Old October 28th 07, 10:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default D-104 Mics... how many kinds?

I'm looking on ebay for a D-104 microphone to use with my Heath Marauder
transmitter, and I need to make sure I get the right one.

There seems to be differences between models... some are amplified, some
are not; some are high impedance, and some are low.

The sellers for these mics are highly unlikely to know anything worth
knowing about them it seems... so, which one do I need for my Marauder and
how do I make sure I'm getting the right one?

Thanks...

Old October 28th 07, 10:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Rick (W-A-one-R-K-T) wrote:
I'm looking on ebay for a D-104 microphone to use with my Heath Marauder
transmitter, and I need to make sure I get the right one.

There seems to be differences between models... some are amplified, some
are not; some are high impedance, and some are low.

The sellers for these mics are highly unlikely to know anything worth
knowing about them it seems... so, which one do I need for my Marauder and
how do I make sure I'm getting the right one?

Thanks...

The Heath Marauder normally accepts a high-Z mic, something at or above
a nominal 8-10k Ohms. A non-amplified D-104 will do the trick, nicely.
You may, however, also use an amplified D-104 by setting the gain of the
mic and the transmitter such that it does not flat-top (overmodulate),
as observed on a 'scope. I use both models but prefer the standard
model for the likes of older Johnson-Viking and Hallicrafters
transmitters. My take on the issue.

Old October 29th 07, 12:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Rick (W-A-one-R-K-T) wrote:
I'm looking on ebay for a D-104 microphone to use with my Heath Marauder
transmitter, and I need to make sure I get the right one.

There seems to be differences between models... some are amplified, some
are not; some are high impedance, and some are low.

And some of the high-Z ones have crystal elements, while others have
dynamic alements with step-up transformers.

The sellers for these mics are highly unlikely to know anything worth
knowing about them it seems... so, which one do I need for my Marauder and
how do I make sure I'm getting the right one?

You need a high-Z unbalanced input. You do not want a crystal element
mike, because the elements fail and cannot easily be replaced. Beyond
that, there are a bunch of variants that will work fine.
--scott
Old October 29th 07, 01:12 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Rick (W-A-one-R-K-T)" wrote in message
news

I'm looking on ebay for a D-104 microphone to use with my Heath Marauder
transmitter, and I need to make sure I get the right one.

There seems to be differences between models... some are amplified, some
are not; some are high impedance, and some are low.

The sellers for these mics are highly unlikely to know anything worth
knowing about them it seems... so, which one do I need for my Marauder and
how do I make sure I'm getting the right one?

Thanks...

He may be cleaning up the scans -- but here they a
http://barovelli.com/index.php?blog=...&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Old October 29th 07, 04:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Thanks to all for your help with the D-104 question.

I hear you about the crystal elements... I have had a few D-104's back in
the day, and I remember that the crystal elements were somewhat subject to
failure (although, even so, they seemed to hold up pretty well).

A half hour or so ago I bought a D-104 on ebay for $40, so we'll see
what happens when I pick it up and actually plug it in. The seller is
just a few towns over from me so I'm going to go pick it up tomorrow night.

Hopefully it'll work and be a nice addition to my fledgling boat anchor
station (see my page on qrz.com...).

Rick WA1RKT

Old October 29th 07, 10:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Rick (W-A-one-R-K-T) wrote:
I'm looking on ebay for a D-104 microphone to use with my Heath Marauder
transmitter, and I need to make sure I get the right one.

There seems to be differences between models... some are amplified, some
are not; some are high impedance, and some are low.

The sellers for these mics are highly unlikely to know anything worth
knowing about them it seems... so, which one do I need for my Marauder and
how do I make sure I'm getting the right one?

Thanks...

Hmmmm. Crystal elements are, as pointed out, subject to failure
arguably far more frequently than dynamic and other types. I continue to
have good success with crystal D-104's, albeit I do take care of them.
Suitable replacement elements are still available at reasonable cost and
D-104's can sound very good on vintage AM gear. If the mic is purported
to work, the mic head and UG or TUG stand are in observably nice
physical condition, the price you paid is quite reasonable. If it turns
out the element is defective, and onsidering the cost of a replacement
element, you'll still be OK... and, have a "new" mic.

Old October 29th 07, 02:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

K3HVG wrote:

Hmmmm. Crystal elements are, as pointed out, subject to failure
arguably far more frequently than dynamic and other types. I continue to
have good success with crystal D-104's, albeit I do take care of them.
Suitable replacement elements are still available at reasonable cost and
D-104's can sound very good on vintage AM gear.

Where are they available? The last I heard, CAD/Astatic was replacing
the crystal elements with dynamic ones if they came in for repair, claiming
they couldn't make the original crystal any more.

The crystal itself is sealed with a flexible goo... as long as that stays
sealed, it's fine, but as soon as it develops a small crack, atmospheric
moisture gets in.
--scott

Old October 29th 07, 06:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Scott Dorsey wrote:
K3HVG wrote:
Hmmmm. Crystal elements are, as pointed out, subject to failure
arguably far more frequently than dynamic and other types. I continue to
have good success with crystal D-104's, albeit I do take care of them.
Suitable replacement elements are still available at reasonable cost and
D-104's can sound very good on vintage AM gear.

Where are they available? The last I heard, CAD/Astatic was replacing
the crystal elements with dynamic ones if they came in for repair, claiming
they couldn't make the original crystal any more.

The crystal itself is sealed with a flexible goo... as long as that stays
sealed, it's fine, but as soon as it develops a small crack, atmospheric
moisture gets in.
--scott

OK... I probably should have been a bit more clear when I spoke of
replacements. What I meant was a crystal or dynamic element that would
fit the D-104. Your comments about the old Rochelle salt mic elements
are, of course, entirely correct. For further amplification of my post,
I just bought a couple of crystal elements from Mouser to replace an
element in a D-104 and a 10D head. They appear to work OK with adequate
output and good frequency response, especially given the usage on AM.
They are not original nor as big ones as in the original D-104 but with
a fabricated adaptor ring, they are good to go (and inexpensive!).
de K3HVG

Old October 29th 07, 06:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

K3HVG wrote:
OK... I probably should have been a bit more clear when I spoke of
replacements. What I meant was a crystal or dynamic element that would
fit the D-104. Your comments about the old Rochelle salt mic elements
are, of course, entirely correct. For further amplification of my post,
I just bought a couple of crystal elements from Mouser to replace an
element in a D-104 and a 10D head. They appear to work OK with adequate
output and good frequency response, especially given the usage on AM.
They are not original nor as big ones as in the original D-104 but with
a fabricated adaptor ring, they are good to go (and inexpensive!).

I had no idea anyone was still making them! I'll check out the Mouser
catalogue just for grins! Thanks!
--scott
Old October 29th 07, 08:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Scott Dorsey wrote:

I had no idea anyone was still making them! I'll check out the Mouser
catalogue just for grins! Thanks!
--scott

Scott, The Mouser p/n for the best one that they have is 25LM025. There
are others in that particular group, though, both ceramic and crystal.
Again, you can't beat the price.....!

Jeep/K3HVG