Old August 7th 03, 02:48 AM
Geoff Brozny

"Tony Calguire" wrote in message
There's also a broadcast station called WWHO on channel 53, also a UPN
affiliate, but it doesn't appear to be carried on cable.

WWHO is licensed to Chillicothe and calls them selves UPN Columbus, and
carries both WB and UPN networks for Columbus, It is available on cable in
Columbus.

geoff

Old August 7th 03, 02:48 AM
Sven Franklyn Weil

In article , umarc wrote:
In Boston, we've had WBZ-TV Channel 4 and WCVB (once WHDH-TV)
Channel 5 as long as anyone can remember.

The separation between those two sets of frequencies is wide enough
that such an allocation is allowable.

I believe the same thing can be done with 6 and 7 (both are at
opposite ends of the FM broadcast band).

--
Sven Weil
New York City, U.S.A.

Old August 7th 03, 03:17 PM
CA was in NJ

Vinyl Bytes wrote:

Channels 4 and 5 aren't actually adjacent. There's 4 mHz of spectrum
in-between.
Channel 4 -- 66 to 72 mHz
Channel 5 -- 76 to 82 mHz

Incidentally, between 4 and 5 is where cable channel 1 lives.

Old August 7th 03, 03:17 PM
Mark Roberts

Mark Howell had written:

| What's been done to the NCE band in recent years is absolutely
| scandalous. I was under the evidently false impression that the
| mission of the F.C.C. was to prevent interference, not promote it.

What happened with BC 80-90 plus the "super A" proceeding should
have cleared up *that* misconception.

Then there are PSSAs, certain DAs, the seemingly perpetual waivers
for stations who were supposed to "move" to the expanded band, just
to name three for the AM band.

The FCC's motto the last 25 years : "let no post office go
without a radio station nearby"

--
Mark Roberts
Oakland, California

Old August 8th 03, 02:57 PM
CA was in NJ

Peter H. wrote:

The only COL (and market) to have every possible VHF channel AND with every
such channel having an offset of zero is Los Angeles.

Ok. Why?

Old August 9th 03, 05:39 PM
Doug Smith W9WI

G.T TYSON wrote:
I always found it unusual that WFXI-TV in Morehead City NC managed to
get a channel 8 VHF allocation assigned to them. There's a full-power 7
and 9 less than 50 miles away and another channel 8 just across the
border in Virginia. That must have taken some extremely creative
engineering.

Under the old regulations adjacent VHF channel full-power stations must
be at least 95.7km (just shy of 60 miles) apart. (87.7km, just shy of
55 miles, for UHF)

The FCC shoehorned in a few short-spaced allotments back in the early
1970s, and it took awhile for them to decide who'd get those allotments.
Channel 8 in Knoxville, TN and Altoona, PA are two examples.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old August 10th 03, 05:09 PM
Zach

"CA was in NJ"
SHOT_ON_SIGHT wrote in
message ...
Steven J. Sobol wrote:
There was something floating around either on one of these groups or maybe
at 100000watts.com about two non-comm FM's on the *same* channel on

opposite
ends of a city.

In addition to the ones in Chicago, here in Birmingham, AL we have two
stations on 91.1, both of which are college-run outlets.

WVSU operates at only 500w with a south-oriented directional antenna from
atop Shades Crest in the southern suburbs, and WJSR operates with a massive
100w which may be directional to the north from the far-north community of
Pinson.

About five years ago they both were 100w nondirectional, but both had really
low HAATs and several hills separating the signals. Either way, the only
place I could find discernable interference between the two was in east
B'ham near Century Plaza and in Tarrant City, just north of downtown.

~Zach