Old February 20th 06, 01:24 AM posted to rec.radio.swap
Kap

Default Need Donated Radios

Me and a couple friends are trying to start a amature radio group for
youths our age and we desperately need radios to demonstrate what
amature radio is like all we have is a Yaesu FT2800M just 2 meters
only. We'd like to demonstrate HF communications but we can not afford
a HF transceiver. If anybody has a extra HF transceiver or discount
price please let us know.

Old February 20th 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.radio.swap
Rich

Whare is the group located?
Do you have a call?

oups.com...

Old February 20th 06, 02:57 AM posted to rec.radio.swap
Kap

The group is located in Dearborn Heights, Michigan, and no we dont have
a club call sign yet but my call is kd8blu.

Old February 20th 06, 12:40 PM posted to rec.radio.swap
Woody

Welcome to amateur radio! Sounds like you need to get an adult involved to
assist you with setting up a legit non-profit before you go any further.
You need your "group" to become a recognized and legal "club" before you
start soliciting equipment. That will be your first 'desperate' need.
As it stands, you're just a guy bummin' equipment for all outward
appearances. No offense intended at all, but understand what you're doing.
Before doing anything you need to sit down and formulate a plan, man, then
work the plan.
After that, it's all about the hot-dog sale, sponsored garage sale, etc....
you know, work for what you want before begging for it.
Without a 401c3 to offer tax receipts, you can't do much.
Many a ham club started up with whatever few dollars members had in their
pockets. It's good incentive and will help you grow in more ways than one.
If it's truly important to you, it'll be nothing to get it done.
Good luck!
rb

oups.com...

Old February 20th 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.radio.swap
Caveat Lector

Well first off it is Amateur Radio not Amature
Second I always recommend -- setting up a Ham Radio swap meet and take a
percentage of the profits to buy equipment.

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

oups.com...

Old February 21st 06, 12:04 AM posted to rec.radio.swap
COLIN LAMB

"Without a 401c3 to offer tax receipts, you can't do much."

Well, that is not quite the case. First, it is 501(c)(3). Second, to set
up a 501(c)(3) recognized by the IRS requires an multipage application,
someone who understands dozens of pages of legaleze and about $500 cash in
application fee. For a 15 year old kid, that is not practical.

There are some exemptions allowed by the IRS, if the annual gross income is
less than $5,000, if they operate as a 501(c)(3) by having a charter,
constitution or bylaws that specifies that they follow the guidelines of the
rules and that if they disband the proceeds go to a charitable organization.
However, that is even too complicated. I had trouble convincing the local
county counsel and a large law firm that it could be done, because they did
not want to read all of the fine print in the rules.

The simpler solution is to just do as Kap did and ask for some equipment, or
to develop fund raising events to raise the money. Old rigs are available
for $50 on up and there are a number of hams who would be glad to donate old
ham equipment to someone starting out - even without a deduction. Heck,
donating a $50 radio and writing it off as a charitable donation only saves
you the average ham about $15 and if you cannot donate $15 to get a kid
started, you may be hard up.

The question remains: Who is Kap and how legitimate is his request. Local
ham clubs should be a good start and usually ham equipment springs out of
the woodwork without too much problem.

Recently, someone gave me a Kenwood TS-520. I checked it out, changed the
knobs so it could be used by someone blind, then gave it to him. I also got
a Kenwood TR-7400 with a bad display. Worked fine and the blind ham who got
it did not care a hoot about the bad display.

Our radio club used to have car washes to raise money for the club station.
Bought an old BC-669 transceiver and got on 75 meter phone. What a hoot!
Most of us grew up and became adults.

73, Colin K7FM

Old February 21st 06, 12:24 AM posted to rec.radio.swap
Woody

First, it is 501(c)(3)

Correct, Pardon my misguided finger...

There are some exemptions allowed by the IRS, if the annual gross income
is less than $5,000,

Thanks for that, I thought it was 4k....

The question remains: Who is Kap and how legitimate is his request.
Local ham clubs should be a good start and usually ham equipment springs
out of the woodwork without too much problem.

Pretty much the general undertone of my original post.

tnx!
rb

Old February 21st 06, 01:54 AM posted to rec.radio.swap
Kap

Well finally people understand. Were 13,14,14,15 and have asked several
local clubs but none will seem to help us. There all concerned about
thier repeater or swap. Ive been to several area swap and all the
things are overpriced. Thanks for the response.

Kevin (A.K.A Kap)

KD8BLU

Old February 21st 06, 02:25 AM posted to rec.radio.swap
Bob Miller

On 19 Feb 2006 17:24:21 -0800, "Kap" wrote:

Me and a couple friends are trying to start a amature radio group for
youths our age and we desperately need radios to demonstrate what
amature radio is like all we have is a Yaesu FT2800M just 2 meters
only. We'd like to demonstrate HF communications but we can not afford
a HF transceiver. If anybody has a extra HF transceiver or discount
price please let us know.

Put up a web site with some pictures of you guys working your one
little radio -- make your appeal again with a web site to go to so
people will know who & what they're donating to. You might have better
luck than with this strictly text approach.

bob
k5qwg
Old February 21st 06, 02:32 AM posted to rec.radio.swap
Kap

I never thought of that I think ill try that.

Kevin
KD8BLU

What Amateur Radio Emergency Communications? TOM General 199 October 29th 05 03:29 PM
Got my Kaito today Ryan Shortwave 31 May 3rd 05 04:35 PM
Radios On Sale Jmap702 Swap 0 March 30th 04 03:17 PM
FS MOTOROLA RADIO'S John Swap 0 February 3rd 04 07:53 AM
FS MOTOROLA RADIOS HT1000'S , VISAR'S ,& MAXTRAC'S John Equipment 0 January 19th 04 05:44 AM