Old March 21st 05, 09:28 AM
Mike

In article ,
Dan Conti wrote:

eBay policy prohibits members from sending spam. Spam is defined as
email that is both unsolicited and is commercial in nature.

USENET is not email. As eBay define spam in this way, news postings
are irrelevant to the rules as listed in your posting. This is to
stop direct-mailing of people off an address list etc.

Furthermore, eBay say "Now go and promote your auction" in their
"How To" guides. If they ban you from promoting your auction, why
ask you to promote it?

If you received a warning for violating our spam policy and you believe
that it was sent in error, please contact us .

If your auction got yanked for posting to a NEWSGROUP on the basis of
the above rules, complain to eBay and ask why.
Mike Brown: mjb[at]pootle.demon.co.uk | http://www.pootle.demon.co.uk/
Old March 23rd 05, 12:22 AM
Jim Douglas

I was traveling with my 80year old dad and two fly rods, they guy spent 15
minutes checking out the rods, during this time my dad leaned over to me and
whispered, or what he thought was a whisper, what's he's looking for a
****ing fly rod bomb,. the **** hit the fan then, this was before 9-11 and I
wanted to kick the guy's ass.

"Ad Hoc Guy" wrote in message
Dr.Artaud, Thanks for the insight, It confirms what I always suspected

about
those military rejects working at the US borders ( because they wont hire
you unless you been in the service ).
They wear a freakin gun (* .45-Glucks,38,.357 and 9mm Beretta's) both US
imig and Customs do.
You go to Canada and those guys take time to say " HI , Welcome to Canada

"
versus the US welcome of " Wo are YOU..Where do you come from and what is
the purpose of your visit !!!bluntly speaking ). Then they ask you if you
have a Police record...The last time I crossed the border at Champlain NY

was detained for 3 hours because when the woman agent asked me if I had a
Police record I answered " YES, Synchronicity"......They have NO ****ing
sense of Humor those Lunatics. I tried to tell her it was a joke.."
Synchronicity " ..? You know the POLICE ? ha ha ha....................Ha

ha
ha was right. The emptied my two bags, I missed my bus and ended up

sleeping
in a flea bag motel until the next morning.
Now I know not to make jokes with Brainless killing machines( rejects from
USMC ).

--
" Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder. "
"§ Dr. Artaud §" wrote in message
"Ad Hoc Guy" wrote in
:

Right before 911, I had bought a new Savage Stevens single shot .22
caliber
rifle, a model designed similar to the original model of the early 1900s
(late 1800s?). Anyway, the rifle had a head spacing problem, and the
shells
would split and powder would be ejected towards my face, and an

unusually
load report was hear when this happened.

I contacted Savage, they said to return the rifle to them for repair,
which
I did. Problem is that it was sent to Canada for repair. 911 occurred,

and
it was the last I saw of the rifle. Savage acknowledged that heightened
border security flummoxed the shipment of the rifle, I guess customs got
hold of it, and Savage willingly replaced the rifle with no problems.

Though I can understand that 911 was a horrible time, I always wondered
how
many other items disappeared in shipment during those times and continue
disappear even now.

And the international situation is becoming farcical in terms of who is
allowed to own what, nation to nation. Of course Canada and England
permitted the ownership of unblocked scanners, and kudos for them for

it.
But it is my understanding that at least Canada doesn't allow digital
scanners, perhaps someone on this group can set the record straight for

me
if they can, with the irony being that the U.S. permits it.

I listen everyday to the police scanner, still largely analog in my

area,
and I can see that even though there are occasional problems with

someone
using a scanner to further illicit activity, the number of occasions

when
someone provides tips because they were listening to the scanner and

have
some insight into a particular crime or know the location of someone

being
chased by the police, easily offsets, I believe, the illicit use.

I asked the Mayor of a borough near Pittsburgh about scanners. He was a
lifetime cop in the same borough, and he felt that the contribution that
law abiding citizens (listening to scanners) make to police work is very
valuable.

With the borders to Canada and Mexico largely unguarded, it's a farce to
pretend that the U.S. is actually doing anything about so called

"Homeland
Security". Neurotically opening small packages (yet inspecting only 2%

of
the train rail car size shipping containers coming into the U.S. West
Coast
from China) and confiscating single shot rifles and unblocked scanners

is
probably not having any effect, save for the enrichment of those that
invariably come into the ownership of items that they didn't pay for.

Dr. Artaud

Speaking of Ebay and shipping, It is terrible the number of complaints
I get from customers regarding the way their shipment arrive at
destination in the USA. the envelopes are opened,the boxes ripped open
, the contents damaged or missing. US Customs really do a great job
on even small 6 X 6 bubble shipping envelopes. They are ****ing
Paranoid scumbags if you ask me. I receive shipments from the states
that are literally intact yet inspected by Canada customs agents.
Years ago I use to sent clothing and food items in Russia to friends
we knew. Even they received those packages intact and they lived in a
communist block country.
So I dont think that Ebay are the only ones that think they are GOD.
The lunatics at the US border have a serious ego problem also if you
ask me.

Old March 23rd 05, 02:21 AM
§ Dr. Artaud §

"Jim Douglas" wrote in
:

I got a laugh about your father's comments. Touché. Incredible that the
"authorities" can be so insensitive and totalitarian.

Dr. Artaud

Old March 23rd 05, 04:37 AM
Ad Hoc Guy

Jim, the customs agent probably thought those were spy antennas aimed at
destroying the US satellite system. LMAO

--

"Ad Hoc Guy" wrote in message
[...]

"§ Dr. Artaud §" wrote in message
"Ad Hoc Guy" wrote in
:

Old March 23rd 05, 04:39 AM
Ad Hoc Guy

I just like it when they ask me " anything to declared " I usually answer
"YES" "Dont eat yellow snow"...!! Some smile some dont ...

--
" Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder. "
"§ Dr. Artaud §" wrote in message
"Jim Douglas" wrote in
:

Old April 1st 05, 05:30 PM
Nick Marsh

Dan Conti wrote:

Who decides what is appropriate?

Apparently the self appointed newsgroup police. A few years ago I
offered a scanner for sale on rec.radio.scanner, and one of the NG cops
turned me in to Earthlink for inappropriate posts. I was suspended for a
month. I had no recourse except to apologize and promise not to do
it again. No clue as to who it was, or why.

Easthlink would not listen to me or the NG moderator, I found the
moderator for rec.radio.scanner and he wrote Earthlink on my behalf.

In the end, the first person who reports to your ISP or ebay is believed
to be correct and no amount of evidence on your part will change their mind.

I disagree with your new course of action to turn it all FA posts on
rec.radio.swap. The guys who post FA on the newsgroups did not turn you
in, reporting them to ebay will only make bad matters worse. You won't
be hurting the person who turned you in.

If I were you I'd go back to your bidders list and offer it for sale off
ebay, and they do owe you a refund for a discontinued listing.

Good Luck

Nick
WB4SQI

Old April 1st 05, 05:42 PM
Nick Marsh

John Kasupski wrote:

Again, all of this applies mainly to the two scanner newsgroups. The
rec.radio.swap newsgroup was *created* for the purpose of advertising
radio equipment for sale, auction, or trade.

John,

Very informative post.....

Looks to me like a good solution would be to form a new newgroup:

Rec.Radio.ebay or Rec.radio.auction

for those who need a safe haven to post their auction items.

Personally,I enjoy ebay buying and selling. For my purposes, it's not a
profit machine, just a means of furthering enjoyment of my hobbies by
using new or different equipment.

Nick
WB4SQI

Old April 2nd 05, 03:25 AM

Boy, I felt your anguish and I completely empathize, but it confirms
the contentions I've had all along about this money-less electronic
fallacy.

It's a capitalists dream state made possible by technology, and the
proof is in stories like yours ... one account after another, from one
courtroom to
another. Therefore, anybody who relies on eBay, or
any such on-line service (for ANY reason) WILL GET
BURNED. I've never once used them and even I know.

As far as my common senses are concerned, those
willing to transact business with entities that can't be held
accountable for its actions, deserves
every pain a one-way risk is guaranteed to deliver.

This isn't commerce folks, it's high-tech thievery,
and it's high-time you realized it. Passing gold
over a local counter, or trading your labors for
goods and services ... THAT is commerce.

After all, our comforts don't come from overseas ...
they come from local people and businesses.

Old April 2nd 05, 11:26 PM
Steve Silverwood

In article ,
says...
Click this link and you will see that my auction was in fact dumped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ADME:B:LC:US:1

Right now it says "Bidding has ended for this item" and shows a winning
bid of $510. Doesn't look like a "dumped" auction to me.

--

-- //Steve//

Steve Silverwood, KB6OJS
Fountain Valley, CA
Email:
Old April 13th 05, 10:54 PM
john wilson

Consider yourself lucky. 3 years ago I had my credit card
information hacked from EBay. Like you said calling them is impossible
and emails are a waste of time. If my credit card information was
stolen imagine the hundreds of thousands of other credit card
information that was hacked. You didn't hear about this on the tv news
or in the newspaper.

I discovered it when I received a letter from a co. in Nebraska that
monitors VISA and MASTER CARD profile purchases. I used an "emegency"
credit card that I had not used previously in 2 years expressly for
Ebay. At the time I did not want to enter my credit card but had to. I
called the company and was asked if I had purchased $1,800 of computers
from ABC Co., in Chicago, $425 from Sears in Ann Arbor, Michigan, etc.
I knew immediately what had happened. I was not responsible for the
illegal purchases. The greedy vendors who sold by telephone suffered
the lost. I was sent another credit card with a different account number.

Dan Conti wrote:

eBay, an idea that started out with good intentions, to serve the
internet community has gone the way of so many other internet services
of it's type. They think they're GOD, (along with many on these
groups who think they are almost God, or NEWGROUP POLICE at the very
least).

eBay is now only concerned with MILKING the very MOST money they can
from it's customers. Try to call them on the phone? Are you kidding?
Send them an e-mail? Good luck. They don't care, and why should
they, they're the only game in town. U.S. Capitalism at it's best,
but more about THAT later...

I recently put a UNIDEN 296D and 796D scanners on eBay for sale, and
also made FA posts on these groups. Luckily, the 296D sold early with
BUY IT NOW, and for some strange reason, the 796D was bid to a price
past what the original BUY IT NOW pricing was. Yep, there's that good
ole US capitalsim at work again. No one twists arms to bid that high,
and as far as I know, ther is NO mechanism on eBay to STOP a bidder
from bidding an item TOO HIGH.

The auction was to end today. I would have had a decent return for my
scanner, and the buyer would have a brand new, in box, never opened,
never used scanner.

But yesterday eBay replaced my auction with this notice......

***This listing (5759983900) has been removed by eBay or is no longer
available. Please make sure that you've entered the item number
correctly.
If the item was removed by eBay, please consider this transaction
canceled***

I DID NOT CANCEL THE AUCTION.

eBay offered NO explanation as to why they removed this auction. As
far as I know, the 796D is NOT banned for sale on eBay. They cancel
your auction, but they DO NOT refund your listing fee. They send you
NO e-mail explaining the removal. NONE. I sent them an inquiry, but
so far no response. This is NO WAY to do business.

I am now out the listing fees, and the financial reward of the winning
bid. eBay, or SOMEONE hurt me bad in this, for no legitimate reason....

Other then what I THINK happened.

Some NO LIFE, MISERABLE lurker in these groups, basically a RAT ,
SCUMBAG dropped a dime on my newsgroup listings to eBay, and they
removed my auction. If you check my newsgroup post, and it's

Day in and day out these newsgroups are LOADED with nonsensical SPAM,
and hore**** to beat the band, and nothing is ever done about it.
Because someone was basically JEALOUS that my auction would bring a
few bucks more then THEY thought it was worth, they act like a RAT
******* Newsgroup Cops and cause me harm.

Well folks, the gloves are off. I will offer the scanner on a
straight FOR SALE basis 80 ZILLION times on these groups. Since it is
unfortunately the only game in town, if I have to, I will re-post it
on eBay, but will follow eBay's rules and NOT post any FA on the
newsgroups, not even rec.radio.swap.

However, rest assured, that I will make a second vocation of reporting
ANY and ALL FA eBay posts I find to eBay ad nauseum. Even those on
the rec.swap group. eBay rules DO NOT allow posts even on a swap or
for sale newsgroup. So, all you fellow hobbyists who get censored or
DUMPED by eBay like I did, thank your fellow ASSHOLE lurker for it.

Yes, this was LONG and I am ****ED. Thanks for reading.

Dan