Old June 14th 06, 01:41 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
mike maghakian

Default pro opinion on the Eton E1

one of the disadvantages of the internet is that any asshole can post an
opinion on the E1 even though he has no qualifications for making such
assertions.
In addition to people who are intelligent like Guy Atkins, there is another
source who people should not argue with in this case.
Dave Z and Larry Magne both assert the E1 is outstanding !

read this: http://passband.com/pages/receivernews.htm

Old June 14th 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

In article ,
"mike maghakian" wrote:

one of the disadvantages of the internet is that any asshole can post
an opinion on the E1 even though he has no qualifications for making
such assertions. In addition to people who are intelligent like Guy
Atkins, there is another source who people should not argue with in
this case. Dave Z and Larry Magne both assert the E1 is outstanding !

read this: http://passband.com/pages/receivernews.htm

The E1 specifications and operating features make it out to be a good
receiver. I remember having a favorable impression of it when
information became available about the unit.

A refurb at $399.95 sounds like a good deal.

Brian Hill is getting one soon so I'm sure we will hear about it from
him.

People that are just Trolling for an argument are best Plonked. Some
people are just not worth reading.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old June 14th 06, 06:04 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Rev. BeerNuts

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"mike maghakian" wrote:

The E1 specifications and operating features make it out to be a good
receiver. I remember having a favorable impression of it when
information became available about the unit.

A refurb at $399.95 sounds like a good deal.

.....anyone who would plunk down $400 plus change
for a 'refurbished' (Chinese made) Eton E1 needs to
have their respective head examined. This radio is NOT the
successor to the Sony 2010 boys and girls.

.....and besides, why on earth would anyone spend this
much cabbage on a short-wave radio when, for the most
part, short-wave broadcasting is chock-full of complete
paranoid whackjobs like Alex Jones, Racist separatists
like 'Pastor' Pete Peters and complete whackjobs like
Brother RG Stair ??

No thanks folks. : ) I'm not gonna spend $400 to buy
a short-wave when every-other-program on the dial
is either some PAYtriot scam artist trying to sell you
outrageously priced 'numismatic' gold coins of dubious
pedigree, carnival sideshow barkers who claim that their
"South Pole Magnetic Charged Water" (..just $29.95 a gallon)
will cure you of everything from baldness to stinky
feet...and of course Rev Billy Bob of the 1st Church of The
Creator in West Bumfrigg, Idaho who says that Jeezus H Christ
was a blond haired/blue eyed Aryan who fathered racially
pure white children via M. Magedeline in France......

Ha Ha Ha!!
-- Gay shlog dein kup en vant!

Old June 14th 06, 12:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Brian Hill

"Bart Bailey" wrote in message
In oups.com
posted on Wed, 14 Jun 2006 01:04:16 -0400, Rev. BeerNuts wrote:

This radio is NOT the
successor to the Sony 2010

Nope, not in the same league, the SW-77 was the successor to the 2010,
but the E1 is waay better than any Sony, I've had all three.

--

Bart

Yep and the specs prove it. It's the first portable who's specs are in
league with a good tabletop.

--

Regards
B.H.

Brian's Basement
http://webpages.charter.net/brianhill/6.htm

Brian's Radio Universe
http://webpages.charter.net/brianhill/500.htm

Old June 14th 06, 12:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

mike maghakian wrote:
one of the disadvantages of the internet is that any asshole can post an
opinion on the E1 even though he has no qualifications for making such
assertions.
In addition to people who are intelligent like Guy Atkins, there is another
source who people should not argue with in this case.
Dave Z and Larry Magne both assert the E1 is outstanding !

read this: http://passband.com/pages/receivernews.htm

Interesting update on that radio, although a quality issue like a
wobbly optical encoder is worrisome on a radio in that price range.
But more to the point just exactly what is a "Pro Opinion" and why
should it be given any more credibility than than the collective
opinions of users on on eham, radiointel, Yahoo or this forum. Also,
because Eton appears to be the single largest advertiser in PBWR
occupying several pages in the version I read, should reviews of their
radios be taken as truly independent?

I would take the well written opinons in PBWR to be just that and
nothing more. They are another source of information about radios but
not THE source.

That said I am impressed by the E1 and am seriously considering buying
one. But my decision will be influenced more by the opinions seen on
fora than one review in PBWR.

Old June 14th 06, 01:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

mike maghakian wrote:
one of the disadvantages of the internet is that any asshole can post an
opinion on the E1 even though he has no qualifications for making such
assertions.
In addition to people who are intelligent like Guy Atkins, there is another
source who people should not argue with in this case.
Dave Z and Larry Magne both assert the E1 is outstanding !

read this: http://passband.com/pages/receivernews.htm

Mikie, Mikie, Mikie - who cares what these guys think, the E1 is not
worth the money, per MY review:

NOTE: Watch out - the batteries blow up, when used with the AC adaptor
!

So, what is the point of plopping down $500 for this radio - there is
not much of interest on shortwave anymore, one can buy a $25 Radio
Shack digital PLL AM/FM radio for AM DXing (THE E1 DOESN'T EVEN HAVE AN
INTERNAL FERRITE-BAR ANTENNA, OR COME WITH A SATELLITE ANTENNA !), and
one can buy a satellite radio for $50, now. Also, after getting $500
in-the-hole, one gets to shell out a monthly fee for satellite radio,
plus an activation fee - a bigger ripoff than cable T.V. !
Evidentually, there are major technical problems with the actual
satellites, so its future is in question !

So, what is the bottom-line ? Well let's see, $500 for the radio,
probably another $100 - $200 for the AM and satellite external
antennas, $9 - $12 monthly fee, and the activation fee. Is this another
blunder by Grundig/Eton/Tecsun, or a total ripoff - I suspect a bit of
both !

This baby, I believe, is assembled in India, while the rest of the
Grundig/Eton/Tecsun junk is made in China. I wonder, if the E1 is as
cheap as, the Grundig S350 ?

This is a copy of a post from gearlog.com (the BBC and "Voice of the
Andes" are now gone from SW, too):

Shortwave Eton E1
Posted by: Larry N.
Monday, October 31, 2005 8:03 PM

David,
I am shocked your would recommend this new radio from Eton.
Honest?, DO YOU KNOW WHAT IS WRONG WITH IT?
It does not have Digital Radio Mondale! Who in 2005/2006 would spend
$500.00 for a top of the line portable without it? In few years the
shortwave part of this radio will be useless. DW is leaving analog
shortwave by June 2006. Radio New Zealand by the end of December 2006.

I would hope you would admit your mistake and if not withdrawing your
recommendation at least make note of the lack of Digital Radio Mondale
and why that is important!

73
Larry

AND Mikie, I just read that the major stockholder in XM Satellite Radio
sold off its shares - it may go under ! A pretty receiver (aren't all
the Grundig/Eton/Tecsun junk), that will make a nice FM radio.

Old June 14th 06, 01:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Thinking Positive About "My" Eton E1 Radio ! -and- Simply Enjoying the Listening Experience :o)

RHF wrote:
MM,

Thinking Positive About "My" Eton E1 Radio !
-and- Simply Enjoying the Listening Experience )

Many people 'bashed' the original production of the
Grundig Satellit 800 Millennium Radios for poor quality
-and- Had Valid Issues {Criticism} with the early build
and technical flaws of the Radio.

Today many more consider the Grundig Satellit 800
Millennium Radios to be a very good Shortwave
Program Listening Radios that are enjoyable to
Listen to.

The Eton E1 AM / FM Shortwave Radios with 'optional'
XM Satellite Radio is 'not perfect' -but- it does fill a
nitch at the High-End of the 'portable' AM / FM Shortwave
Radio market and does offer some interesting features
for the Shortwave Listeners.

It is my humble opinion - that like the Grundig Satellit
800 Millennium Radio "In-Time" the Eton E1 Radio will
earn the respect of Shortwave Listeners (SWLs) for
being good at what it does - in the package of a 'portable'
AM / FM Shortwave Radio.

REVIEWS AND INFO ABOUT :
The Eton E1 AM / FM Shortwave Receiver
with 'opinional' XM Satellite Radio :

* Monitoring Times "First Look" Report / Review
of the Eton E1 AM / FM Shortwave Receiver
with 'opinional' XM Satellite Radio
http://www.monitoringtimes.com/html/...k-etone1xm.pdf

* eHAM Reviews of the Eton E1 AM / FM Shortwave
Receiver with 'opinional' XM Satellite Radio
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/5353

* Radio Intel .Com Review of the Eton E1 AM / FM
Shortwave Receiver with 'opinional' XM Satellite Radio
http://www.radiointel.com/review-etone1.htm
-written by- Jay Allen

As For Me - I Am Thinking Positive About "My" Eton E1 Radio !
-and- Simply Enjoying the Listening Experience )

WANT MORE INFO :
For more Eton E1 Receiver and Grundig Satellit 800 Radio Info :
.
Eton E1 XM AM/FM Shortwave Radio Owner-Users Group on YAHOO !
- - - All are Welcome and Invited-to-Join the E1 XM Group.
.
Grundig Satellit 800 Millennium Owner-Users Group on YAHOO !
- - - All are Welcome and Invited-to-Join the GS800M Group.

e1'ing you all ~ RHF

. . .
.
. .
.
. . . O u t !

mike maghakian wrote:
one of the disadvantages of the internet is that any asshole can post an
opinion on the E1 even though he has no qualifications for making such
assertions.
In addition to people who are intelligent like Guy Atkins, there is another
source who people should not argue with in this case.
Dave Z and Larry Magne both assert the E1 is outstanding !

read this: http://passband.com/pages/receivernews.htm

.
.
. .

Well RHF, if you, "HAVE to think positive about your E1", then you have
started to question your own judgement, and are having to convince
yourself that you made a good decision to buy this over-priced already
out-dated receiver (we all know you didn't). You guys are on the
defensive, reading all the reviews, which is something you should have
done in the first place ! Keep trying to convince yourselves !

HA HA HA !!!

I'm out there and lovin' it !!!

Old June 14th 06, 03:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

John S. wrote:
Also,
because Eton appears to be the single largest advertiser in PBWR
occupying several pages in the version I read, should reviews of their
radios be taken as truly independent?

Good point, John. I haven't read any reviews that denied that the E1 is
a fine portable. What I have read are reviews that find a flaw here or
there. For example, some have said that the E1 is not as sensitive on
SW as some of the Sony portables, while others have said that the E1
cannot accommodate as much of an antenna as the S800s. These reviews
then go on to assert that the E1 is nevertheless a fine radio.
Overpriced, perhaps, but so are many other portables. However, the
reaction to some E1 boosters to these reviews is bizarre. I'm afraid
that the E1 is taking the place of the S800 as "the portable about
which one is only allowed to speak praise". I even encountered one guy
who refused to believe that the E1 had no internal ferrite antenna. He
insisted that there was an excellent ferrite loop, but Eton had
"reasons" for wanting to deny that it was there. This is sheer
craziness.

You'll never get 100% consensus on any radio. That being the case,
people should be free to voice their opinions without getting trounced
on. And if you like the E1, you should just enjoy it and not feel
defensive. More power to you, I say.

Steve

Old June 14th 06, 06:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

RHF wrote:
GSW - At least you are consistent . . .
You even have a Negative-Spin on Thinking Positive !

glad i am me and not you - smiling and happy ~ RHF
.
.
. .

wrote:
MM,

mike maghakian wrote:
[...]

RHF - Actually, I smile everytime I hear one of you suckers have ****ed
away $500+, for this already out-dated receiver ! And what did it get
you ? Nothing ! Got to have, "the latest and greatest" - thinking with
the wrong head ! You know the truth; that is why you always respond
with personal attacks.