Old September 3rd 03, 01:31 PM
Ban

Watson A.Name - Watt Sun wrote:
Hey, I agree with you. But instead, I would have used higher voltage

lamps, two in parallel. Decent LEDs were hard to get back in the
'70s. Another solution might be to use neon lamps.

You mean flourescent lights. neon lamps need a high voltage transformer. :-(
you will not want them for emergency lights, as they are often the cause of
the emergency themselves.
BTW also fluorescent lights have many shortcomings, in a cold
environment(Alaska?) they extinguish and won't start at even moderately cold
temperatures. They need some electronics inside the socket and finally last
not longer than special longlife bulbs, that is 6000h, which is not even 1
year. Of course the efficiency is much higher even if you add the loss of
the electronics (which is usually not accounted for).

Here in my building we have flourescent lights in the emergency lights, but
they are always off and only light up at power loss. They have a 12Ah 12V
gel-battery inside and will power the 5W lamp for not even 24h, not enough
if we have a blackout like in NY. But fortunaterly that has never happened
so far.

ciao Ban
Bordighera,Italy

Old September 3rd 03, 03:17 PM
Phil Munro

My limited experience with a group of exit lights is that they used
special expensive bulbs, but the electric supply place I went to find
replacements suggested some relatively new (at the time) replacements
which had a significantly long life spec. They were (are) neon bulbs as
I remember, and they have lasted many years. Well worth the money.
Exit fixtures have specs on what bulbs are to be used, I think.
Also, as someone stated wrongly about neon bulbs requiring high
voltage, they instead need series R to limit the current. --Phil

nobody wrote:
In wrote:

But in 1978 I wired the 2 bulbs in the each of the EXIT lights in
the church in series.

Congratulations, you probably bypassed a safety feature. If they're
in parallel, if one burns out the other keeps going. In series, if
one goes they're both out, and the exit sign is no longer visible.

Youngstown State University
Youngstown, Ohio 44555

Old September 3rd 03, 06:15 PM
Lizard Blizzard

Ban wrote:

Watson A.Name - Watt Sun wrote:

Hey, I agree with you. But instead, I would have used higher voltage

lamps, two in parallel. Decent LEDs were hard to get back in the
'70s. Another solution might be to use neon lamps.

You mean flourescent lights. neon lamps need a high voltage transformer. :-(

Neon lamps need a current limiting resistor, something like 47k or so,
but not a transformer. Some of the screw base neons have the resistor
built into the base. Some of the ones I've seen have a standard sized
'edison' lamp base with a glass envelope that's about twice the size of
the base. They last something like tens of thousands of hours. They
would solve the problem of burned out filaments.

Old September 3rd 03, 06:33 PM
Sven Franklyn Weil

In article , Lizard Blizzard wrote:
Neon lamps need a current limiting resistor, something like 47k or so,
but not a transformer. Some of the screw base neons have the resistor

That's the case with the teenytiny neon night-lights that are commonly
built into clock radios and things. They sell those at Radio Shack.
Bought a two-pack there last year.

The large neon tube signs need a ballast in order to kick start the
tube...similar to fluorecent lights.

--
Sven Weil
New York City, U.S.A.
Old September 3rd 03, 07:08 PM
Randy and/or Sherry

Sven Franklyn Weil wrote:
In article , Lizard Blizzard wrote:

Neon lamps need a current limiting resistor, something like 47k or so,
but not a transformer. Some of the screw base neons have the resistor

That's the case with the teenytiny neon night-lights that are commonly
built into clock radios and things. They sell those at Radio Shack.
Bought a two-pack there last year.

The large neon tube signs need a ballast in order to kick start the
tube...similar to fluorecent lights.

What is it? full moon? (no, that's a week away). I guess some young'uns
just enjoy arguing what they don't know about... ;-)

Look up the following:

NE-30, NE-34, NE-40 and NE-56.

At three watts on an edison base - the NE-40 is an impressive Neon bulb.
(and yes it runs fine on 120VAC - in fact it'll fire at about 85V)

best regards...
--
randy guttery

A Tender Tale - a page dedicated to those Ships and Crews
so vital to the United States Silent Service:
http://tendertale.com

Old September 3rd 03, 07:19 PM
Sven Franklyn Weil

In article , Randy and/or Sherry wrote:
At three watts on an edison base - the NE-40 is an impressive Neon bulb.
(and yes it runs fine on 120VAC - in fact it'll fire at about 85V)

I keep forgetting about those decorative neon flicker bulbs - the ones
with two closely positioned plates cut out in the shapes of crosses,
stars of David, fish, women, flames, etc.

Those are so delicate that one little tap can send one of those lamps into
convulsions and possibly premature failure.

I had a set of the flames in a menorah and every year there's one or two
that just ... go out...maybe they're all too close together (about inch or
two apart).

Isn't there an issue with capacitance between those bulbs if they're close
together that causes them to go nuts?

--
Sven Weil
New York City, U.S.A.
Old September 3rd 03, 07:23 PM
clare @ snyder.on .ca

On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 10:15:14 -0700, Lizard Blizzard
wrote:

Ban wrote:

Watson A.Name - Watt Sun wrote:

Hey, I agree with you. But instead, I would have used higher voltage

lamps, two in parallel. Decent LEDs were hard to get back in the
'70s. Another solution might be to use neon lamps.

You mean flourescent lights. neon lamps need a high voltage transformer. :-(

Neon lamps need a current limiting resistor, something like 47k or so,
but not a transformer. Some of the screw base neons have the resistor
built into the base. Some of the ones I've seen have a standard sized
'edison' lamp base with a glass envelope that's about twice the size of
the base. They last something like tens of thousands of hours. They
would solve the problem of burned out filaments.

The only problem is the (described) Neon lamp does not provide a high
enough light output for emergency egress signs. They tend to be a very
weak, flickering orange. Make a good pilot light, but not much more.

Hint on replacement for Yaesu panel lamps Carl R. Stevenson Equipment 4 January 16th 04 05:35 PM
Hint on replacement for Yaesu panel lamps Carl R. Stevenson Equipment 0 January 3rd 04 03:23 AM
Nordmende Globetraveler Super dial lamps Robert Sarbell Shortwave 2 October 13th 03 02:52 AM
Lamps? Bob Homebrew 186 September 26th 03 05:26 AM
Lamps? Bob Homebrew 0 August 26th 03 10:37 PM