Old June 15th 05, 10:43 PM
Moto579

Default Yagi for 448or so mhz

I would like to build a yagi for 448 mhz rangr for home use I have a 12 foot
1x1" piece of cedar and some 10 gauge copper wire It measures 0.15625" I
think it is 10 gauge. Am I wasting my time? Also how do I use 75 ohm line
as a feed line? All the plans I have found are for 50 ohm feedlines. It is
all I have for wire and living out in the boonies it is difficult to travel
to pick up some 50 ohm.

I'm on a budget / disabled and would appreciate any help/
knowledge/links/donations on this.
I own the ARRL Antenna book 20th edition and find it to be a bit
overwhelming so far.

Cheers,
Ryan

Old June 15th 05, 10:54 PM
Fred W4JLE

How far away is the station you are trying to receive? What is it's
elevation, and yours? What obstacles are between you and the station of
interest? What are you feeding the antenna output to? What is the polarity
of the signal from the distant station?

There are a gazillion yagi antenna designs. First let us know what you are
trying to accomplish, that will determine the best design for your
particular need.

You have the necessary stuff for a solution, once the needs are defined.

Old June 15th 05, 11:13 PM
Moto579

From 10 to 100 miles preferably the latter
My elevation is 1500 ft
Tower is at 5000ft
Clear line of site
Vertical polarity
Feeding to aYaesu FT-50rd 5 watt HT

Old June 15th 05, 11:19 PM
Moto579

Mainly I would like to use this on a 8 foot boom for somewhat portable use
feedline is 25 feet long

From 10 to 100 miles preferably the latter

Old June 15th 05, 11:33 PM
Ralph Mowery

"Moto579" wrote in message
I would like to build a yagi for 448 mhz rangr for home use I have a 12

foot
1x1" piece of cedar and some 10 gauge copper wire It measures 0.15625" I
think it is 10 gauge. Am I wasting my time? Also how do I use 75 ohm

line
as a feed line? All the plans I have found are for 50 ohm feedlines. It

is
all I have for wire and living out in the boonies it is difficult to

travel
to pick up some 50 ohm.

Don't worry about the 50 or 75 ohm feedline. Just build the antenna and
feed it with what you have. If you build an antenna with a matching section
and have a good swr meter calibrated to 75 ohms you can match it.
If you don't have a meter you will have to take whatever you get.

Old June 15th 05, 11:57 PM
Moto579

I have no meter other than the bars on the ht and a good multimeter.
Is this on track?
I split the driven and leave how much room between the two pieces?
Will 10 gauge wire make a big difference between from the below specs?
70 Centimeter 4 element beam center frequency 440 MHz

70 Centimeter 4 element beam
1/8" diameter tubing
Element Length
Element spacing
from Reflector

Reflector
13"
*****

Driven
12"
8-1/16"

Director 1
11-7/8"
16-3/4"

Director 2
11-3/4"
23-3/8"

Old June 16th 05, 03:35 AM
Kingfish Stevens

Considering the materials you have to work with, do a Google search on
"quagi antenna". Simple to build and no matching problems.
Kingfish

Old June 16th 05, 11:53 AM
Scott

With only 4 elements as listed, the elements will take up only about
24", so if you cut the boom down to about 30" or so, you can drill 2
holes near the back end of the antenna for a U-Bolt to mount it on a
pipe or whatever. This should be a pretty portable antenna. Feedline
length is not important, so use what you have.

Scott

Old June 17th 05, 12:18 AM
Tam/WB2TT

Using #10 wire instead of 1/8 tubing will very slightly raise the
frequiency, not enough to worry about. If you mount it for vertical
polarization, at least the top 2 feet of the mast should be non metallic,
wood or plastic water pipe. How are you going to match the feedline to the
driven element? I hope the 4 element beam has instructions for that.

Tam/WB2TT