Old May 24th 04, 06:38 PM
Tom Betz

Default Franken beats Rush in NYC 25-43 demo?

I just heard Franken talking about the latest Arbitrends a little while
ago. If I heard him right, he said that WLIB got a bigger share than WABC
in both the 18-24 and 25-34 demos during the midday daypart.

This would mean that Franken, on the puny WLIB, beat Rush, on the
powerhouse WABC, in two desirable demographics.

Does anyone have the details? I can't find any press confirmation or
refutation anywhere I have looked.

Thanks.

--
|I always wanted to be someone,| Tom Betz, Generalist |
|but now I think I should have | Want to send me email? |

Old May 25th 04, 03:55 PM
Rich Wood

On 24 May 2004 17:38:00 GMT, Tom Betz wrote:

I just heard Franken talking about the latest Arbitrends a little while
ago. If I heard him right, he said that WLIB got a bigger share than WABC
in both the 18-24 and 25-34 demos during the midday daypart.

Franken was the keynote speaker at this weekend's Talkers New Media
Seminar in New York. He made that claim there but clearly didn't
understand what the numbers meant.

I can believe it might be true due to all the external publicity. It's
not the book. It's the first 3 month average.

Frankenly, I hope he's right. He was very open about the troubles the
network is having and made some very funny remarks about the quality
of its series of managers.

This would mean that Franken, on the puny WLIB, beat Rush, on the
powerhouse WABC, in two desirable demographics.

The differences he quoted were well within statistical error. We need
to find someone on the list with access to Maximiser with the New York
figures.

Rich

Old May 25th 04, 07:46 PM
Tom Betz

Rich Wood wrote in news:c8vmpe$18c$1
@xuxa.iecc.com:

I can believe it might be true due to all the external publicity. It's
not the book. It's the first 3 month average.

Actually, after discussion with others elsewhere who DO have access to
Maximizer, it looks as though the numbers Franken saw (and happily
admitted he doesn't really understand) were the raw share numbers just
for April.

This three-month rolling trend comparison for the midday daypart (the
last two hours of Unfiltered and all of O'Franken Factor vs. the last two
hours of John Gambling and all of Rush Limbaugh) is very interesting.

10AM-3PM MON-FRI, PERSONS 25-54

F M A
WABC 2.5 2.2 2.6
WLIB 1.0 1.5 2.2

These are "trend" numbers, meaning that the April raw share number would
actually be higher for both stations -- as I understand it, the previous
two months' listenership is factored into the April number as presented.

Given the huge leap that the April number represents for WLIB, it's
possible that the raw listener share for WLIB in April actually WAS
slightly higher than for WABC -- in other words, out of the box, Franken
may have beaten (or at least tied) Rush in the #1 U.S. radio market! I'm
still digging to sort it out, as I don't have direct access to the raw
information, either.

Frankenly, I hope he's right.

Frankenly (did you mean to type that?), so do I. If it turns out he's
wrong, I'm sure he'll feature that fact in an upcoming "Boring
Corrections" segment.

Only time will tell whether Air America can sustain such remarkable
performance on WLIB -- but even to move for one month into the ratings
neighborhood of the WABC powerhouse is quite an accomplishment.

Old May 26th 04, 04:04 PM
David Eduardo

"Rich Wood" wrote in message

The differences he quoted were well within statistical error. We need
to find someone on the list with access to Maximiser with the New York
figures.

I did the extraps using actuals from the Programmers Package in Maximiser
and X-trends to get the 25-54 April only for 10-3. WABC: 3.1 and WLIB: 3.4.

Old May 26th 04, 04:04 PM
David Eduardo

"Tom Betz" wrote in message

I just heard Franken talking about the latest Arbitrends a little while
ago. If I heard him right, he said that WLIB got a bigger share than WABC
in both the 18-24 and 25-34 demos during the midday daypart.

There is no 18-24 demo in a trend report.

Old May 26th 04, 11:46 PM
Tom Betz

Quoth "David Eduardo" in
:
"Rich Wood" wrote in message

The differences he quoted were well within statistical error. We need
to find someone on the list with access to Maximiser with the New York
figures.

I did the extraps using actuals from the Programmers Package in Maximiser
and X-trends to get the 25-54 April only for 10-3. WABC: 3.1 and WLIB: 3.4.

That matches what Inside Radio reported today.

It will be interesting to see whether or not WLIB can hold on to this share
through June.

It will also be interesting to see how soon Clear Channel (whose Air America
affiliate KPOJ is reported to have quadrupled its share of the Portland OR
market in April) fires up its own liberal talk network on its underperforming
AM stations around the country; and whether this happens fast enough to put
Air America out of business before it can sign up more affiliates for itself.

--
"I am afeard there are few die well that die in a battle; for how can they
charitably dispose of anything when blood is their argument? Now, if these

Old May 27th 04, 05:20 AM
David Eduardo

"Tom Betz" wrote in message

It will also be interesting to see how soon Clear Channel (whose Air

America
affiliate KPOJ is reported to have quadrupled its share of the Portland OR
market in April) fires up its own liberal talk network...

Impossible premise. Feb-Mar-Apr trend for Portland is not out till June 3.
There are no Portland numbers... yet.

Old May 27th 04, 04:07 PM
Rich Wood

On 26 May 2004 15:04:30 GMT, "David Eduardo"
wrote:

I did the extraps using actuals from the Programmers Package in Maximiser
and X-trends to get the 25-54 April only for 10-3. WABC: 3.1 and WLIB: 3.4.

Since I like Franken more than Limbaugh, I hope the trend continues. I
can believe it's possible in New York because Limbaugh never had the
same relative success he's had in other markets. I always found that
to be strange because he never really had competition there. WOR was
sales driven with Arthur Schwartz (food) and The Dolans (finance)
against him.

In the middle of the April survey WOR changed the times of their
12-3pm shows. I think Dr. Joy Browne is likely to beat him up with
women and Franken, even if he doesn't keep his momentum, offers a
second threat to Limbaugh's exclusive grip on 12-3.

It looks as though an unusual number of diaries might have gone to NY
vs NJ counties.

Rich

Old May 27th 04, 04:07 PM
Tom Betz

On Thu, 27 May 2004 04:20:06 +0000, David Eduardo wrote:

=20
"Tom Betz" wrote in message
=20
It will also be interesting to see how soon Clear Channel (whose Air
America affiliate KPOJ is reported to have quadrupled its share of=20
the Portland OR market in April) fires up its own liberal talk
network...

=20
Impossible premise. Feb-Mar-Apr trend for Portland is not out till June
3. There are no Portland numbers... yet.

This report is supposedly based on CC's own internal surveys in Portland.

Time will tell whether the next Arbitrends book bears this out.

Old May 27th 04, 08:54 PM
Tom Betz

Rich Wood wrote in news:c95088$euh$1
@xuxa.iecc.com:

Since I like Franken more than Limbaugh, I hope the trend continues.

From my earliest sentient moments until he left radio, I listened

regularly (on WJR) to Arthur Godfrey's program.

The more I listen to Franken, the more his style reminds me of the best
parts of Godfrey's style, but with better writing.

He may not have radio background, but Franken is quickly developing radio
chops.