Old October 26th 07, 06:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Need a source for an ACSY connector

The ACSY connector is used in place of the normal 8 pin DIN.

Anyone have a source?

Dave K4JRB

Old October 27th 07, 04:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Geessh Louise, a make and model of radio might help....

--

Clif Holland KA5IPF
www.avvid.com

Old October 27th 07, 03:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

David Thompson wrote:
The ACSY connector is used in place of the normal 8 pin DIN.

Anyone have a source?

What sort of connector is it? Is it a locking DIN? Is it a locking DIN
that screws down or just screws in partially?
--scott
Old October 27th 07, 10:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Scott Dorsey wrote:
David Thompson wrote:
The ACSY connector is used in place of the normal 8 pin DIN.

Anyone have a source?

What sort of connector is it? Is it a locking DIN? Is it a locking DIN
that screws down or just screws in partially?
--scott

I corresponded w/ the OP in other NGs and direct. It's a Kenwood TS130S.
The "ACSY" or "REMOTE" (depending on where you're reading) connector is a
circular 7-pin DIN. The "REMOTE VFO" connector is a circular 8-pin DIN
connector (with one pin offset from the generic type). I've seen them
offered for sale for ridiculous prices -- I easily modified generic (and
inexpensive) plugs to fit.

73,
Bryan WA7PRC
TS120S
TS130S
VFO120
SM220 w/ BS8

Old October 28th 07, 01:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Bryan wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
David Thompson wrote:
The ACSY connector is used in place of the normal 8 pin DIN.

Anyone have a source?

What sort of connector is it? Is it a locking DIN? Is it a locking DIN
that screws down or just screws in partially?

I corresponded w/ the OP in other NGs and direct. It's a Kenwood TS130S.
The "ACSY" or "REMOTE" (depending on where you're reading) connector is a
circular 7-pin DIN. The "REMOTE VFO" connector is a circular 8-pin DIN
connector (with one pin offset from the generic type). I've seen them
offered for sale for ridiculous prices -- I easily modified generic (and
inexpensive) plugs to fit.

There are actually a couple different 8-pin DIN connectors, just as there
are three different 5-pin DIN connectors. You should be able to get the
less common ones from Connector World Supply if you can actually find the
DIN spec numbers for them and if you do not require locking or Tuchel types.
--scott

Old October 28th 07, 08:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Bryan wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
David Thompson wrote:
[...]

I'm not the OP (original poster) -- I replied w/ info. As he intends to
interface a linear amplifier, he needs a nonlocking 7-pin plug such as:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...ame=CP-1070-ND.

Bryan WA7PRC

Old October 28th 07, 09:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Its a 7 pin ACSY. I have not tried to plug anything into the male plug and
have no experience with a TS-130S. It is the remote connector plug shown on
page 5 of the manual. Don't know what all the locking etc means as no
experience with this type of special Japanese connector at all!

A fellow from Avvid tells me the Kenwood part number is E07-0851-05 but a
Kenwood search comes up not found. I sent them an e-mail

Dave K4JRB

Old October 28th 07, 11:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

David Thompson wrote:
Its a 7 pin ACSY. I have not tried to plug anything into the male plug and
have no experience with a TS-130S. It is the remote connector plug shown on
page 5 of the manual. Don't know what all the locking etc means as no
experience with this type of special Japanese connector at all!

It's a German connector. DIN stands for German Industry Standard. And yes,
I think the connector you want _is_ a standard DIN type, just not a very
common one.

Some of the DIN connectors have a locking collar on them to lock them into
place, and there are several variants of these. One is an actual DIN standard
one is a Tuchel company type, and the other I'm not really sure about. You
clearly don't have any of these, otherwise you'd know it.

A fellow from Avvid tells me the Kenwood part number is E07-0851-05 but a
Kenwood search comes up not found. I sent them an e-mail

What you need is a standard number or a manufacturer's number. If you call
Connector World Supply in Seattle and send them a photo, they may be able to
match it for you. They are good folks at tracking down oddities.
--scott
Old October 29th 07, 06:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

David Thompson wrote:
Its a 7 pin ACSY. I have not tried to plug anything into the male plug

and
have no experience with a TS-130S. It is the remote connector plug shown

on
page 5 of the manual. Don't know what all the locking etc means as no
experience with this type of special Japanese connector at all!

A fellow from Avvid tells me the Kenwood part number is E07-0851-05 but a
Kenwood search comes up not found. I sent them an e-mail

Dave K4JRB

The DIN specification is German in origin. The "circular DIN" connector can
include a locking tab, ring, or no locking mechanism. You don't need any
lock.

If you absolutely MUST have the Kenwood part, Burghardt
(http://www.burghardt-amateur.com/Bur...rames/new_text
_frame.html) shows them available...

7 pin PN E07-0751-05 = $5.99 ea
8 pin PN E07-0851-05 = $6.49 ea

You want the 7-pin to interface to your amplifier -- the 8-pin is used to
interface to a remote VFO. DigiKey has the generic plugs available:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...ame=CP-1070-ND
(7-pin, $1.32 ea)
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...ame=CP-1080-ND
(8-pin, $1.35 ea)
If needed, it's super easy to "nudge" a pin with heat from your soldering
pencil.

You didn't mention what amplifier you'll be using... be aware you may need
to be concerned about ALC threshold. If you don't use ALC, just keep an eye
on your monitor oscilloscope.

Bryan WA7PRC