Old May 22nd 11, 06:16 PM posted to ba.broadcast.moderated,rec.radio.broadcasting

Default Journalists visit Family Radio HQ (while they can)

In article ,
John T wrote:
Patty Winter wrote, On 5/20/2011 10:28 PM:

TV staff? FR has TV shows, too? I don't see any TV stations listed
on their "Stations" page.

Heh. We've always been the odd-man-out/black sheep of Family Stations.
KFTL-CD, Channel 28, San Francisco from San Bruno Mountain. Studios in
Oakland next to Family Radio headquarters.

Ah, okay. Guess I don't get it. I just looked at my OTA list and that
one isn't on it. I just rescanned a few weeks ago, so my list is up
to date.

Any video of Family Bible Study and Open Forum that have been on the
FR web site originated in our studio. Open Forum has originated from
the TV studio since 1988.

I didn't notice any video links on the FR website, but maybe I missed
them. I'm still waiting for the May 19th Open Forum MP3 to be uploaded.

So who's feeding the network now? The same staff that's always on
duty on weekends?

I don't know what our Network Control manager told his staff- and I'm
pretty sure radio programming will be something of a mess for a while.
Our programming people had their creativity amputated and cauterized
long ago.

Yes, one of the newspaper articles mentioned that they'd been told
not to produce any new shows for after May 20th.

I look after my own spheres of influence. I am operations manager of
KFTL-CD (Meaning that some days I manage to operate!). I am also the
default external Internet connectivity guy for FRHQ and look after the
mp3 stream encoders that function as STLs for direct-to-home satellite
uplinking in the U.K.

Family Radio has an uplink facility in the UK? What do they originate
from there?

There's a few other hats I wear from time to
time. It all sounds much more important that it really is.

:-)

Patty

Old May 22nd 11, 07:18 PM posted to ba.broadcast.moderated,rec.radio.broadcasting

Here's a follow-up article in the L.A. Times that mentions the
radio stations and FR personnel in a couple of places, including
news that FR's station in Sacramento was vandalized:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,5118540.story

I checked the SacBee's website, but they had no further information;
just the same one-liner in the story they'd picked up from the Times.
Hopefully the vandalism was only graffiti or something like that that
didn't damage the broadcasting equipment.

Patty

Old May 22nd 11, 09:59 PM posted to ba.broadcast.moderated,rec.radio.broadcasting

* Patty Winter wrote, On 5/22/2011 10:16 AM:

I didn't notice any video links on the FR website, but maybe I missed
them. I'm still waiting for the May 19th Open Forum MP3 to be uploaded.

I'm always surprised anybody can find anything on that (F)ugly mess.
Don't get me started!

one of the newspaper articles mentioned that they'd been told
not to produce any new shows for after May 20th.

Not exactly. The problem was that no one said *what* to produce. And
it didn't matter to Camping and Co., since it was just "busy work" anyway.

mp3 stream encoders that function as STLs for direct-to-home satellite
uplinking in the U.K.

Family Radio has an uplink facility in the UK? What do they originate
from there?

We have had three full-time audio channels on direct-to-home satellite
for over ten years. One is our domestic stereo feed time-shifted for
Central European Time. The other two are multi-lingual mono streams on
the same satellites. These are currently uplinked for us by World
Radio Network (WRN), and we appear in the BSkyB EPG.

One of the multi-lingual streams is also directed to another uplink
site for specific program distribution to transmitters in various
places such as South Africa, India, Dubai, Wooferton, etc. If you go
to www.short-wave.info and select Family Radio from the drop-down
list, it will show you all of the shortwave transmitters we've been
on. Most of our shortwave programs are delivered to the uplink service
by ftp, however.

How much of this will continue, or for how long, I have no idea.

JT

Old May 22nd 11, 09:59 PM posted to ba.broadcast.moderated,rec.radio.broadcasting

* Patty Winter wrote, On 5/22/2011 11:18 AM:
Here's a follow-up article in the L.A. Times that mentions the
radio stations and FR personnel in a couple of places, including
news that FR's station in Sacramento was vandalized:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,5118540.story

I hadn't heard that. I'm sure I'll get a thorough update tomorrow. A
lot of the "sheep without a shepherd" will be turning to my immediate
boss for guidance and feeding us news.

I'll update here as I can, when I know anything of a publicly
appropriate nature.

JT

Old May 23rd 11, 01:14 AM posted to ba.broadcast.moderated,rec.radio.broadcasting

In article ,
John T wrote:
* Patty Winter wrote, On 5/22/2011 11:18 AM:
Here's a follow-up article in the L.A. Times that mentions the
radio stations and FR personnel in a couple of places, including
news that FR's station in Sacramento was vandalized:

I hadn't heard that. I'm sure I'll get a thorough update tomorrow. A
lot of the "sheep without a shepherd" will be turning to my immediate
boss for guidance and feeding us news.

I'll update here as I can, when I know anything of a publicly
appropriate nature.

Please do let us know what you find out about the Sacto facility.
And anything else you can reveal about what happens at the HQ
tomorrow would also be very interesting. This is a unique and
bizarre situation for a radio network, so I really appreciate
that you've been sharing what you can with BABM/RRB readers.

Patty

(additional questions sent in email)

Old May 25th 11, 05:08 PM posted to ba.broadcast.moderated,rec.radio.broadcasting

Patty Winter wrote:

I checked the SacBee's website, but they had no further information;
just the same one-liner in the story they'd picked up from the Times.
Hopefully the vandalism was only graffiti or something like that that
didn't damage the broadcasting equipment.

Third-hand rumor I heard was AC compressors and tubing were taken and
some of the ground radials.
--scott