Old September 21st 05, 04:48 PM
JC

GBrown wrote:

After serving our country in Iraq, I would expect that the US government
would reissue your license. That's the least they could do for someone who
put there life on the line for the rest of us.
Regards,
Gary...WZ1M
..

As a matter of fact, after doing some simple research at arrl.org (doh!)
I found that a simple form will do it.

I appreciate all the answers and I'm now checking with ARAST (Amateur
Radio Ass. of the Southern Tier (NYS) as they have a ham fest coming up
this weekend. I'll check my options with them as well as put together a
list for this group.

My main concern with EBay is shipping, as some of this stuff is heavy,
to put it mildly; things like a couple of Hallicrafters Receivers &
transmitters, 2 pairs of Kenwood 599 Rx/Tx, a couple of old heathkit
Tx/Rx and test equip, plus...

Its a big list :-)

Thanks to everyone for answering my original post, and again, its
absolutely great to be back.

John C.
Old October 12th 05, 05:10 PM
JB

In my experience it is difficult to get much return on an investment in
radio gear unless the item is a noteworthy model in clean condition. Most
equipment will sit on consignment shelves or on websites for months without
any interest. If storage is a problem, I suggest consignment at a Ham store
first, or a trip to a LARGE hamfest. It may take a dozen times to clear any
reasonable reserve price on E-bay and without one your stuff may go for
pennies on the dollar. You will spend lots of time fooling around. I have
some items that have interest to me but no interest to anyone else that have
grown old on the shelf.

If space is a problem, your best bet would be to stack it up in the garage
or even in the back yard, off the ground and under a tarp. Otherwise you
might donate it to a ham club just to get it out of the way.

As for your license, I thought there was a 6 month period where you could
renew. You can renew on-line in minutes and it costs you nothing. If
longer, try it anyway. If it doesn't work they will send you a letter
telling you so and you will know who to state your case to.

JB

"JC" wrote in message
I have a couple of questions for the group regarding selling older
equipment.

I recently returned from Iraq and while I was there my license expired.
I don't have the time to renew at the moment due to massive repairs of
the house - empty for 14 months - and I am again looking for work, so
the license is not a priority ATT.

Anyway, I need advice in the best way to unload a lot of older Kenwood,
Heathkit, Hallicrafters, Drake transveivers, receivers, transmitters,
test equipment, etc. Some verified working, some worked when put in
storage, some needs repair, re-capping, some parts only.

Besides this group, what are other successful methods of selling this
stuff, EBay being a last resort.

Regards,

John C.

P.S. Please reply to the group. Thanks.

Old October 12th 05, 09:24 PM
William Warren

"JC" wrote in message

I have a couple of questions for the group regarding selling older
equipment.

I recently returned from Iraq and while I was there my license expired.
I don't have the time to renew at the moment due to massive repairs of
the house - empty for 14 months - and I am again looking for work, so
the license is not a priority ATT.

Anyway, I need advice in the best way to unload a lot of older Kenwood,
Heathkit, Hallicrafters, Drake transveivers, receivers, transmitters,
test equipment, etc. Some verified working, some worked when put in
storage, some needs repair, re-capping, some parts only.

Besides this group, what are other successful methods of selling this
stuff, EBay being a last resort.

Regards,

John C.

P.S. Please reply to the group. Thanks.

If your license expires while you're overseas and in the military, the
renewal period is automatically extended: IIRC, until a year after your
return, but it's been a while.

I'll follow the JB's suggestion: take an hour and get 'er done.

Oh, and welcome home.

73, Bill

--

William Warren

(Filter noise from my address for direct replies)