Old April 19th 06, 04:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Ran

Default Question - Degen DE1108 - Will It Be A Super Radio ? - Or just another 'portable' radio that missed the mark ?

RHF - man, you are right on...the 1/3 power dial light for 60 sec on
batteries would be fantastic - and keep me from fumbling around in the
dark. Of course, we would still like the option of full power dial
light for 15 sec. Like you, I sure hope the Degen DE1108 is as
suggested (created from consideration of user suggestions) and not just

Old April 19th 06, 07:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Suggestions for the DE1108

Rechargable D cell (and other size rechargable batteries) batteries are
lighter weight than alkaline batteries and you can recharge rechargable
batteries and use them many,many times.With a 12 volt DC to 120 volt AC
inverter,you can use a battery charger and recharge the batteries from a
car battery.
cuhulin

Old April 19th 06, 10:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
James Douglas

Ran wrote:
I've reviewed tons of suggestions and most are great - but I have a
suggestion/request that I have not seen yet. Please include the ability
to keep the dial light on with batteries for more than 15 sec. Hey,
it's my batteries and if I want to run them down, give me that option.
It always seems that just about the time I reach to change the dial (on
most radio's I used) that the dial light goes out and I can't seen the
button I wanted to push. If nothing else, at least give us the ability
to keep the dial light on for about a minute before it goes out.

Everything else about the up coming DE1108 I love. Can't wait to get
one.

Ran

I want every radio to have a timer so I can go to sleep listening to it.
Funny but there are not a great number of radios with that simple thing.
Also, start making antenna's out of rubber, or some type of material
that does not break so easily. How many of us have broken antenna's I
broke mine on the grundig by trying to push it back into it's hole too
damm hard, snap!

Old April 20th 06, 09:54 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
HFguy

m II wrote:
Conan Ford wrote:

Too bad most Rechargable D cells are C-cells in D-cell cases, at
best. I have noticed a disturbing trend where AA rechargable NiMH
cells have a higher capacity than the D-cells.

I wouldn't be surprised if many D cells were indeed using AA cells inside.

=================================

http://www.buybymail.com/catalogitem/ciB00000J47O.html
==================================

mike

You can tell by the weight of a rechargable D-cell if it's really a 'C'
or 'AA' inside. The *real* D-cells are much heavier. You can still buy
real rechargable D-cells but they're expensive. I have some Panasonic
D-cell NiCd's that cost about $12.00 each. They have a capacity of
5000-mah. They're about five years old and still going strong.
Old April 20th 06, 05:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

James Douglas wrote:
Ran wrote:
[...]

FWIW the DE1103 has a sleep timer, and like you I find it useful for
those bedtime dx sessions.

I've never bent or broken an antenna, but I've seen enough of them to
figure out the solution. Just start from the bottom largest segment
and pull down. Don't push down from the top smaller segments.

Old April 20th 06, 06:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I have an old radio that fell over and slightly bent the
antenna.Otherwise,I have never bent or broken an antenna before.But like
John S.says,always push down from the largest antenna segments.
cuhulin

Old April 20th 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Junius makes a good point about battery consumption. The Degen 1101
is very easy on batteries but its much more sophisticated brother the
1103 wades through them. With all the bells and whistles on this
radio it may very well suck back a lot of juice.
Bob

Old April 20th 06, 08:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
junius

Degen is entering the market for an entirely different class of radio,
if this '1108 is to be all that the internet rumor hypes it up to be.
It seems to me that with this radio the incentive to order directly
from Guangdong will be considerably eroded:
* the unit will be larger and will weigh more, so shipping from China
would be higher;
* a feature-packed radio would understandably cost a lot more than the
Degens we've seen so far, so wouldn't you prefer a warranty on that
(i.e. buy Kaito) and not have to deal with shipping back to China if
something goes wrong?
* there is to be a design for the Chinese domestic market and another
for export...I wonder if there will be any differences beyond the
merely cosmetic?

How is Kaito on dealing with repair/warranty issues? Has anyone ever
had a Kaito repaired under warranty? Seems like with any real
problems, it'd be cheaper for them to just send out a new one w/the
models currently available...although I guess that wouldn't be the case
with an '1108, if it's of the level of sophistication that seems to be
expected.