Old April 11th 08, 02:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Multiband no-radial vertical?

I received an email question from a ham in Spain
and I don't know the answer.

Could you recommend me a HF vertical multiband antenna
(80,40,20,10 or more bands) which doesn't require
radials?

Is there a commercial HF vertical available in
Spain that doesn't require radials?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old April 11th 08, 03:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
No Name

Cecil Moore wrote:
I received an email question from a ham in Spain
and I don't know the answer.

Could you recommend me a HF vertical multiband antenna
(80,40,20,10 or more bands) which doesn't require
radials?

Is there a commercial HF vertical available in
Spain that doesn't require radials?

I don't know about availability in Spain, but I used to have a Gap "Eagle"
vertical that needed no radials. It's actually a vertical dipole, with a
center feed. It worked moderately well and had a fairly small footprint.

I bought it when we moved to a new house because my wife didn't want "all
those wires in the yard." :-) After using it for a couple of months I
wound up putting up another big horizontal loop--but left the Eagle up.
Probably 85% of signals were better on the loop but the Gap Eagle worked
reasonably well for a small antenna. HTH!

Ken Kuzenski AC4RD atsign mindspring dotsign com
All disclaimers apply, see? www.duke.edu/~kuzen001
Old April 11th 08, 04:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

I once had a Hustler 4BTV and a Taylor Radio 4 Band Trap Vertical (at
different times.) Both antennas recommended ground radials, but I
managed to use them effectively with only a ground rod and worked all
states and many DX countries.

Obviously, this is not the optimum way to use either antenna, but
given the restrictions I had at those times, they were better than the
alternative, none!

My thoughts are, that if the antenna is to be ground mounted, as
opposed to roof mounted, a good ground rod (Mine was 4') will make
most ground mounted verticals usable.

I can't offer much help for a roof mount unless there is ample metal
to connect a ground to.

I hope this is useful info.

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 08:13:30 -0500, Cecil Moore
wrote:

I received an email question from a ham in Spain
and I don't know the answer.

Could you recommend me a HF vertical multiband antenna
(80,40,20,10 or more bands) which doesn't require
radials?

Is there a commercial HF vertical available in
Spain that doesn't require radials?

________________
N4PGW
Buck
--
73 for now
Buck, N4PGW

www.lumpuckeroo.com

"Small - broadband - efficient: pick any two."
Old April 11th 08, 04:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
JN JN is offline

GAP Titan DX (vertical dipole)
Cushcraft R8 (half wave vertical) no 80m

may be what you are seeking

73 Jouko OH5RM