Old May 21st 16, 09:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default When did ignorance overcome education, for the correct plural is, "antennae"?

In article , Jeff wrote:

[uk.radio.amateur added]

WHY???

So that the very efficient filter on my copy of MT-NewsWatcher will send
the message to the trash.

VE7EZM and AF7BZ

--
David Ryeburn

To send e-mail, change "netz" to "net"
Old May 21st 16, 11:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

Spike wrote:

On 21/05/2016 11:20, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Jeff writes

Well my UK 1956 Collins Dictionary says for 'antenna' noun...
(Wireless)...plural antennas.

So antennas was certainly accepted as correct in the UK in 1956.

Jeff

In the UK, I think it's only some of the more-esoteric scientific
research boffins in WW2 who would have used 'antenna' and 'antennae'.

When R V Jones wrote his report on the Luftwaffe's X-Gerate navigation
and bombing system, he included a photograph of a Heinkel 111 annotated
with arrows pointing to the three aerials of the system, which he had
labelled 'X-Beam antennae'.

[uk.radio.amateur added]

Yes, I think it has more to do wtth the kind of education one has had
(in school, or self-selected), than to with with being 'esoteric' or a
'boffin'. In fact, the very term 'boffin' is rarely heard except when
used by the wilfully ignorant (those who think football is important for
instance) about people who seem cleverer than themselves.

--

Roger Hayter
Old May 22nd 16, 08:07 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Roger Hayter wrote:
Spike wrote:

[...]

I can honestly say that the only people I have ever heard use the word
"boffin" are tabloid newspaper journalists, usually in stories about
cloning sheep or GM food.

And now you. Congratulations!

--
STC / M0TEY /
http://twitter.com/ukradioamateur
Old May 22nd 16, 08:14 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In message , Stephen Thomas Cole
writes
Roger Hayter wrote:
Spike wrote:

[...]

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear!

--
Ian
Old May 22nd 16, 08:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

He wants a faucet on the head.

Old May 22nd 16, 08:43 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Roger Hayter wrote:
Spike wrote:

[...]

I've never heard a "real person" say it, other than Rog, ITT!

Old May 22nd 16, 08:43 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Brian Reay wrote:
Stephen Thomas Cole wrote:
Roger Hayter wrote:
Spike wrote:

[...]

You need to watch some old War films, the kind Spike watches back to back
and before his metamorphosis into a pseudo Dr Kelly, used to model his life
history on.

I'll give that a pass, thanks.

Old May 22nd 16, 08:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

On 21/05/2016 23:45, Roger Hayter wrote:
Spike wrote:
On 21/05/2016 11:20, Ian Jackson wrote:

In the UK, I think it's only some of the more-esoteric scientific
research boffins in WW2 who would have used 'antenna' and 'antennae'.

When R V Jones wrote his report on the Luftwaffe's X-Gerate navigation
and bombing system, he included a photograph of a Heinkel 111 annotated
with arrows pointing to the three aerials of the system, which he had
labelled 'X-Beam antennae'.

Yes, I think it has more to do with the kind of education one has had
(in school, or self-selected), than to with with being 'esoteric' or a
'boffin'. In fact, the very term 'boffin' is rarely heard except when
used by the wilfully ignorant (those who think football is important for
instance) about people who seem cleverer than themselves.

Ian, I think you've just been savaged by a dead sheep.

--
Spike

Many persons have a wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness.
It is not attained through self-gratification but through fidelity to a
worthy purpose - Helen Keller

Old May 22nd 16, 08:49 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 22/05/2016 08:14, Ian Jackson wrote:
Stephen Thomas Cole writes

I can honestly say that the only people I have ever heard use the word
"boffin" are tabloid newspaper journalists, usually in stories about
cloning sheep or GM food.

And now you. Congratulations!

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear!

Don't concern yourself OM, 'Band seems to live in a very narrow world,
perhaps only as wide as the distance between his ears.

Old May 22nd 16, 09:44 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Roger Hayter wrote:
Spike wrote:

[...]

Since I only quoted it, in inverted commas, from Ian, that seems a bit
unobservant of you.

--

Roger Hayter