Old May 16th 06, 07:08 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Michael A. Terrell

Default AMERICA AND STATE-RUN DRM "PUBLIC" RADIO SHORTWAVE BROADCASTING

Telamon wrote:

In article . com,
"Stephanie Weil" wrote:

On analog radios, look by the band switch indicator. You'll see them.

Ditto on ghetto blasters, look underneath the frequency numbers - 120
M, 90 M, 75 M, etc.

I'm looking at mine at work right now - a JVC from Singapore (from like
the early-mid 1990s). Unfortunately I can only pick up local FM in
this office building.

Every time I used meter band indication I got complaints from other
posters on the news group. People wold rather you stated the frequency
so I post 15 MHz band instead of 19 meters. I don't think anyone would
complain if you stated both.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Some of them would complain if you hung them with a new rope! ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old May 16th 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Stephanie Weil

Telamon

Every time I used meter band indication I got complaints from other
posters on the news group. People wold rather you stated the frequency
so I post 15 MHz band instead of 19 meters

I guess it has to do with what you've gotten used to.

See, I grew up listening to SW stations on ghettoblaster (jam box)
radio/cassette units. So I got used to spinning the regular knob until
you reach the desired wave band, then diddling the fine-tuning knob to
zero in on the frequency.

And that's how I think. Meter band and then that particular frequency
within that band.

Stephanie

Old May 16th 06, 06:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On 16 May 2006 08:53:57 -0700, "Stephanie Weil"
wrote:

Telamon

Every time I used meter band indication I got complaints from other
posters on the news group. People wold rather you stated the frequency
so I post 15 MHz band instead of 19 meters

I guess it has to do with what you've gotten used to.

See, I grew up listening to SW stations on ghettoblaster (jam box)
radio/cassette units. So I got used to spinning the regular knob until
you reach the desired wave band, then diddling the fine-tuning knob to
zero in on the frequency.

And that's how I think. Meter band and then that particular frequency
within that band.

Stephanie

That's how hams do it. And R. Moscow never gave frequencies, just
meter bands. In the age of the digital readouts you have to divide
the meter band into 300 to figure out what people are talking about,
unless you have that **** memorized (which I refuse to do).

Old May 17th 06, 04:11 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

In article . com,
"Stephanie Weil" wrote:

Telamon

Every time I used meter band indication I got complaints from other
posters on the news group. People wold rather you stated the frequency
so I post 15 MHz band instead of 19 meters

I guess it has to do with what you've gotten used to.

See, I grew up listening to SW stations on ghettoblaster (jam box)
radio/cassette units. So I got used to spinning the regular knob until
you reach the desired wave band, then diddling the fine-tuning knob to
zero in on the frequency.

And that's how I think. Meter band and then that particular frequency
within that band.

That is a good way to think. Paying attention to wavelengths helps make
antenna and transmission line concepts more understandable when dealing
with real world three dimensional objects. Frequency is more convenient
to use in circuit analysis.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California