:
Greg wrote:

I buy it for nostalgia, and for the cool cover illustrations.

and the equipment reviews and the ads..., but never for the schedules!
:-)

RK

The Addresses Plus section is pretty decent, too, I'd say.

A better editing job could be done on PWBR, though. On the WL-500
review in this year's Passport, it's stated that the unit has been
discontinued; nevertheless, it's written that "this is a new model" in
the next to last note (a failure to update a comment from the year in
which the antenna was first reviewed). I laughed aloud when I saw that
Eton's toll-free tech support was listed as one of the Eton Mini
300PE's "Cons". Is their tech support THAT bad??