Old October 6th 06, 11:53 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default SP-600 from hell:need knobs, handles

"Steve" wrote in message
I'm sure you're right, but the JX-26 I restored last year
has handles,
and they appear to be original. The one I just got has
holes in
exactly the same place, and sure look like they were there
originally. Is there a chance that some versions had them
but
most didn't?

Steve W6SSP

I have what is probably a JX-21 (the tuning unit cover
was missing when I got it) which is fitted for rack handles.
I have also seen pictures of receivers with the handles but
have never seen an actual receiver with them. There were
handles on some of the VLF versions of the RX, they look
like they get in the way.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old October 7th 06, 12:23 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Brian Hill" wrote in message

"Steve" wrote in message
I've always been a sucker for lost causes and high tube
count
boatanchors, so when I came across this SP-600 I had to
have it. This beast had been sitting on the floor of a
damp garage
for decades unprotected. I spent 3 hour cleaning out
mouse
turds and black widow webs.

Take it outside and hose it off. You wont hurt it. If you
need parts email me.
Remove your HAT to reply directly

--

Regards
B.H.

I will pass along a method of cleaning used at
Hewlett-Packard many years ago. We washed equipment sent in
for overhaul using a paint spray gun filled with warm water
and dishwashing detergent. This, along with a soft brush,
would remove most dirt and junk. Once washed the equipment
was rinsed off using a sprayer hose attachment and dried in
an electric oven for several days at about 130F. Remove
anything that can be damaged by moisture, meters for
instance. We also found a high rate of failure of
hermetically sealed transformers and chokes. This is
counterintuitive but if the seal is leaky moisture can get
in and has a hard time getting out again despite the baking.
I don't know what effect this will have on the ferrite cores
in the SP-600, maybe none.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old October 7th 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Richard Knoppow" wrote in message

[...]

You dont spray inside the cans. You gotta use your head. I otta make a
video.

BH

Old October 7th 06, 05:49 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Brian Hill" wrote in message
news

"Richard Knoppow" wrote in
message

[...]

Well, you can seal off the holes the adjusters come out
of. I would take the cans off because they will trap
moisture.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old October 8th 06, 07:24 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Got a RAT Infested Radio ??

There are several solutions that work on urine smell available at pet
stores. One of them is called Out. There are others, as well. They are
non-reactive to the ammonia component and work biologically through enzyme
action. I haven't tried it on any boatanchors, but it works good enough so
that a dog can't smell where he's peed before.
If you ask me, thats pretty damn good!

Chris
KC2BZH
wrote in message
oups.com...
Another hobby I have been into is restoring and collecting pinball
machines. I picked up an old machine a couple of winters ago that sat
in a barn for years. Brought it home and cleaned out the rats nests
and left in the garage. Summer hit and the rat **** that had soaked
into the wood stunk BIG time. Used javex to try to disinfect but no
match for the smell.

Sold it to a guy who has posted in this group. He said it eventually
faded but...

I won't buy anything in the winter that is wood that has had a nest in
it.

Brian

WDØHCO - Biz wrote:
JUST A WARNING TO ALL RESTORERS OF RAT INFESTED RADIOS......

Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome

Definition

Hantavirus is a disease characterized by flu-like symptoms followed by
respiratory failure.

Causes, incidence, and risk factors

Hantavirus has probably caused people to get sick for years in the United
States, but it was not recognized until recently.

A 1993 outbreak of fatal respiratory illness on an Indian reservation in
the
Four Corners area (the border of Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona)
led epidemiologists to the discovery of hantavirus as the causative agent.
Since that discovery, hantavirus disease has been reported in every
western
state, and in many eastern states.

Hantavirus is carried by rodents, particularly deer mice, and is present
in
their urine and feces. The virus does not cause disease in the carrier
animal. Humans are thought to become infected when they are exposed to
contaminated dust from the nests or droppings of mice.

The disease is not, however, passed between humans. Contaminated dust is
often encountered when cleaning long-vacated dwellings, sheds, or other
enclosed areas.

The federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported that
rodents carrying hantavirus have been found in at least twenty national
parks and that it is possible that the virus is in all of the parks.

Epidemiologists at the CDC suspect that campers and hikers may have a
higher
chance of contracting the disease than most people. This is due to the
fact
that they pitch tents on the forest floor and lay their sleeping bags down
in musty cabins.

So far, however, of the more than 100 cases that have been reported in the
U.S., only two were directly linked to camping or hiking. Most people who
are exposed have come into contact with rodent droppings in their own
homes.

The initial symptoms of hantavirus disease closely resemble influenza. The
disease begins abruptly with fever, chills, muscle aches (myalgia),
headache, nausea and vomiting, and malaise. A dry cough may be present.
The
fever may be higher in younger people than in older people.

For a very short period, the infected person feels somewhat better, but
this
is followed within a day or two by an increased respiratory rate caused by
seepage of fluid into the lungs. The initial shortness of breath is subtle
and the patient may be unaware of it, but progression is rapid. The
patient
ultimately develops respiratory failure.

An effective treatment for hantavirus is not yet available. Even with
intensive therapy, more than half of the diagnosed cases have been fatal.

Old October 8th 06, 08:54 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Christopher Bucca" wrote in message
There are several solutions that work on urine smell available at pet
stores. One of them is called Out. There are others, as well. They are
non-reactive to the ammonia component and work biologically through enzyme
action. I haven't tried it on any boatanchors, but it works good enough so
that a dog can't smell where he's peed before.
If you ask me, thats pretty damn good!

Chris
KC2BZH

That _is_ pretty damn good! Another product is Urine-Off, not to be confused
with ****-Off. : ) Works well on pet urine, can't vouch for
effectiveness in radio chassis. I have always used Bam! spray cleaner on
tobacco smell problem units. (jukes and pins) Gotta keep it away from relays
and tube sockets, as it is conductive as hell, but it takes away the tar and
the stuff that makes the stink. It also rinses clean with plain water.
regards,
tom