Old January 28th 12, 12:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Icom AH-4 setup question & Morse code tattoo comment.

I want to run a single wire antenna using my AH-4 with my IC-7000 or 706MKII,
but living in a 2nd floor apartment, I don't have access to a good ground
without having to run a ground wire longer than the antenna wire is going to be!
Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get on the air with this equipment
without frying something? I'd appreciate any information/ideas.

Also, I have never had any tattoos before, and was planning on having my
daughter's name, (Beth) tattooed on my forearm in Morse as my first. A few days
ago I was being set up for radiation treatments where they give you a CT scan
and mark, (tattoo) you with three reference dots to aid the radiation techs when
they position you and the equipment as they get ready to zap you with it.
Anyway, when they did that, I couldn't help but think of them as 3 "E"s tattooed
on my chest. One in front, and one on each side. I just thought that amusing.

Anyone else have, or thinking about getting something tattooed in Morse? I'm
looking for design ideas. If you know of any pictures on the web, links would be
appreciated.

73, Bob KB2ZGN
Old January 28th 12, 05:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"KB2ZGN" wrote in message ...

I want to run a single wire antenna using my AH-4 with my IC-7000 or
706MKII,
but living in a 2nd floor apartment, I don't have access to a good ground
without having to run a ground wire longer than the antenna wire is going
to be!
Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get on the air with this
equipment
without frying something? I'd appreciate any information/ideas.

I've been faced with such antenna challenges myself. What bands do you want
to operate? The challenges get bigger with lower frequencies.

I had reasonable luck with a horizontal loop near the ceiling (or in the
attic) fed with open wire line. If you are going to use an outside end-fed
wire, the MFJ artificial ground might help.

[...]

-
Sorry you are having health problems, but you might as well have fun with
whatever you can.
Why not a callsign tattoo...that's what I did (just kidding). Is there any
way to get the dots of your callsign in the right places?

--Wayne
W5GIE

Old January 28th 12, 05:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 07:57:55 -0500, KB2ZGN wrote:

I want to run a single wire antenna using my AH-4 with my IC-7000 or 706MKII,
but living in a 2nd floor apartment, I don't have access to a good ground
without having to run a ground wire longer than the antenna wire is going to be!
Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get on the air with this equipment
without frying something? I'd appreciate any information/ideas.

2nd floor grounds are always a problem. For a friend, I tried a large
piece of welded chicken wire under the carpet. It failed miserably.
Grounding to the plumbing was even worse, as the downstairs neighbors
computer and TV would go nuts due to the radiated RF. Throwing a
heavy copper wire out the window and pounding in a ground rod worked
well, but the condo committee decided that it broke their rules. At
this time, my friend is using various remote HF stations over the
internet.

A few days
ago I was being set up for radiation treatments where they give you a CT scan
and mark, (tattoo) you with three reference dots to aid the radiation techs when
they position you and the equipment as they get ready to zap you with it.
Anyway, when they did that, I couldn't help but think of them as 3 "E"s tattooed
on my chest. One in front, and one on each side. I just thought that amusing.

Been there, done that for prostate cancer. 5 years, and PSA=0. The
hard part is laying still for 20 minutes, while the machine drills
holes in you with protons. Don't worry about side effects. The real
problems are catching a cold or flu in the waiting room, and finding a
parking place.

Anyone else have, or thinking about getting something tattooed in Morse? I'm
looking for design ideas. If you know of any pictures on the web, links would be
appreciated.

It's just 3 small dots. Try not to gain or lose weight during the
procedure or it will throw their aim off. However, it's not critical
as they run xrays at various points to recalibrate the targets.

As for Morse tattoos, they try to make the target as small as
possible. Adding more targets is not a great idea as they may
accidentally burn a hole in a sensitive place. However, if you must:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=morse+code+tattoo
http://rogerwendell.com/radiotattoos.html
Yech.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old January 28th 12, 05:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

I know one of the Daves around here had DORK !!! tattood on his forehead.

Probably to line up their lazer beams aimed at his brain. Certainly would
explain a lot.

Anyway, I always figured tattoos to be tabboo and never felt the desire.
While putting your daughter's name in code is cool, you will explain it each
time to everyone who ask what all those dots are. Could make them
flourescent glow in the dark dots. But have too many friends of mine are
getting their tattoos removed now. I suppose back then they were done
differently, maybe today more safer. Most commendable putting your
daughter's name, but remember it is permanent.

Do you have copper cold water pipes in your appt? Could you ground to that
with saddle or clamp? Or your outlets on the walls are gounded (probably to
that same pipe, off the main box).

Just start off on low power and use that tuner and watch your meters.

If I am not mistaken, I think that unit has a bunch of fuses easily
replaceable, and a nice microphone. Dave had one back in Nam.

Old January 29th 12, 02:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

I couldn't help but think of them as 3 "E"s tattooed
on my chest. One in front, and one on each side. I just thought that amusing.

Anyone else have, or thinking about getting something tattooed in Morse? I'm
looking for design ideas. If you know of any pictures on the web, links would be
appreciated.

73, Bob KB2ZGN

I remember from 40 years ago Gomer Pyle had two dots tattooed on his
arm. ..
It was going to be a snake but his girl friend stopped him, so all he
got were the eyes. :-)
Mikek

Old January 29th 12, 12:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

I have a friend now who is having a big face removed from his arm. It is a
big proceedure to have this thing removed and has taken over a year so far
and big bubble blisters and long process and probably expensive and
avoidable. The eyes were different colors so much more complicated and
painful.

But putting your daughter's name there is commendable because that is a life
long thing. But morese code, well what if you are not a Ham for life? I know
some hams who say they are hams who couldn't spell ham. I know some ham
wanna bees, and I know a lot of good hams, real hams. Some go, some come and
go, some just hang around like a linguring odour.

What made you think of this? Is this pier thing? All your friends have some
tattoos? Your papa? Some like to become 2nd or 3rd generation doers, I
understand that, I am like that. But it is your choice,,,

Couldn't you just put her name on your shoulder? Like a sea captain puts an
anchor on his arm?

Good luck with your decisions and treatments and what it is to do.

73s