Old September 21st 04, 09:18 PM
Mike Coslo

H. Adam Stevens, NQ5H wrote:
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Reg Edwards wrote:

"Bill Turner" wrote

The voltage at the ends of a half wave dipole can reach thousands of
volts even with relatively low power. Trees have been set on fire with
as low as 100 watts. Be careful!

==============================
Hi Bill,

A half-wave dipole is a resonant tuned circuit.

A 40 meter dipole using 14-gauge wire has a Q of about 11.

At 100 watts there is 85 volts at the feedpoint.

The voltage between the ends of the antenna is 85 times Q which equals

956

volts.

Therefore, the voltage between one end of the antenna and ground is only

478

volts.

And this falls to a much lower value when the end of the wire is in

contact

with anything by virtue of the very high antenna impedance of around

1500

ohms.

Furthermore, the antenna is immediately detuned when it comes into

contact

with anything and Tx power falls.

From where do you get your "thousands of volts" - the old wive's

monthly

magazines?

There are far more Californian forest fires caused by arsonists than 100
watt transmitters. Fortunately, it doesn't seem to have a bad effect on

the

quality of the wine.

Knowing that you are a wine aficionado, I would mention that there is
serious concern about the future quality of the wine. It appears that
global warming (which doesn't exist ha ha) has been on average warming
the regions of California where the wine grapes are grown. This is
causing them to ripen prematurely - at least as far as making the best
wine is concerned. Let us hope that a solution is in the works!

- mike KB3EIA -

But Rush said there's no such thing as global warming.
(Tell that to all the dead coral and melted glaciers.)
So sorry to hear about the wine. Better drink some moore quick!

Ahh, I kind of enjoy Rush, or did until he started to get redundant.
But I wouldn't take him as a science adviser! ;^)

Seriously, I would be willing to entertain the notion that global
warming is not happening. But what I need is a good explanation of of
the mechanism keeping it from happening. Certainly the oceans can sink
some CO2, but only so much.

The effect of CO2 on thermal retention in the atmosphere is not bogus,
and there are plenty of other gases that are likely a worse problem,
such as methane. Methane is hardly being addressed now.

There are possible effects that will mitigate the heat retention, but I
want to know what they are, not just that the warming effec isn't real.
To say that global warming doesn't exist is not far from saying Ohms law
is wrong.

I wish proof, not politics. unlike El Rushbo, I don't think that every
timee it snows is the disproof of it. We might check with our Canadian
friends on how their growing season has been affected.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old September 21st 04, 09:22 PM
H. Adam Stevens, NQ5H

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
Cecil Moore wrote:
Bob Miller wrote:

Jack, please explain why we need battlefield weapons in a civilian
society.

That's simple. Because the criminals are armed with battlefield
weapons. Don't know about you, but I think it's stupid to take
my 66 year-old fists to a gunfight.

How many times do you need to shoot that beautiful deer before you
drag it to the sausage maker?

Deer don't shoot back. Criminals, including terrorists do, and
sometimes with fully automatic weapons. The criminals obviously
want the ordinary citizens to be disarmed. But why should you
want exactly the same thing as the criminals?

Did you know that the crime rate is falling in the concealed-carry
states? Did you know that a majority of states are concealed-carry
states? If you were a criminal, would you really want to take on
someone who might be packin' a concealed Colt .45?

If I were a criminal, and I thought my victim might be carrying a
concealed Colt .45, I would use a different tactic.

- Mike KB3EIA -

The fear of being on the wrong end of a 12 gauge prevents many burglaries.
I have seen interviews with convicts and also the book "More Guns Less
Crime" that bear this out.
It is my understanding that since the Aussies disarmed themselves they have
paid the price.
In Texas, CHL holders have a lower crime rate than the cops.
The last intruder in my house got a .357 magnum in the face; blew the back
of his head off.
He was a 5 foot timber rattlesnake. I had a model 19 Smith.
73
H. NQ5H

OB Antenna
If a half wave dipole in the forest falls to the ground when nobody's there,
does it make a sound?

Old September 21st 04, 10:03 PM
H. Adam Stevens, NQ5H

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
H. Adam Stevens, NQ5H wrote:
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Reg Edwards wrote:

[...]

From where do you get your "thousands of volts" - the old wive's

[...]

It's real enough; literally decimated the world's coral reefs.
But the atmospheric carbon budget is still not well understood.
However the weather, being a chaotic system, probably becomes more chaotic
as more energy is added.
For an excellent discussion of chaos and the weather 1000 years ago see "The
Great Maya Droughts" by my old buddy Dick Gill.
Glaciers and permafrost are melting. Ice core data suggest the CO2 in the
atmosphere shot up with the industrial revolution and is at it's highest in
50,000 years.
I dove for NASA in 1970 at Tektite II in the Virgin Islands. I went back to
the site at St John in 1997.
The coral was much harder to find. Where I remembered reefs was sand and sea
grass.
I'm going back in January.
Over 10 years of diving in Hawaii I have watched the coral population at
Tunnels Beach, specifically, diminish dramatically.
One of my grad students is from Puerto Rico. He's noticed the coral decline
in his 20-odd years.
Just a couple of degrees dramatically moves the permafrost boundaries.
Any Alaskans here? Canuks?
How much are we at fault? Can we change anything? I think the answers are
some or a lot, yes and no.

OB Ham topic. I operated W3YRQ's (Jerre I am sorry if I got your call wrong,
it has been 34 years) KWM2 on 20 meter SSB from the Tektite II habitat.
I believe Jerre and I are still the only hams to operate on the ocean floor.
73
H., NQ5H

Old September 22nd 04, 07:42 PM
Mike Coslo

H. Adam Stevens, NQ5H wrote:

OB Ham topic. I operated W3YRQ's (Jerre I am sorry if I got your call wrong,
it has been 34 years) KWM2 on 20 meter SSB from the Tektite II habitat.
I believe Jerre and I are still the only hams to operate on the ocean floor.

Now THAT is cool! What was your setup?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old September 22nd 04, 11:06 PM
Richard Clark

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 14:34:24 -0400, Mike Coslo
wrote:

Political denial covers a lot of uncomfortable ills.

Sad but true.

Hi Mike,

I went to a talk last week featuring Philip Gold, a military forces
planner from the Marine Corps and prolific writer (800 articles) for
conservative think tanks like the Discovery Institute. His comment
describing the current administration:
"SUMOs - Screw Up, Move On"

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Old September 23rd 04, 12:18 AM
H. Adam Stevens, NQ5H

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
H. Adam Stevens, NQ5H wrote:

OB Ham topic. I operated W3YRQ's (Jerre I am sorry if I got your call

wrong,
it has been 34 years) KWM2 on 20 meter SSB from the Tektite II habitat.
I believe Jerre and I are still the only hams to operate on the ocean

floor.

Now THAT is cool! What was your setup?

- Mike KB3EIA -

KWM2, SB220 in the habitat. Hy Gain 14AVQ on a barge on the surface.
Worked great!
SCUBA down to the shack. What fun.
Life's been somewhat boring since Tektite.
73
H.
NQ5H

Old September 23rd 04, 12:19 AM
H. Adam Stevens, NQ5H

wrote:

Political denial covers a lot of uncomfortable ills.

Sad but true.

Hi Mike,

I went to a talk last week featuring Philip Gold, a military forces
planner from the Marine Corps and prolific writer (800 articles) for
conservative think tanks like the Discovery Institute. His comment
describing the current administration:
"SUMOs - Screw Up, Move On"

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

All too sad, all too true.
73
H., NQ5H

Old September 24th 04, 03:42 AM
Mike Coslo

wrote:

Political denial covers a lot of uncomfortable ills.

Sad but true.

Hi Mike,

I went to a talk last week featuring Philip Gold, a military forces
planner from the Marine Corps and prolific writer (800 articles) for
conservative think tanks like the Discovery Institute. His comment
describing the current administration:
"SUMOs - Screw Up, Move On"

I recall that when questioned about some past apparent wrongdoings, in
most cases the reply was "that's old stuff, we have to move on". So your
SUMO sounds about right.

Funny how that *wasn't* the case when they wasted millions of our
dollars chasing Whitewater.

Go figure!

- Mike -

Old September 24th 04, 03:43 AM
Mike Coslo

H. Adam Stevens, NQ5H wrote:

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

H. Adam Stevens, NQ5H wrote:

OB Ham topic. I operated W3YRQ's (Jerre I am sorry if I got your call

wrong,

it has been 34 years) KWM2 on 20 meter SSB from the Tektite II habitat.
I believe Jerre and I are still the only hams to operate on the ocean

floor.

Now THAT is cool! What was your setup?

- Mike KB3EIA -

KWM2, SB220 in the habitat. Hy Gain 14AVQ on a barge on the surface.
Worked great!
SCUBA down to the shack. What fun.
Life's been somewhat boring since Tektite.

Ground fault detectors I hope. 8^)

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old September 24th 04, 12:02 PM
H. Adam Stevens, NQ5H

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

H. Adam Stevens, NQ5H wrote:

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

H. Adam Stevens, NQ5H wrote:

OB Ham topic. I operated W3YRQ's (Jerre I am sorry if I got your call

wrong,

it has been 34 years) KWM2 on 20 meter SSB from the Tektite II habitat.
I believe Jerre and I are still the only hams to operate on the ocean

floor.

Now THAT is cool! What was your setup?

- Mike KB3EIA -

KWM2, SB220 in the habitat. Hy Gain 14AVQ on a barge on the surface.
Worked great!
SCUBA down to the shack. What fun.
Life's been somewhat boring since Tektite.

Ground fault detectors I hope. 8^)

- Mike KB3EIA -

I'm not sure they'd been invented yet.
Power was from a set of diesel generators on the island.
73
H., NQ5H