Old April 8th 05, 01:09 AM

Default H.F. Mobile Antenna Help needed

I'm looking for any suggestions on what type of H.F mobile antenna to
purchase. I want to install this Antenna on a 97 Chevy S-10 Pick-up. I would
like it to cover 80meters through 10 meters. The mount system is what I am
really interested in. Not sure which way to go on this, never have been
mobile with HF before. The pickup is a extended cab by the way. Any
suggestions would be appreciated.

Old April 8th 05, 02:50 AM
Hal Rosser

wrote in message
. com...
I'm looking for any suggestions on what type of H.F mobile antenna to
purchase. I want to install this Antenna on a 97 Chevy S-10 Pick-up. I

would
like it to cover 80meters through 10 meters. The mount system is what I am
really interested in. Not sure which way to go on this, never have been
mobile with HF before. The pickup is a extended cab by the way. Any
suggestions would be appreciated.

I think the screwdriver antenna would be a decent choice, but at hf, you'll
want to get to a base station asap, no matter what mobile antyenna you end
up with.

Old April 8th 05, 03:18 AM
Butch

If money is not a problem, I would install a screwdriver antenna. I
have been a County Hunter since the mid 80s and I have used every type
mobile antenna there is I believe from the Hamsticks, the Spider,
Hustlers and the famous Texas Bug Catcher. The Screwdriver is the best
thing that happened for me, convienient and very effective. For me the
bug catcher was the best if I could lleave it on one frequency. With
all the other antennas (except for the spider) you had to stop and get
out of the car to change bands or make big freq. jumps. The spider had
preset stingers for each band but this antenna was even worse than than
the outbacker. I couldn't get rid of either of them fast enough.
Just do a search for screwdriver antennas and you will have a field of
antnnas and installations. Truck installs are much easier than cars.

Butch

Old April 8th 05, 04:20 AM
Adair Winter

wrote in message
I'm looking for any suggestions on what type of H.F mobile antenna to
purchase. I want to install this Antenna on a 97 Chevy S-10 Pick-up. I
would like it to cover 80meters through 10 meters. The mount system is
what I am really interested in. Not sure which way to go on this, never
have been mobile with HF before. The pickup is a extended cab by the way.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

www.kj7u.com makes some of the best screw drivers i've ever personally
seen.. the design is awesome.
the hi-q ones MIGHT be better but cost more..

Adair - KD5DYP

Old April 8th 05, 06:06 AM
'Doc

radio52,
What worked well for me was a mount on the side of the
rear step bumper, antenna mast guyed by a plexiglas plate
extended from the side rail of the bed.
'Doc
Old April 8th 05, 10:08 PM
Joe S.

So -- tell me about these antennas. I run a Yaesu FT-857 with a ATAS-120.
How do I tune the KJ7U antenna? I see he sells it with a control box -- I
assume the control box has UP and DOWN switches (or switch) that I use to
run the antenna up or down while watching the SWR on the rig. Right?

--

-----
Joe S.

"Adair Winter" wrote in message
m...

Old April 12th 05, 09:57 PM
Ed

I'm looking for any suggestions on what type of H.F mobile antenna to
purchase. I want to install this Antenna on a 97 Chevy S-10 Pick-up. I
would like it to cover 80meters through 10 meters. The mount system is
what I am really interested in. Not sure which way to go on this,
never have been mobile with HF before. The pickup is a extended cab by
the way. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Knowing whether or not you had a camper shell on that pickup would be
useful as (IMHO) a point just behind the cab would be the best place to
locate an HF antenna.

Ed K7AAT
Old April 13th 05, 12:46 AM
H. Adam Stevens, NQ5H

"Ed" wrote in message
. 92.175...

I'm looking for any suggestions on what type of H.F mobile antenna to
purchase. I want to install this Antenna on a 97 Chevy S-10 Pick-up. I
would like it to cover 80meters through 10 meters. The mount system is
what I am really interested in. Not sure which way to go on this,
never have been mobile with HF before. The pickup is a extended cab by
the way. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Knowing whether or not you had a camper shell on that pickup would be
useful as (IMHO) a point just behind the cab would be the best place to
locate an HF antenna.

Ed K7AAT

Here is how I mount my screwdriver, a 4 foot Tarheel with a 5 foot whip.
I used a 103" whip for a while, but it hit overpasses on interstate
highways.
The truck is a Dodge Durango. I installed a ball mount on the right rear
where I could get at the backside of the mount from inside the truck. Turns
out there's a vent in the plastic interior that's easy to cut away.
To stabilize the screwdriver I mounted a U-bolt directly into the truck body
with large washers and a PVC ring on the antenna. Tightening the U-bolt
about the PVC ring pins the antenna to the truck.
After finding resonance with an antenna analyzer, the impedance on 40 turned
out to be 20 ohms. I built a toroidal autoformer to match it to the 50 ohms
of the TS480HX. I also have a BIG Hi-Q with a cap hat for 160 on up.
On the left side of the truck is a Hi-Q "shortie" (I forget the model) for 6
on down just on a ball mount and no matching network. I'm on the Spiderweb
Net often with this rig. (14.347 @1230Z daily).

I know I married this truck when I drilled holes in it (An NMO on the roof,
too.) At 96,000 miles I still have the original brakes and tires. There
have been no repairs. BTW the radio's mounted in the back, feedline's about
a foot to the big screwdriver, about three feet to the little Hi-Q.

73
H., NQ5H