Old January 26th 04, 03:38 PM
Eric Behr

In article ,
Dick wrote:
Looks like a normal posting to me. I don't see any message.

On 26 Jan 2004 05:12:14 GMT, (Eric Behr) wrote:

Not quite on topic, but I just ran across an eBay listing that seems
to be censored here (QTH is Illinois USA):

"Unfortunately, access to this particular category or item has been
blocked due to legal restrictions in your home country. Based on our
discussions with concerned government agencies and eBay community
members, we have taken these steps to reduce the chance of inappropriate
items being displayed."

This is what I see under
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ategory=46 75

Well, it is the browser. I'm getting that message whenever I use
Safari. Other browsers, even esoteric, show a normal listing (opera
and lynx on Solaris, mozilla). Thanks to everyone who replied. I
sent a query to eBay. Hmmm, interesting...

--
Eric Behr | NIU Mathematical Sciences | (815) 753 6727
Old January 26th 04, 11:44 PM
PowerHouse CB & Scanner

"Eric Behr" wrote in message
In article ,

Well, it is the browser. I'm getting that message whenever I use
Safari. Other browsers, even esoteric, show a normal listing (opera
and lynx on Solaris, mozilla). Thanks to everyone who replied. I
sent a query to eBay. Hmmm, interesting...

Apparently it is not "trackable" or "traceable" enough for eBay, so they
won't allow it...

*Comment based upon a previously post URL
(http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/pages/S...?itemNo=264863)

Old January 27th 04, 01:14 AM
Bill Crocker

It should be censored! That thing is dirty!!!

Bill Crocker

"Eric Behr" wrote in message
Not quite on topic, but I just ran across an eBay listing that seems
to be censored here (QTH is Illinois USA):

"Unfortunately, access to this particular category or item has been
blocked due to legal restrictions in your home country. Based on our
discussions with concerned government agencies and eBay community
members, we have taken these steps to reduce the chance of inappropriate
items being displayed."

This is what I see under

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ategory=46 75
What the h***?

The description makes me doubt that someone is trying to sell a nuke
warhead or a James Bond laser watch. Is eBay now ridiculously bending
over to please the homeland security folks? Can anyone anywhere access
this ad? Thanks.

Old January 27th 04, 03:28 AM
Eric Behr

In article ,
PowerHouse CB & Scanner wrote:

"Eric Behr" wrote in message
In article ,

Well, it is the browser. I'm getting that message whenever I use
Safari. Other browsers, even esoteric, show a normal listing (opera
and lynx on Solaris, mozilla). Thanks to everyone who replied. I
sent a query to eBay. Hmmm, interesting...

Apparently it is not "trackable" or "traceable" enough for eBay, so they
won't allow it...

Possibly. But it's curious that my brother can access it just
fine with Safari from Germany. And a colleague to whom I showed
the page said that he'd seen that "error" several times (with
Explorer, so the browser wasn't an issue) while searching eBay
for war memorabilia. So it looks like eBay is indeed preventing
US users from viewing some content. Brave new world.

I sent a query to eBay, but I'm not holding my breath for an
accurate explanation. Again, thanks all for comments and info.

Old January 27th 04, 03:54 AM
Brenda Ann

"Eric Behr" wrote in message
In article ,
PowerHouse CB & Scanner wrote:

"Eric Behr" wrote in message
In article ,

[...]

I get a normal listing for an old WWII radio transmitter/receiver here. I
live in Korea, but am a US user (attached to the military).

Old January 27th 04, 04:19 AM
Eric Behr

In article ,
Brenda Ann wrote:

I get a normal listing for an old WWII radio transmitter/receiver here. I
live in Korea, but am a US user (attached to the military).

Yes, I know - it just ticks me off that Northern Illinois (and Mac
software) seems to have become a new component of the Axis of Evil,
according to eBay. Thanks.

Actually, this seems to be going back to Jan. 2003 at least. Search
for "hickley sinister safari" at groups.google.com