Old October 7th 07, 06:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default yaesu FT-817ND without antenna tuner?

"Bob Miller" wrote in message
On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 10:36:32 -0400, James Barrett
wrote:

I'm not worried about the low power either. I think having a high
powered radio for my first rig would make me lazy. It would be easier
for me to pump out wattage rather than fine tune my antenna. Besides
that, when I am ready for higher power, I could add an amplifier. One
thing at a time. ;-)

Most of the current solid state 100 watt HF rigs have a menu
adjustment that allows you to lower your power to the 5 or 10 watt
level, so you have a choice of power output, depending on band
conditions. With a QRP-only rig, you're stuck at that power level.
It's also a power level that works best in the CW or digital modes, as
opposed to SSB.

bob
k5qwg

I Agree with Bob - I operate QRP when the mood strikes me and propagation is
good. I have a Kenwood TS-870SAT which is adjustable from 100 Watts down to
a little less than 5 Watts. Have worked DXCC QRP - 2/3 SSB, 1/3 CW, but this
was at the solar cycle peak.

Propagation is poor now because we are at the bottom of the solar cycle

At the peak of the solar cycle one can work the world with 5 Watts (if
propagation is favorable) particularly on the upper bands - 10M thu 15M. The
next solar peak is around the year 2011

Building your own antenna for multiband is challenging. A G5RV comes to
mind - but usually requires an external tuner (even if your rig has an
internal tuner). Most modern rigs may cover a 3 to 1 mismatch and a G5RV can
be well out of that range on some bands.

Good Luck
Lamont

Old October 7th 07, 06:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 15:05:01 -0400, James Barrett
wrote:

I read some reviews on eHam too, and it almost sounds like the FT-817ND
doesn't need a tuner.. I'm confused.
Any opinions would be helpful.

Hi Jim,

I think the confusion of needing no tuner is that you won't burn out
the finals driving a short or an open (you don't have enough power to
light a candle). Of course, this is no recommendation for a
successful QSO, but matching from the manufacturer's point of view is
about keeping your rig out of their repair shop (where they risk
having a mad customer for any of a number of reasons).

Second, automatic tuners in the bigger, 100W units, don't work all
that well with random wire. Ultimately you are building the SAME
resonant antenna for both rigs for the SAME reason = getting all the
power to radiate. Moral: build/buy an external tuner.

Third, as to power, learn all about electronics and build yourself a
100W linear. Cheaper than a 1KW linear and you may even find/rob a
100W amplifier deck from a dead HF rig at a swap meet. Their input is
typically in the 1 to 2 Watt range and this design (the deck) has been
around for three decades (which means if you steal ANY schematic from
the equipment from ANY manufacturer for the past 30 years, you stand a
good chance of having the complete design already done with a complete
and mud-ordinary parts list).

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old October 7th 07, 10:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Jim

I agree with Tam. It is way more cost effective to buy a 2nd hand 100W
radio than a new low power one. It's easy to reduce output power when
you want to. The only reason I would go so low is if I ever wanted to
run it backpack portable.

Compare some prices! You will then be able to afford an ATU as well!

Cheers Bob VK2YQA

Tam/WB2TT wrote:
Unless you have experience with QRP, you might find this an exercise in
frustration. If you don't want to spend the money now, I would look for a
deal on a used 100W rig. There is not much to choose from in amplifiers
(other than VHF/UHF) that don't require 100W of drive.