Old May 22nd 04, 05:50 PM
Roland Stiner

It was sad to see so many empty booths inside and out. Even some of
the regulars like Mosley, HAL, QRZ DX/DX Magazine, etc. were not there
this year. Surplus Sales of Nebraska had only a small token booth
instead of their usual big one. The big tent out in the flea market
that had several aisles of vendors was not there this year. The DX and
Contest forums that used to hold a big standing room only crowd were
relegated to a small "meeting" room. Regular forums like the excellent
"mobile radio installation and noise reduction" session were not held
there this year.

Sad.....

Ham radio's dying... fast.

Roland, NK2U

Old May 22nd 04, 08:36 PM
dbn

Roland if it is dying fast what are you doing help it stay alive????
Folks that keep tolling the death bell for ham radio are just helping ham
radio to die faster....

--
If I am tired now, why do I have to RETIRE later?

Old May 22nd 04, 09:47 PM
Roland Stiner

Roland if it is dying fast what are you doing help it stay alive????
Folks that keep tolling the death bell for ham radio are just helping ham
radio to die faster....

Unfortunatly, there is nothing you can do. You can't create interest in
youth with more modern, advanced technology all around.

Roland

Old May 24th 04, 03:56 AM
Mike Coslo

On Tue, 18 May 2004 17:06:52 GMT,
TUFF (John
Goller, k9uwa) wrote:

In article 1drqc.112183$Ik.9147885@attbi_s53,
says...

John k9uwa

Forgot one...
the Dayton Convention Buro .. sets the prices that the Hotels
Charge for Hamvention as well as all other Conventions..

100 bucks plus for a Holiday Inn Express ... is a little on the
high side!

I probably shouldn't tell you this John.

We stayed in Troy, 19 miles north on I 75 for 57.00 a night.

Our 2nd year in that location......15 minute drive.

Yup, I stayed in Middletown for 49.00/night. I didn't have any 3 or 4
night minimum either.

This is only my second year at Dayton, so I can't comment on any "glory
days" but:

The flea had a lot more ham radio oriented stuff this year than last
year. Last year I wasn't sure if I was at a festival for vintage 486
computer sales and 1985 Motorola UHF handi-talkies or a Hamfest. The
flea was more interesting from a Ham outlook this year IMO.

Hara was doing a better job on the rest rooms compared to last year.
probably 50 percent less stink.

But Hara is without doubt getting old and run down. Presuming a person
is keeping their eyes open inside the building, it is obvious to see. I
can understand DARA's loyalty, but if Hara doesn't do some serious
upgrading soon, Dayton Hamfest will start to appear as old and run down
as the facilities it is held in.

The Hara parking lot where the flea is held is pretty sad. A couple
more years, and the macadam will be gone. You really have to watch your
step to keep from tripping on the potholes and non-level repairs.

Those mud wrestling pits....erm... parking lots beside the building are
pretty awful. I park at the Derelict mall and find that to be a pretty
good alternative.

But, I'll be there next year if all goes well.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old May 25th 04, 07:43 PM
Ken Finney

"Roland Stiner" wrote in message
It was sad to see so many empty booths inside and out. Even some of
the regulars like Mosley, HAL, QRZ DX/DX Magazine, etc. were not there
this year. Surplus Sales of Nebraska had only a small token booth
instead of their usual big one. The big tent out in the flea market
that had several aisles of vendors was not there this year. The DX and
Contest forums that used to hold a big standing room only crowd were
relegated to a small "meeting" room. Regular forums like the excellent
"mobile radio installation and noise reduction" session were not held
there this year.

Sad.....

Ham radio's dying... fast.

No, but hamfests are.

viva la ebay

Old May 25th 04, 08:18 PM
Keyboard In The Noise

Maybe the cost of travelling had something to do with all this as the latest
USA Ham population figures show a slow rise.
Total US....735,823 +17

--
Keyboard In The Noise

Someone generalized
Ham radio's dying... fast.

Old May 25th 04, 10:05 PM

On Sun, 23 May 2004 22:56:42 -0400, Mike Coslo

Goller, k9uwa) wrote:

[...]

Whilst I was enjoying an adult beverage in the Hara pub, I had
occasion to speak with the lovely young barmaid.

She said that the owner (of Hara) had died and that the heirs were in
the process of trying to sell the complex.

I don't know what that means for Hamvention's long term prospects,
however as was already mentioned, the commitee stated that the fest
would be held at Hara again next year.

Old May 27th 04, 06:06 PM
John

"Roland Stiner" wrote in message

Ham radio's dying... fast.

Roland, NK2U

so says Chicken Little. aka nk2u ...

Dayton Hamvention at Hara Arena Until 2007 Mike Terry Shortwave 0 December 13th 04 03:21 AM
Dayton report Mike Coslo Policy 0 May 17th 04 04:03 AM
FS: Lots of Stuff going to Dayton John Goller, k9uwa Swap 4 May 10th 04 10:12 PM
FS: Lots of Stuff going to Dayton John Goller, k9uwa Boatanchors 0 May 9th 04 05:31 AM
Dayton hamvention's new requirements for 2004 laborkei Swap 0 July 8th 03 03:24 AM