Old February 25th 07, 09:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Hardware Question

Hello,

Can anyone tell me just what means was used to tighten and loosen the
serrated/ribbed/knurled thin nuts used on panel-mount toggle switches?

I've been a gearhead since birth and have tinkered with radios almost as
long but have never encountered a tool to properly operate these decorative
nuts without potential damage. In one type of application, a hex nut is used
behind the panel with a decorative serrated nut on the front side. In this
case, it is a simple matter to merely tighten the behind-the-panel hex nut.
In other applications however - such as my TMC GPR-92 - the is no hex nut
and the switch is secured by only the serrated nut thereby requiring a means
to tighten it properly.

Replies directly to denis [dot] sharon [at] att.net would be appreciated.
Thanks

Regards,

Denis Sharon W1AOK
Ridgefield, CT

Old February 25th 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Denis Sharon wrote:
Hello,

Can anyone tell me just what means was used to tighten and loosen the
serrated/ribbed/knurled thin nuts used on panel-mount toggle switches?

I've been a gearhead since birth and have tinkered with radios almost as
long but have never encountered a tool to properly operate these decorative
nuts without potential damage. In one type of application, a hex nut is used
behind the panel with a decorative serrated nut on the front side. In this
case, it is a simple matter to merely tighten the behind-the-panel hex nut.
In other applications however - such as my TMC GPR-92 - the is no hex nut
and the switch is secured by only the serrated nut thereby requiring a means
to tighten it properly.

Replies directly to denis [dot] sharon [at] att.net would be appreciated.

Sadly, direct replies to posted questions goes against the spirit of
usenet.

The usual way to mount a switch is to align the knurled nut just slightly below
flush with the switch threads, and then tighten the hex nut that is on the back
side of the panel. This, of course, is not always possible. In those cases,
smart manufacturers used a decorative nut that can be engaged with a 12 point
socket.

-Chuck
Old February 25th 07, 11:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

This might help?

Nut Wrench for Toggle Switches
GC Nut wrench specifically for the knurled nuts on toggle switches. Use
of wrench prevents damage to surrounding area.

GC/Waldom
Table Nut Wrench for Toggle Switches
Product Description Toggle Switch nut wrench
Item# 477526

from Tessco Technologies

de K3HVG

Old February 26th 07, 01:43 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

I have a knurled nut wrench, which I purchased to remove the knurled nut on
my KWM-380. It was a high quality driver. However, no matter how hard I
tried, I could not remove the nut. There simply was not enough contact. I
finally had to use a pair of pliers and destroyed the knurled nut.

That led me to not want to reassemble the switch using the same technique.
I ended up using a nice 12 sided nut. It looks fine, though not original.

So, my KWM-380 is now non-standard. That does not bother me too much since
I also have non-standard boards inside.

Colin K7FM

Old February 26th 07, 02:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"COLIN LAMB" wrote in message
nk.net...
I have a knurled nut wrench, which I purchased to remove
the knurled nut on my KWM-380. It was a high quality
driver. However, no matter how hard I tried, I could not
remove the nut. There simply was not enough contact. I
finally had to use a pair of pliers and destroyed the
knurled nut.

That led me to not want to reassemble the switch using the
same technique. I ended up using a nice 12 sided nut. It
looks fine, though not original.

So, my KWM-380 is now non-standard. That does not bother
me too much since I also have non-standard boards inside.

Colin K7FM

If its possible to get to the back of the switch you can
try to loosen the back nut, usualy a regular hex nut. I've
also had some success by using a pair of pliers padded with
tape. Also, try a drop of WD-40 around the threads of the
nut. Let it soak in for a few minutes.
Some of these trim nuts are so thin that putting much
pressure on them with pliers will distort them and make them
very difficult to remove.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old February 26th 07, 04:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

I did not have any access to the backside to manipulate things.

Had I to do it over again, I would have tried something to try to dissolve
the bond between the knurl and the threads. But, it does not take much to
round things out enough to make it impossible to take it off gracefully.

Seems like you get one chance to do it right.

Colin K7FM

Old February 26th 07, 03:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Denis Sharon wrote:
[...]

General Cement has two wrenches listed in their catalog.

00-9358-0000 and
00-9359-0000

I've not used these so have no idea how well they work.

73, Roger

--
Remove tilde (~) to reply

Remember the USS Liberty (AGTR-5)
http://ussliberty.org/
Old February 26th 07, 04:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Denis Sharon wrote:

Can anyone tell me just what means was used to tighten and loosen the
serrated/ribbed/knurled thin nuts used on panel-mount toggle switches?

There is some info in the r.r.a.b FAQ -
http://www.virhistory.com/ham/rrab.faq.htm

=====================================
It is a poor job that doesn't require at least one new tool !
(I don't know whether these are still being manufactured or not, but
here are some leads)

Techni-Tool listed 2 adjustable knurled wrenches, 1/2" and 5/8", for
$13.20 ea. The collet in each allows 1/16 adj to allow for finish
thickness. Brand is listed as "Knurl-Tite", stock# 388WR014 for the
1/2" and #388WR016 for the 5/8".
Techni-Tool
5 Apollo Rd, Box368
Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462
Phone 215-825-4990 sales 941-2400 fax 828-5623

Also look for GC electronics GC-9358 (1/2") and GC-9359 (5/8")
A distributor is Jay Tronics @ 815-965-8786 (speak to Joe) and are
priced as follows: The smaller size wrench is GC catalog #9358 for
1/2" nuts @ $15.35 and the larger size is GC catalog #9359 for 5/8"
nuts @ $11.95.
73 & Have Fun,
Nick KD4CPL