Old June 27th 04, 07:52 AM
Jimmie

wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 15:29:32 GMT, "Jimmie" Gfender@carolina
dot.rr.dot com wrote:
Funny, I dont remember saying anything about gain. For me 5/8 are just
easier to build and tune.

Still it needs a ground plane and that does add mechanical
complication of a different sort.

Not much on two meters, use 3/4 inch wooden dowl or acrylic rod for
supporting 3/4 inch tublar radiator. This also becomes the coil form for
thre matching coil. Groudplane can be anythinh from stiff wire held on by a
radiator clamp to a metal roof. Even with the radials going nearly straight
down from the antenna it seems to work pretty well. Ive cobbled these to
gether in an hour or so and have spent all evening making one look pretty.
They both worked well and gave long service. Constuction goes a lot faster
once you get some experience on where to tap the coil and know how many
turns, One day I am going to write this down when I make one.However I find
that figuring the right lengths for the 5/8 is not nearly as fussy as doing
a J from scratch
I dont mind J antennas a a horizontal dipole on HF where the stub length is
convinent to handle. This can be a problem when you get on down in freq. I
can use one on 20 meters at this freq the stub works well as my transmission
line. For me J's work from 6m trhough 20 meters. Wouldnt dream of actually
buying one though.

I've built both and for differing reasons each works well when well
made. I find making a 5/8ths harder to achive for say 2m or 6m out of
copper pipe than a J.

Allison
KB!GMX