Old June 28th 13, 03:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default 6 meter antenna ideas.....

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 17:46:19 -0700, "Wayne"
wrote:

I guess I wasn't specific on the interests. So far, just CW and SSB. I
have mostly been getting a HF 7-28 Mhz antenna set up. Now I'm looking at
6.

Well, you can ignore most of what I scribbled. Welcome to horizontal
polarization. My guess(tm) is that a horizontal yagi or dipole in the
attic is going to have problems due to all the wiring and possibly
conduit in the attic. A vertical is at least mostly away from the
wiring, but a horizontal antenna lands right in the middle of the
mess. There's also the not so wonderful noise produced by electronic
ballasts, LED lighting inverters, and ceiling fans. I guess(tm) that
an outside cross polarized vertical or loop antenna would work better
than anything horizontal inside the attic.

A rotary array would be difficult in the attic, but switched directive
arrays may be possible.

Or, a non-rotating electrical wire horizontal yagi between the
rafters. There are also temporary antennas that can be rolled out
when needed, and hidden when the neighbors arrive in force:
http://www.bigskyspaces.com/w7gj/6mRopeYagi.htm
Because all of the CW/SSB action is at the very bottom of the band, a
narrow bandwidth antenna works just fine.

Time to spend some effort with EZNEC.

I suggest 4NEC2 instead:
http://www.qsl.net/4nec2/
The program includes a substantial number of common antenna models to
plagiarize.

Dual 5/8 wave 50 Mhz vertical (without matching xformer):
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/antennas/gnd-plane-02/index.html

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old June 28th 13, 06:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

I guess I wasn't specific on the interests. So far, just CW and SSB. I
have mostly been getting a HF 7-28 Mhz antenna set up. Now I'm looking at
6.

snip

Time to spend some effort with EZNEC.

# I suggest 4NEC2 instead:
http://www.qsl.net/4nec2/
# The program includes a substantial number of common antenna models to
# plagiarize.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

By the way, I have no homeowner's association constraints. It is a normal
sized house on a small lot that slopes down in the back, and has no suitable
trees.

Wayne
W5GIE
Redlands, CA

Old June 28th 13, 06:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Wayne" wrote in message

# Are you doing CW and SSB at the bottom of the 6 meter band?

Yes.

Now we are getting somewhere. For 6 meter ssb you normally want the antenna
to be horizontal. There is about a 20 db differance if the antennas are not
the same. You are not going to be able to work very far on 6 metes with
simple, low antennas unless the band is open. When the band opens, it is
possiable to work thousands of miles with low power and not very good
antennas. I worked from North Carolina to Canada with 10 watts and an
antenna that was a 40 meter dipole during one opening.
As for vhf you first want to get the antenna as high as you can, and then
make it as big as you can. Height is usually beter than size for local
work.

Old July 10th 13, 12:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 13:04:02 -0700, Paul Drahn wrote:

Google for "KG4JJH 6 moxon" and you will find a lot of references,
including a PDF of an April 2004 QST article.

KD7HB

Thanks Paul for the suggestion. KG4JJH has some nice projects in his site. It's
very well laid out too. I love to look through sites like his that have
interesting ham radio related projects.

73, Bob KB2ZGN
Old July 10th 13, 08:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Thursday, June 27, 2013 2:05:51 PM UTC-5, Wayne wrote:
Needs to be either in the attic, or on a metal patio cover.

A vertical on top of a 20 foot pole "might" be possible.

Currently I am using a 1/4 wave vertical mag mount on top of a metal patio

cover. I also have a half wave dipole in the attic.

So, any ideas for something better?

Wayne

W5GIE

A friend built a single element quad or full wave loop using wire and pvc pipe for spreaders and this worked pretty well. Also is fairly compact to put into the attic or hide it if needed outside.
73, Randy, w5kcm

Old July 10th 13, 09:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"w5kcm" wrote in message

On Thursday, June 27, 2013 2:05:51 PM UTC-5, Wayne wrote:
Needs to be either in the attic, or on a metal patio cover.

A vertical on top of a 20 foot pole "might" be possible.

Currently I am using a 1/4 wave vertical mag mount on top of a metal patio

cover. I also have a half wave dipole in the attic.

So, any ideas for something better?

Wayne

W5GIE

# A friend built a single element quad or full wave loop using wire and pvc
pipe for spreaders and this worked pretty well. Also is fairly compact to
put into the attic or hide it if needed outside.
# 73, Randy, w5kcm

That's one of my current interesting configurations. I don't need to hide
the antenna. I have a dipole in the attic now, but the various RF birdies
are horrendous. The quarter wave vertical outside is much quieter.

The simplest thing for me at the moment is to buy a commercial Squalo type
antenna and let it go at that.

Thanks
Wayne W5GIE
/6

Old July 10th 13, 10:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Wed, 10 Jul 2013 13:53:52 -0700, Wayne wrote:

The simplest thing for me at the moment is to buy a commercial Squalo type
antenna and let it go at that.

There's 'simple', and then there's the _amateur_ radio way.
:-)
http://jonz.net/W3DHJ/6mhalo.html

73
Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
Old September 13th 13, 11:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Thursday, June 27, 2013 3:05:51 PM UTC-4, Wayne wrote:
Needs to be either in the attic, or on a metal patio cover. A vertical on top of a 20 foot pole "might" be possible. Currently I am using a 1/4 wave vertical mag mount on top of a metal patio cover. I also have a half wave dipole in the attic. So, any ideas for something better? Wayne W5GIE

Havent much been on the air since my daughter was born 18 years ago. She took over the extra bedroom or as I called it "The Shack". The roof of my house has ridges running at right angles to each other so I installed 6 meter dipoles in each one. I could select either one via a coax relay also mounted in the attic.. One thing I did notice with this setup was there was usualy very little change in signal strength regardless of whitch antenna I used.. The exception was with local contacts when the other station was directly off the end of the antenna I was using. There was only one station like this.

Jimmie