Old June 8th 04, 12:24 AM
Bobby

"Bill Doerner" wrote in message ...
"Peter H." wrote in message

That was one of the saddest days in broadcast
history for me. WOWO used to have an incredible
signal here in Kentucky.

But, WCKY had a stronger signal, and it was actually a former Kentucky

station,
too. Originally licensed to Covington.

Back in the 70s, my radio buttons were set on WLS,
WCFL, WOWO, and 15 WLAC.

WLAC is on 1510.

True enough, but for years they went by the moniker "15 - WLAC"

Back in the, um, good old days of analog tuners, many stations
'rounded' their frequencies. On an analog tuner you could hardly tell
the difference between 1500 and 1510. An FM station where I live went
by the phrase 'Great 98', although the frequency was 97.9.

When digital tuners showed up all the stations changed their strategy
and started referring to the precise frequency where they were
located.

Old June 8th 04, 05:57 AM
David Eduardo

"Bobby" wrote in message
"Bill Doerner" wrote in message

Back in the, um, good old days of analog tuners, many stations
'rounded' their frequencies. On an analog tuner you could hardly tell
the difference between 1500 and 1510. An FM station where I live went
by the phrase 'Great 98', although the frequency was 97.9.

When digital tuners showed up all the stations changed their strategy
and started referring to the precise frequency where they were
located.

Actually, the reason stations changed to precise dial position imaging is
because, as digital dials increased in availability, stations saw that
precise postions were what was being written down by Arbitron diarykeepers.
In addtion, exact postion is a 100% foolproof credit; a rounded postion can
throw diary entries into ascription. Thus, exact frequency on-air mentions.

Old June 16th 04, 04:17 PM
CA was in NJ

David Eduardo wrote:

In addtion, exact postion is a 100% foolproof credit; a rounded postion can
throw diary entries into ascription. Thus, exact frequency on-air mentions.

There is the occasional exception to the rule too. I know of one station
that was IDed at 101.9, then became K102, then went back to 101.9 (same
basic format with a re-tweaking each time.) There were also 102.3 and 102.7
stations in the same market. Go figure.