Old September 3rd 03, 04:50 AM
Stepan Novotill

Putting the bulbs in series seems to qualify as an improvement.
Perhaps that would not hold up in court, but we all know the law is an
ass.

On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 03:37:43 GMT, Jeffrey D Angus

[ snip ]

Now with the above facts in mind, which do you think is safer?

That's the same logic that dictates about how much money the
school board can save by NOT installing fire sprinklers in a
school building.

Jeff

Old September 3rd 03, 11:27 AM
Watson A.Name - Watt Sun

In article ,
mentioned...

nobody wrote:

In
wrote:

But in 1978 I wired the 2 bulbs in the each of the EXIT
lights in the church in series.

Congratulations, you probably bypassed a safety feature. If they're in
parallel, if one burns out the other keeps going. In series, if one
goes they're both out, and the exit sign is no longer visible.

But if he'd have left them in parallel, they most certainly would have
both burned out long ago! :-p

Cheers,
Fred

I gotta tell you what happened at work last week. The head of
security came over and told us that someone had complained that one of
our tables was blocking the door (it's a temporary setup). The head
of registration told him that she put it there to keep the students
from leaving. The security guy says, but that's an emergency exit,
see that sign up there?

So she says, oh, ok. Well, then, can we move the sign?

:-)))

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@ h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###
Subject: line with other stuff. alondra101 at hotmail.com
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers. Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't
changed it: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html
@@t@h@e@@a@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@m@e@e@t@@t@h@e@@E@f@f@l@ u@e@n@t@@
Old September 3rd 03, 11:40 AM
Watson A.Name - Watt Sun

In article ,
mentioned...

nobody wrote:

In
wrote:

But in 1978 I wired the 2 bulbs in the each of the EXIT
lights in the church in series.

Congratulations, you probably bypassed a safety feature. If they're in
parallel, if one burns out the other keeps going. In series, if one
goes they're both out, and the exit sign is no longer visible.

Thanks for the congratulations! Regarding safety: there are 6 exit
lights, which had to be re-lamped 3 - 4 times per year. So the new
wiring saved 25 (years) x 6 (lights) x 3.5 (relampings per year)
or 525 trips up and down the ladder. It also kept hands and fingers
out of electrically hot fixtures 525 times. Those fixtures are
required to be on 24x7 - the only way to turn them off is at the
breaker. So it saved 525 flips of the breaker - or more likely, it
saved 525 instances of fingers inside a fixture that was electrically
hot, human nature being what it is. The need for re-painting has
also been reduced (more ladder climbing), but I cannot quantify
that. With the old wiring, the wall and ceiling above the exit
signs used to get dirty a lot sooner than it does now.

Now with the above facts in mind, which do you think is safer?

Neither. Nowadays they put the exit signs down low, because the
rising smoke from the fire fills up the rooms and the exit signs can't
be seen. :-(

Hey, I agree with you. But instead, I would have used higher voltage
lamps, two in parallel. Decent LEDs were hard to get back in the
'70s. Another solution might be to use neon lamps.

Old September 3rd 03, 11:49 AM
Watson A.Name - Watt Sun

In article ,
mentioned...

wrote:
[ snip ]

Now with the above facts in mind, which do you think is safer?

That's the same logic that dictates about how much money the
school board can save by NOT installing fire sprinklers in a
school building.

Jeff

I dunno about where you live, but I believe Calif. state law requires
that sprinklers be installed, so the school board has no choice. And
even if there was no law, the school board would have to submit the
building or remodeling plans for approval to the state board of
education, and that would be the end of it. If it didn't meet their
approval, it would be sent back to the architect for additions or
changes.

The fire chief told us that the architect did something really stupid.
They spec'd that sprinklers be installed in our computer room, which
is protected by a 'halon' system. So if there's a fire, all the
equipment gets water damaged. Stoopid. But the sprinklers are there,
just in case..

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@ h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/e...s/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted. *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers. Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't
changed it: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html
@@t@h@e@@a@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@m@e@e@t@@t@h@e@@E@f@f@l@ u@e@n@t@@

Hint on replacement for Yaesu panel lamps Carl R. Stevenson Equipment 4 January 16th 04 05:35 PM
Hint on replacement for Yaesu panel lamps Carl R. Stevenson Equipment 0 January 3rd 04 03:23 AM
Nordmende Globetraveler Super dial lamps Robert Sarbell Shortwave 2 October 13th 03 02:52 AM
Lamps? Bob Homebrew 186 September 26th 03 05:26 AM
Lamps? Bob Homebrew 0 August 26th 03 10:37 PM