Old August 18th 04, 03:12 PM
Vito

YES! AM can be almost as harmful as cocaine. I got addicted to 6 meter AM
back about 1978. Spent almost a year trying to make a local net using an
ancient kit somebody had cobbed together. It had some special need sensor
that allowed it to work FB until it was my turn to check in then nothing
..... til the net was over. Drove me to kicking the dog!

Oh! You meant PHYSICAL harm. Sorry .....

Old August 18th 04, 08:50 PM
Steve Nosko

I list from top to bottom.

"Jim Leder" wrote in message
The more I listen to AM radio, the more I list to the right when I

walk.....

Old August 20th 04, 10:19 AM
SpamHog

In the 1920's and 1930's there were scores of people
claiming to "hear radio in [their tooth cavity] fillings".

Today, we have more people in more countries with more tooth fillings
near more (and more powerful) transmitters than ever before, yet
nobody claims to hear radio in their teeth. The focus has shifted to
other, more fashionable sources of radiation, such as cellphones.

It all boils down to whether low-level, non-ionizing radiation has any
effect at the molecular level or not.

Conventional wisdom had it that being that radiation non-ionizing, if
its intensity was short of sufficient for inducing macroscopic
heating, it would not be harmful. On the other hand, heating had long
been tied to cataracts and male sterility, and of course to burns.

In recent years, it was discovered that many birds had the capability
to convert the earth magnetic field into electrochemical nerve
signals. As microscopic magnetic crystals were found in birds' brains
(and later in humans' brains as well), speculation is now focusing on
the possibility that physical effects may have some heretofore
unnnoticed chemical impact too.

Bad statistical manipulation is easy to spot, bad data much less so.
As an RF addict and a statistics aesthete, I hope research will
continue, but I am not terribly concerned.
Old August 21st 04, 10:03 AM
Ed Price

"Steve Nosko" wrote in message
Actually...

SNIP

The state of Wisconsin has a rather good public radio network (also on

the
net). Saturday mornings there is a doctor's call-in show. A woman called
in claiming that she _heard_ music coming from the mouth of her young
son/daughter.

Turn down the volume of the little gangsta's headphones!

Wait a minute, I take that back. If the mother could identify the audio
power as "music", then it couldn't have been anything the kid would have
voluntarily listened to!

Ed
wb6wsn

Old August 21st 04, 04:59 PM
Richard Clark

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 02:17:36 -0700, "Ed Price"
wrote:

Richard, you gotta pay closer attention to what the doc is doing inside your
mouth!

Caps have a ceramic layer atop a metal (titanium?) mandrel. And even more
fun is that there's a rather large and long stainless steel post that was
drilled down to nearly the end of the root of that tooth.

Hi Ed,

I know the dentistry business quite intimately. I help a buddy out
with new dentistry technologies. What you describe are rather old
techniques. My dentist built up a cap in the office on an NC machine
in 15 minutes to replace one that had been built without any coloring
(it was as white as chalk). I've only had one root canal after the
dentist got tired of waiting for years to fix the abscess (never
bothered me as much as it did him). Even then, the cap required no
post, he filled the excavation in much the same way as any prepped
cavity and capped it off.

No metal involved, much to the loss of another buddy who has a
patented technique in gold based construction. All the work I am
aware of is now done by casts. By the way, the profit margin is HUGE
for the dentist. He easily pays only $100 for the cap from the
laboratory. I can only hazard a guess to what you pay the dentist
(me, about $600).

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old August 21st 04, 06:17 PM
Ed Price

wrote:

[...]

Well, I'm an old guy! I grew up being conditioned to having carries drilled
and filled. (Never did the orthodontia route though.) I then graduated to
the next life-phase, wher the carries became multi-surfaced. That morphed
into putting on caps. And then the cap jobs moved onto crown jobs. Now I've
got myself my first bridge; hey, I finally own a bridge!

Yeah, crowns are about $600 in Southern California too. Been a while since I
bought one, but I did know about the mark-up. Unfortunately, do-it-yourself
dentistry is quite difficult. I find it interesting that many local dentists
are still one-man shops, while individual practitioner physicians are almost
extinct. I had talked with my dentist about advanced lab techniques like you
described; but she got a misty look in her eyes as she described the
financial aspects.

Anyway, as it is now, I've got enough metal bits in my mouth that I could
probably qualify as a diplexer on some band.

Ed
wb6wsn
"You will feel a slight pressure."
"Is it safe yet?"

Old August 23rd 04, 05:15 PM
Fred Hambrecht Sr - Gilbert News

The material in fillings has changed. One of the more prominent cases
involved Lucille Ball during WW2. She had come from the dentist and picked
up a radio It was traced to a Japanese gardner. He was sending ship
movements back to Japan. He was arrested as a result. Or so the story goes,
YMMV.

Back in the AM days, my wife came running into the shack yelling she could
hear me on the stove. The old gas stove had carbon deposits that apparently
actied like a rectifier when a pot was placed on the burner.

om...