Old December 16th 03, 12:13 AM
jerry franks

It's not "Best Wishes" but "Best Regards"

Old December 16th 03, 12:19 AM

"Richard Cranium" wrote in message
om...
" wrote in message

Marty:

73 or 73s .. the idea is the same and neither reduces intelligibility.

Not correct. "73" (singular) translates to "best wishes" (plural). 73s
would thus translate to "best wisheses", which definitely reduces
intelligibility.

Name or handle... the idea is the same and neither reduces

intelligibility.
Personally, I usually say "I hight Paul." After all, this is more
classically than either Name or Handle. It does reduce intelligibility,

of
course, but that seems to be a small price to pay in exchange for being
correct.

Whenever someone asks me for my "handle", I just say "My name is
Richard". That gets the point across pretty well.

73(s)

Paul AB0SI

"best wishes" is not a true plural. It is idiomatic. One can not parse a
language word by word.. Natural language does not work that way.

73s may grate on your ears, but the meaning is completely clear.

Paul

Old December 16th 03, 01:13 AM
Marty B.

Well to me 73`sss and "HANDLE" reminds me of CB`ers, on the ham bands
and I hate hearing it.

Old December 16th 03, 01:44 AM
Dick, AA5VU

In article ,
"Marty B." wrote:

Well to me 73`sss and "HANDLE" reminds me of CB`ers, on the ham bands
and I hate hearing it.

"jerry franks" wrote in message
It's not "Best Wishes" but "Best Regards"

It's just 73 and on CW is is

73 de AA5VU AR (or SK)
Old December 16th 03, 01:46 AM
Noon-Air

My name is Steve

My handle is for the pleasure of my xyl

73

.net...

Old December 16th 03, 03:33 AM
VHFRadioBuff

73 OR 73`ss IN AMATEUR RADIO WE SHOULD USE 73 .

And this has WHAT to do with radio gear for sale?
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
73! de Andy KC2SSB - WPYI880 (GMRS)
Beachwood, NJ USA! Grid FM29vw
http://vhfradiobuff.tripod.com
Old December 16th 03, 12:21 PM
Gudguyham

When someone asks me "what is your handle?" I reply, MY NAME is Lou and my
handle is BROKEN....:-)
Old December 16th 03, 01:31 PM
K5DH

The correct term is "73", from ARRL numbered radiogram
"Seventy-Three", which means "Best Regards." Saying 73s
would be like saying "Best Regardses." Some people say
"Best of 73s", which means "Best of Best Regardses." I
have also heard "Very best of 73s", which would translate
to "Very Best of Best Regardses." You figure it out.

Funny how this is only a debate for 'phone ops. CW ops
just send "73", never "73s".

"Handle" is not actually a CB term. From my reading of
ancient amateur texts, hams used the term "handle" long
before CB was an ill-conceived idea in Gettysburg. Over
the course of time, however, "handle" has become clearly
associated with CB and no longer with amateur radio. I
choose to use the term "name" rather than "handle." The
one term that I really hate is "personal", as in, "The
personal here is Doofus." That's a CB term all the way.

While not part of this discussion, I'll also throw in
another opinion. 10-codes should be used by CBers and
law enforcement professionals, not by radio amateurs.

73,
Dean K5DH

In article ,
says...

73 OR 73`ss IN AMATEUR RADIO WE SHOULD USE 73 .

I HEAR PEOPLW ASK ME WHAT MY HANDLE IS ...HUH ?
IS THIS A CB LINGO ??

I DO HAVE A NAME NOT A HANDLE....

73 ! HAVE A GOOD DAY......

Old December 16th 03, 01:59 PM
Dave Hollander

My name is Dave and my handle is aluminum or "aluminium" for the VE's
and G stations

Old December 16th 03, 02:16 PM
gw

"Bill" wrote in message . ..
In looking back at old ham publications from the early 60's, as well as
license guides with operating techniques explained, I have seen the
reference to "handle" as appropriate terminology, well before the CB influx.
The resistance to the use became evident (at least around here), when 2M got
populated by herds of former cb'ers, and I'm not talking no code, I'm
talking 1970-80 era, who did everything they could to distance themselves
from "Chicken Band" and pretend that they were never there. For a while, the
"name" was used on VHF, while oldtimers on HF, especially CW, would refer to
"handles". It has since died away.
And if 73 causes such consternation, imaging what someone who wished you
88's would bring!!

bill is it necessary for you to rub salt in old wounds???? don't
confuse the issue with facts.....we all know that present day hams
were never into cb radio and that's a fact jack.....well got to go
take a 10-100 and give stevo a 42...be back in a minute.....