Old April 5th 09, 02:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Hallicrafter's Tour on Film

I found a tour of the Hallicrafter's plant on line.
This is a WW-2 propaganda film, dated 1944 and titled "Voice
of Victory". In two parts at http://www.archive.org
It has considerable detail on the construction of the
BC-610 and shows some other products in somewhat less
detail.
--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles

Old April 6th 09, 01:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

I found a tour of the Hallicrafter's plant on line.
This is a WW-2 propaganda film, dated 1944 and titled "Voice
of Victory". In two parts at http://www.archive.org
It has considerable detail on the construction of the
BC-610 and shows some other products in somewhat less
detail.
--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles
WB6KBL

My bet is they didn't need always need a heater in the back of the SCR266.
Interesting to see all the dollies and come-alongs used in production.

Also tons of other neat-o screen gems at that site. A keeper.

Old April 6th 09, 11:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Richard Knoppow wrote:

I am not sure what venue the film was meant for.
Probably not theatrical release. I remember seeing lots of
this sort of stuff in grammer school but this doesn't quite
fit that either.

I have seen a version of this with a Signal Corps officer and his
introduction that described the ongoing cooperation between industry and
the military. I would tend to agree that this was not a film for
outside distribution as its a bit esoteric for the masses. I'll bet it
was a typical "film of interest" for the various Army signal schools.
When I was in high school, a young lady who's father worked for one of
the Government archive agencies loaned a car-load of 16mm WWII technical
training films to our school. I can vividly remember the movie on the
SCR-506 with it mounted in trucks and other vehicles. That's the one
that made the cover of a 1945 QST. The '299 video is a keeper, for sure,
but wonder where all the other ones are now?

de K3HVG

Old April 6th 09, 02:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"K3HVG" wrote in message
.. .
Richard Knoppow wrote:

[...]

The SCR-694 (BC-1306) training video is available in three parts, on Youtube
I think. I also found "Pro Patria Vigilans" on Real Military Flix

http://www.realmilitaryflix.com/public/main.cfm

They also have the Joan_Eleanor training film as well.

I found the VOV film about the BC-610 very useful for stripping down my TX,
helps to know how it all bolts together!

73

Roger.G3VKM

Old April 6th 09, 03:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Richard Knoppow wrote:
Look for _Command Performance_ for an illustration of
how records were made c.1940. This had method continues to
this very day for vinyl records. 45's OTOH, were made by
injection molding.

Back in the seventies, if you wanted a 7" pressed you could either get a
vinyl pressing (like an LP) or an injection-molded styrene disk. For large
runs, the styrene pressings were considerably cheaper, so the big labels
used them almost exclusively. But, the vinyl pressings lasted a lot longer
and the distortion when they wore out wasn't quite as horrible, so they
sometimes were used for DJ promo discs and small releases.

None of the styrene systems are still running as far as I know, so if you
get a 7" pressing done today, it will be on standard vinyl.

A very well thought out record system but
RCA just did not get the point that people wanted continuous
records and didn't like record changers. The CBS Lp was a
makeshift. Too bad RCA was so hide-bound about a lot of
things.

Well, the thing is that at the time, the vast majority of record sales
were singles. And really, this continued until the early 1970s for
pop music. A big discussion of the economics of singles vs. LP records
can be found in Jim Eargle's original JAES article in the forties.

The LP was a huge advantage for classical recordings and it totally changed
the form of jazz to be able to make a cut longer than one side of a 78. But
the 45 sure had a lot of popularity in the pop music world for very long
because they were very cheap to make, and because the form of pop music was
such that people wanted one song at a time.

The CD Single flopped mostly because it was very expensive.... you could
get the full album for only a bit more than the single, and so there wasn't
a whole lot of demand for the single. But now in the age of digital downloads
we are seeing a real resurgence in singles sales.
--scott

Old April 6th 09, 04:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

I am not sure what venue the film was meant for.
Probably not theatrical release. I remember seeing lots of
this sort of stuff in grammer school but this doesn't quite
fit that either.

A morale booster for Halicrafters employees. A gift from the Signal Corps.
Nothing like a patriotic mission critical project to make everyone sit up
straighter.

Its a shame that morale is so thwarted these days in the name of "tolerance"
for all that is self destructive. Sure, people did bad things in the day,
but at least they didn't promote it in the media. Remember the "Joe Camel"
debacle, where it was finally considered that we shouldn't promote smoking
with cute cartoon characters. Now go look at the prime-time cartoons and
see what they are promoting. Their motto seems to be "do everything that
isn't specifically prohibited by the fine print of the law", "good taste be
damned above all". Flakes like that should be tarred and feathered and run
out of town before someone thinks to pass a law against "everything not
specifically allowed by law".

Old April 6th 09, 05:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 06:38:22 -0400, K3HVG wrote:

Richard Knoppow wrote:

[...]

I wonder if the military sent the films out to amateur radio clubs as
well? It'd be a good recruitment tool both for the signal corps and for
various manufacturers looking for skilled hands.

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Old April 6th 09, 11:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"JB" wrote in message
I found a tour of the Hallicrafter's plant on line.
This is a WW-2 propaganda film, dated 1944 and titled
"Voice
of Victory". In two parts at http://www.archive.org
It has considerable detail on the construction of
the
BC-610 and shows some other products in somewhat less
detail.
--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles
WB6KBL

My bet is they didn't need always need a heater in the
back of the SCR266.
Interesting to see all the dollies and come-alongs used in
production.

Also tons of other neat-o screen gems at that site. A
keeper.

I looked at the film again and see what you mean by the
dollies, etc. I didn't realize the first time how much hand
work was done. I didn't see a single power tool of any sort,
the closest was a "Yankee" screwdriver. Undoubtedly there
were power tools elsewhere but they didn't seem to be used
for assembly.
BTW, the ham radio scene near the opening is one of the
few representations of ham radio on film that is not
laughable. I did notice the absense of a clock, the fellow
checks the time on his watch. Perhaps deliberately so that
there would be no problems with the clock jumping around
between shots.
Jam Handy Films, who made this epic, was based in
Detroit and produced a lot of industrials for General
Motors, particularly the Chevrolet division, some of which
are on this site.
They did all right, except when they tried to emulate
Hollywood, as in the montage at the end of this film.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles

Old April 6th 09, 11:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Richard Knoppow wrote:
[...]

Well, I am old enough to remember when Lp's came out.
They chased 78's out of the record stores in nothing flat.
The 45 is an interesting case. It was much better engineered
than the Lp. The speed was chosen to be optimum for for the
inner and outer groove diameter, which is not the case for a
12" Lp. RCA also designed a innovative changer mechanism for
it, using a one inch center hole that was much less prone to
wear than the 1/4" (approximately) hole in the Lp or 78s.
This also allowed the use of a simple dropping mechanism in
the changer. The groove area is depressed so that the record
is supported by the label area and a rim at the outside to
prevent groove damage from records sliding or rotating over
each other. I've forgotten the maximum time possible on a 45
but its considerable, probably around six minutes if not cut
too hot. The audio quality of early 45's were better than
early Lp's partly due to the higher groove velocity but also
because RCA chose a different groove shape and there were
some other differences.
Columbia probably developed the Lp from its use of
broadcast type transcriptions to make masters for records. I
am not sure of the date this started but I think it was
probably around 1938. The use of a 16", 33-1/3 disc allowed
more flexibility in the recording session than cutting
directly to a wax master. Columbia (whoever they are now)
has released many CD's transferred from these discs. In a
few cases I hear faults that I thought were in the 78's.
Many early RCA and Victor records have been re-released from
transfers made from the stored metal work. The quality is
quite astonishing, generally better than the Columbia
transcriptions. Perhaps they just aged better. Its
interesting to me that we can hear quality in many of these
early recordings that hasn't been heard since they were
recorded (on the monitor speakers) if even then.
Anyway, this is all pretty far from boat anchor stuff,
although the disc recording equipment certainly fulfilled
the requirements for being boat anchors!
BTW, I knew John Eargle quite well and saw him last
only a few days before he died.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles
WB6KBL