Old August 28th 13, 10:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Time Warner truck

On 8/28/2013 1:25 PM, Sal wrote:
"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message

snip

So, what did the Cox guy find? I'm nosey.
--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

It was almost all leakage from ring-crimp connectors. (Your comments
contained your own answer :-) He replaced them with compression connectors,
probably the Snap-n-Seal from Belden.

I had a couple of pieces of RG-59 that he changed in favor of a better cable
from a spool he brought. Most of my runs were Belden 9275, which he said
was fine -- if terminated properly.

"Sal"

I had the same situation, my house was singing and the tech heard it
from a major road close to my house. The company was doing an upgrade
and were out correcting all the problems before the change.
The tech replaced 7 ring type connectors in my hot Fl, attic and one
inside where my router was connected.
The repairs eliminated an interference pattern on two channels.
The upgrade increased my internet speed.
I have since bought compression type connectors and a tool to install
them.
Mikek

Old August 29th 13, 04:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 11:48:04 -0500, John S
wrote:

On 8/28/2013 11:42 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Most of the time, it's the ring type crimp F connectors like this:
http://www.showmecables.com/images/catalog/product/F-Type-Connector-With-1-4-Inch-Crimp-Ring-RG59-4.jpg
that caused problems.

What type/style F connector would you recommend?
John KD5YI

I steal mine directly from Comcast. I use whatever is available.

The problem is that many manufacturers have put considerable time and
effort into making their connectors as incompatible as possible with
their competitors connectors and tools. Fortunately, there several
good universal compression tools. This is what I settled on mostly
because it seems to fit all the various mutations and will also do BNC
and phono compression connectors:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221178706506
It's the cheapest, of course. I have much better tools that I also
use, but the above tool works with most everything.

You'll also need a wire stripper.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/310711345790
Buy at least 2 of these, as they tend to wear out (or become borrowed)
rather rapidly.

For connectors, it appears that Comcast likes Thomas and Betts
Smash-N-Seal connectors.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161090412893
Note that the connectors for RG-59 and RG-6/u are quite different.
There are also different types for double shielded and quad shielded
RG-6/u. Watch the video and you'll see the problem:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW3L61ydvzM
The SNS1P6U connector is a good choice, because it sorta fits all the
common types of RG-6/u. The compression tool shown in the video is
quite good, has a built in stripper, but will only do F connectors,
not BNC or phono. Plan on ruining a few connectors before you learn
how to use the tool. There are videos on YouTube for how to work with
compression connectors.

Drivel: All of my 50 ohm antennas on my roof are connected to their
respective radios with 75 ohm RG-6/u coax, F connectors, and various
adapters. Also some RG-6/u with BNC compression connectors. No
problems and very little additional mismatch loss.

Old August 29th 13, 04:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
You'll also need a wire stripper.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/310711345790
Buy at least 2 of these, as they tend to wear out (or become borrowed)
rather rapidly.

I have several of them. Each one set for the several types of coax I use.
The price is from about $ 3 shipped from China to $ 15 for the ones already
in the US. I did find one problem with some of them, The brass bushings
on the bottom of the blades are not a very good fit in some of them and will
back out as you try to adjust them. Pull them out and put a drop of glue on
them and put them back in and the adjustments will hold.

Old August 29th 13, 04:57 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Rob" wrote in message
Sal salmonella@food wrote:

"Rob" wrote in message
He reported that my house was the source of leakage that had earlier

been
detected by their vehicle. (Oops) He asked if we had any broadcast
ingress.
(Yes) Could he fix things inside the house? (Heck yes) He spent over
an
hour reterminating some of my old stuff and running a few new pieces
for
me.
That got the leakage within limits and it made the ingress go away.
(Yay)

"Sal"

And all that in the house of (supposedly) a radio amateur?

Oh, it's even worse than that -- way worse. :-(

I often heard that IT is worst within IT companies :-)

"The shoemaker's son goes barefoot" -- A proverb that appears in many
languages.

Old August 29th 13, 05:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"amdx" wrote in message

On 8/28/2013 1:25 PM, Sal wrote:
[...]

I have probably a hundred or so ring-crimp connectors for RG-59, RG-6 and
even some big ones for RG-11. I also have a half dozen crimpers, some found
as bargains andsome bought retail. (The quest for the perfect crimp tool is
a cruel journey.) I know I need to transition myself to better TV
connectors; I just hate to consign my existing stock to scrap. ... but
that's what it is, I guess.

What brand of crimper and connector(s)? Are you happy with them? [I had
typed just "Are you happy?" and realized it looked very Zen.]

I already had to do it for DC power. From a mishmash of mostly banana plugs
& jacks, plus some RCA plugs, I went to Anderson Powerpole connectors and
every time I pull out something I haven't used in a while, I grab the
Powerpole kit, too. I bought 50 connector pairs, 50 feet of Black/Red
12-gauge and a crimper at HRO. I like it. If the wires are small, I'll
solder lightly first, then crimp.

"Sal"

Old August 29th 13, 09:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Jeff. Valuable hints and advice.

Old August 29th 13, 12:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Sal wrote:

What brand of crimper and connector(s)? Are you happy with them? [I had
typed just "Are you happy?" and realized it looked very Zen.]

Almost any compression connector or tool will do. You can get them cheaply
at DIY stores if you look.

If you want a better tool and connectors you can get them on eBay (buy
from vendors, not random auctions).

Basically there are 3 kinds:

RG-59, RG-6 (not Quad Shield) and RG-6 QS.

You can also get universal ones, e.g. a universal RG-59 which fits all
variants or a universal RG-6 one, which fits all RG6 variants including
including QS.

Tools are needed depending upon the connectors. Almost all of them use
a tool which holds the connector end and compresses the body from the cable
end. There are small lever ones which look like pliers and the compression
is done in a handle (works fine).

There are also ones that look like pliers and the connector fits in the top.
I use them for BNC connectors.

There also is a kind where the tool hold the connector near the cable end
and pushes it all into a block. I got it for RG-6 BNC and RCA connectors,
but prefer the other kind.

If you mix and match make sure the connectors fit the tool and vice versa.

Avoid the really cheap ones where the front compress into the back,
I got some with a kit and never was able to get them to work. Looking on
eBay now, they seem to be gone.

Geoff

Old August 29th 13, 01:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 8/28/2013 11:58 PM, Sal wrote:
"amdx" wrote in message

On 8/28/2013 1:25 PM, Sal wrote:
[...]

I bought my compression tool and connectors at Lowes. Installation
was fine, I have no clue about the shielding quality, just assume it's
better than the ring connectors.
Mikek

Old August 29th 13, 06:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"amdx" wrote in message

I have a Lowes. Thanks!

"Sal"

Old August 29th 13, 08:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message

snip

Drivel: All of my 50 ohm antennas on my roof are connected to their
respective radios with 75 ohm RG-6/u coax, F connectors, and various
adapters. Also some RG-6/u with BNC compression connectors. No
problems and very little additional mismatch loss.

Yes. My Field Day antenna two years ago was a 20m dipole at 30 feet, which
I first simulated with EZNEC. It was close to 75 ohms at the feedpoint,
typical of such a dipole, so I used RG-6 -- about 60 feet. The unadjusted
VSWR at the transmitter was near the expected 1.5:1. The TS-570 internal
tuner handled it instantly. (I was going to say "handled it in a flash," but
that's a bad, bad metaphor.)

RG-6 has a surprisingly low loss. See this:

http://vk1od.net/transmissionline/RG6/Fig01.gif

and note the lengths are in meters.

This page is interesting, too.

http://www.arrg.us/pages/Loss-Calc.htm