Old November 20th 05, 09:54 PM posted to rec.radio.swap
Caveat Lector

Default Bye Bye CW

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

"Caveat Lector" wrote in message
First off currently THE CODE TEST IS A REQUIREMENT -- PERIOD

And if you want something bad enough, you buckle down and DO IT, whether
you like, dislike, will use, or NEVER use the code. All the arguments
against the code are beside the point.

It is NOT the code that stops folks.

It is the time, dedication, and good old Yankee can do.

For example, I have tutored folks on the mores code.

The average person needs about 30 hours of study and practice on the code
to hit 5 wpm. More than 90% of those that stuck to it -- passed the code
test. The other 10% required more time and most made it.

Soon the code will go away as a requirement

But then we will undoubtedly hear -- Aw gee I have to take a test on
regulations, electronics, ad nausea

It is the motivated can doers in this world that get ahead and succeed.
The rest endlessly complain, make excuses and get no where.

In Navy Aviation Electronics school, we had to pass the code test at 8
WPM in order to continue on in the school. Many hated it, complained,
I'll never use it, etc.

Until our old Chief instructor sed to us -- you will learn the code or
you will find yourself in the boiler room of an Oil Tanker.

You know what -- we ALL passed

--

APPLAUSE

Hell, if a no-talent hack like me can learn it, anyone can. I made it fun
for myself by designing a code tutor program on my old Vic 20 computer.
Coded tones to ASCII, so that as I hit a key it would give me the proper
Morse equivalent.

Brenda Ann I have seen your posts here and else where and I want to tell the
world you are one talented sharp lady.
Remember my quizzes of the day -- you got em all right -- twas fun posts

High IQ has nothing to do with learning the code, if it did I'd be in
trouble (;-)
--
CL -- trouble free at the moment
I doubt, therefore I might be !

Old November 20th 05, 10:16 PM posted to rec.radio.swap

You do a good job of living in the past.

I prefer to look forward and not to preface everything in the past tense.

To each his own....

The problem is that very few in today's society that have anything to
contribute to the Amateur Radio Service "want it bad enough" to show progess
in the reverse direction by learning code as a symbol of their ability.

I can't blame them. All the time, dedication, hard work, etc. that they
spend pursuing a pertinent occupation and skills are not well represented in
a hobby/service that is backward in it's vision of the future.

Enjoy you last few months of destroying the Amateur Radio Service.

After that, you can spend the remainder of your existence complaining about
the re-establishment of Amateur Radio as a viable solution for future
communications needs; if it isn't too late for that.

I'll continue to hone my technical skills; as limited as they may be. I
will continue doing repairs for those with a "higher" grade license than I
do because they spent more time on CW than theory and practical experience.
I will continue to meet the General, Advanced, and Extras on the other end
of a soldering iron or computer program; addressing their needs in the
technical areas. I will continue to expand my knowledge of items that could
be helpful in emergency communications, while others attempt to justify
trying to compete with Pactor III using a J38.

CW in today's society had the same romance value as Cervantes jousting at
Windmills.

Pound Away........

BTW, I fed all of your comments into the Spock-O-Meter, and after minimal
analysis, the display read Illogical.....

[...]

CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

wrote in message
I know.

I live close to Jekyll Island.

They seem to be one of the largest old car show sites in the South East.

I see lots of old cars being trailered (some even driven) to shows there
nearly every month.

It doesn't inspire me to go out and get one to depend on to transport
myself or family.

But, they do exist, and the shows to display them - Just like CW and
contests.

The interstate is loaded with older model cars also. However, I chose to
drive something that is more dependable.

Many prospective Hams with highly technical minds have never given any
consideration to the Amateur Radio Service due to it's nearly hysterical
zeal for using CW as a "Filter". In the meantime, they use their
knowledge to design the future. It is a shame we couldn't get their
attention with antiquated thinking guiding the requirements for joining
our ranks.

And so the continuing tribulations of the relay-minded in a digital
world.

I hope you are still sending binary oscillations from a momentary contact
push-button switch - at least using a solid state rig. I hope that you
at least acknowledge that there is hope for solid state electronics over
hollow state; even though tube gear still exists.....

What you choose to drive or do with you radio gear is a matter of
personal choice. After the first quarter of 2006, many Hams choices of
operation below 50 MHz will increase; no code involved.

I hope it isn't a matter of too little, too late to preserve the spectrum
entrusted to us.

Get over it.

David
KD4NUE

"Caveat Lector" wrote in message
newso3gf.8395$qw.5592@fed1read07...
Well at URL:
http://www.hornucopia.com/contestcal/contestcal.html

Find at least 40 more CW Contests ONLY
Not counting the ones that are both CW and SSB

Just listen to the bands -- ANYTIME -- loaded with CW signals

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

wrote in message
Its those other 363 1/4 days in a year you have to justify now....

FWIW, the FCC, ITU, IARU, WARC and a few other Alphabet-Soup
organizations don't share the zeal that you and the ARRL do concerning
CW. Maybe that should serve as a small hint.

As it stands now, even the most casual disinterested observer has come
to the conclusion that CW as a requirement is detrimental to the
Amateur Radio Service's survival.

I personally like the appeal of Nostalgia. I have some old tube items,
collect old glass bottles, some coins, etc. However - I haven't tried
to make that a requirement for the continuation of life for anyone
around me.

Your mileage may vary. I have friends who, on occaision, have to
re-shoe their horses. However, they don't petition the State Police to
make Shoing a Horse a requirement for getting a Driver's License.

For those who seem to be a little shy on observational capabilities,
digital is most likely here to stay. ISDN specs ushered in during the
late 1980s and early 1990s should have been a dead give-away to this
trend; and that was nearly 2 decades ago.

The lack of acknowledgement of the ARRL to the changing times has
already taken a large toll. I hope the coming restructuring, in
regards to dropping CW, isn't too little too late.

For those diehards that want to punish every one with CW as a
requirement, the younger Hams have formed an organization of their own;
"Pallbearers 'R Us", and they will most likely get the last word in the
matter.

Pound Away,

David
KD4NUE

"Caveat Lector" wrote in message
Well during the ARRL Field Day, 2005, there were over 500,000 CW
contacts made from 2212 entrants
Thats just one weekend bucko.
See QST December 2005

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

"hamradiostuffing"
wrote in message . ..

I think it is just time realize that no one is going to use CW
anymore.
Sure a horse get you from A to B. How often does that happen when
ther
are cars around. CW is going to go away and there is nothing a
person
can do about it.

You hope all you want the keep it but it will do you no good. The
world
changes ham radio is dying and that is just the way it is.

Ham radio has changed and has become advanced CB operators some of
which are EXTRA License holders. Like getting drunk ON HF and being
pain in the neck to others is a good example.

--
hamradiostuffing

Old November 21st 05, 05:16 AM posted to rec.radio.swap
David G. Nagel

As far as the horse goes. Saturday while I was enroute to the Ft. Wayne
hamfest as I was gasing up the old Element a couple rode by in their one
horse buggy, waved very friendly at us at the $2.08 per gallon pumps and
kept right on truckin. Gas has dropped a dollar in the past month or
so. The cost of hay has something to go for it.

Dave WD9BDZ

Josh wrote:

I think not ! Lovers of Morse are the musicians of WIRELESS

Always will be - CW LIVES

from CW Zealot !

"hamradiostuffing" wrote in
message . ..

I think it is just time realize that no one is going to use CW anymore.
Sure a horse get you from A to B. How often does that happen when ther
are cars around. CW is going to go away and there is nothing a person
can do about it.

You hope all you want the keep it but it will do you no good. The world
changes ham radio is dying and that is just the way it is.

Ham radio has changed and has become advanced CB operators some of
which are EXTRA License holders. Like getting drunk ON HF and being a