Old October 6th 10, 08:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Help with hallicrafetrs SX-24

Would an SX-24 owner be so kind to scan the SX-24 schematic diagram and send it
to me via e-mail? )

The diagram on BAMA is unreadable thanks to that damn djvu compression.

Other diagrams which can be found on the web are too faint to be read.

Thanks i advance & 73.

Tony I0JX
Rome, Italy

Old October 7th 10, 07:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Wed, 6 Oct 2010 21:11:41 +0200, "Antonio Vernucci" did make
me awaken from my chaotic existentialism when they didst announce:

Would an SX-24 owner be so kind to scan the SX-24 schematic diagram and send it
to me via e-mail? )

The diagram on BAMA is unreadable thanks to that damn djvu compression.

Other diagrams which can be found on the web are too faint to be read.

Thanks i advance & 73.

Tony I0JX
Rome, Italy

Email to the address for you in your news posting bounced. If you send an email
to w3dbj(at@at@)comcast(dot)net (take the at@at@ and dot out to reply, I know
he can help.

Good luck, great radio there
--
OldbieOne -
The guy who tells it like it is!
Old October 9th 10, 02:16 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

)

The diagram on BAMA is unreadable thanks to that damn djvu
compression.

Other diagrams which can be found on the web are too faint
to be read.

Thanks i advance & 73.

Tony I0JX
Rome, Italy

There is a good readable schematic and alignment
instructions from Riders at:
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/914/M0008914.htm
There is another handbook at:
http://jptronics.org/radios/Hallicrafters/manuals.html
but its very low res and grayed out. It may be the same
one as on BAMA.
BTW, the owner of BAMA no longer accepts Dejavu stuff
because of the poor quality. It _can_ be better but most
users seem to want the smallest possible files and that
always makes things awful.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles

Old October 9th 10, 08:53 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

There is a good readable schematic and alignment instructions from Riders
at: http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/914/M0008914.htm

Thanks for info, but the file on that site in an EXE file that I do not like to
execute on my PC. I see no justification for offering an EXE file instead that
any other common document format (PDF, DOC, ...), and this leads me to suspect
that there is some form of virus embedded in it.

With regard to djvu, in the terabit hard disks and high-speed ADSL era it makes
little sense to spare a few hundreds of kybtes with djvu. Moreover the djvu
reader I use (ACDsee) is a rather poor program (but maybe a better reader is
available).

It is a pity that a good deal of files on BAMA are of no practical use. I am
still asking myself how can people upload files on BAMA without checking the
images quality first. And the answer I usually get to that question ("better
than nothing") seems to me rather silly.

Anyway, in the end I found a local guy who has an original SX-24 manual, and I
could then make a good photocopy.

Thanks and 73

Tony I0JX
Rome, Italy

Old October 9th 10, 01:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Oct 9, 12:53*am, "Antonio Vernucci" wrote:
[...]

The file at Nostalgia air _is_ a PDF. I don't know what you
clicked on but look again.

Richard Knoppow
WB6KBL

Old October 9th 10, 04:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

The file at Nostalgia air _is_ a PDF. I don't know what you
clicked on but look again.

Yes, they say it is a pdf file, but when you click on the download icon, its
starts downloading a file named M0008914.exe. Did you actually try to download
it and execute it?

The diagram on jptronics is unfortunately useless.

73

Tony I0JX

Old October 9th 10, 05:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Antonio Vernucci" wrote in message
The file at Nostalgia air _is_ a PDF. I don't know what
you
clicked on but look again.

Yes, they say it is a pdf file, but when you click on the
download icon, its starts downloading a file named
M0008914.exe. Did you actually try to download it and
execute it?

The diagram on jptronics is unfortunately useless.

73

Tony I0JX

I have downloaded many files from Nostalgia Air, in
fact I tested this one before recommending it to see what it
was like. When I clicked on the download symbol it came up
labled as a .PDF as have all the others. I don't know what
sort of executable there could be there. What browser are
you using?
Unfortunately, the manual at the other site is as bad
as the one at BAMA, grayed out and low res.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles

Old October 9th 10, 06:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Tony I0JX
I have downloaded many files from Nostalgia Air, in fact I tested this one
before recommending it to see what it was like. When I clicked on the download
symbol it came up labled as a .PDF as have all the others. I don't know what
sort of executable there could be there. What browser are you using?
Unfortunately, the manual at the other site is as bad as the one at BAMA,
grayed out and low res.

The Opera browser reports me it is downloading an EXE file, and actually
produces an EXE file.

Both Internet Explorer and Google Chrome instead report and produce a PDF file.

Crazy!

Thanks and 73

Tony I0JX

Old October 9th 10, 10:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Edmund H. Ramm" wrote in message
In

Richard Knoppow writes:

[...]
The file at Nostalgia air _is_ a PDF. I don't know
what you
clicked on but look again.

It is, alas only a very poor 75dpi scan.

73, Eddi ._._.

What I got seems more than this. Its the Rider's pages
for the RX. BAMA has a very low res scan and so does the
other site I gave. They are so poor as to be useless while
the Rider's info is quite readable and is useful for both
trouble shooting and alignment. BAMA is dependant on
whatever they are sent. They have a good S-20R scan because
I made it and sent it. Its the one that has an added
advertisement announcing the model.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles

Old October 10th 10, 12:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

In article ,
"Antonio Vernucci" wrote:

Tony I0JX

I have downloaded many files from Nostalgia Air, in fact I tested this
one
before recommending it to see what it was like. When I clicked on the
download
symbol it came up labled as a .PDF as have all the others. I don't know
what
sort of executable there could be there. What browser are you using?
Unfortunately, the manual at the other site is as bad as the one at
BAMA,
grayed out and low res.

The Opera browser reports me it is downloading an EXE file, and actually
produces an EXE file.

Both Internet Explorer and Google Chrome instead report and produce a PDF
file.

Tony-

I don't remember how I did it, but when I found I had downloaded an EXE
file, I went back and found a different place to click. This time it
downloaded a PDF file that opened correctly.

At first I thought the EXE file might actually be a self-extracting ZIP
file. But when I changed its suffix to .ZIP, my un-zip program said it
was not.

Then I changed the .EXE to .PDF, and it opened fine!

Fred
K4DII