Old May 25th 05, 02:28 AM
David Eduardo

wrote in message ...

David Eduardo wrote:
Fortunately, the US realized what places like Mexico had known all

along:
the market will provide amply for news needs and specialized news and

information stations will be created naturally. Mexico has, in

general, more
and better news and information stations than the US does, and none

was ever
forced to do news and information programming.

Mexican stations were (are?) still forced to run that dreadful Sunday
night program, though (didn't it sound like someone was talking over a
barrel?)

La Hora Nacional still is a must carry. However, we are talking about an
hour that typically has a 3.0 rating for persons using radio, so it is not
important.

Mexico City has more news and talk stations than NY, LA and Chicago
combined.

Old May 25th 05, 07:17 AM
rangemaster

I don't see why people go to so much trouble to broadcast illegally
when it is possible to broadcast legally & cover large areas, of course
it is only with the AM band this is possible but you can get near FM
sound quality with the right audio equipment. We have customers that
cover small cities legally with multiple transmitters.

Old May 25th 05, 03:04 PM
GeorgeC

Fred-

Doesn't sound like you're speaking of Awstin stations. Having lived here off
and on for 19 years, I can't picture any one here crafting a listenable
newscast. I listen to the 5,000 ounce chimpanzee every morning, and the
newscasts are about on par with a college radio station.

Growing up in the NY market the newscasts on WABC were good and paced well.
But that was a long time ago. When the music died in the early 80's I
stopped listening.

When I played radio in the early 70's the news was a joke. They tried to be
serious, but the main goal in the control room was still to crack the
newsguy.

George Csahanin
Awstin, TX

"fredtv" wrote in message
Public service should be part of
what the station does every day. The typical Public service programs
hidden away on Sunday morning do the public no good.

Remember when top 40 stations had talented and clever news people who
actually crafted listenable newscasts? They were fun on slow news days

and
credible when the public need arose. Public service was also part of the
format-- not a block of shows hidden on the schedule.

Fred Cantu
Austin, TX

Old May 25th 05, 03:04 PM
gbfmif

I used to travel a lot - fortunately no longer do so - but would listen to a
news report of a current event on a given subject in Japan - then next day hear
the US version on that same subject - then next day hear the BBC or European
view - was very hard to tell we were talking about the same event - the skew was
extreme from each source concerning that same event - what was true? well - not
sure - and current extrapolation to today approach concerning US HomeLand
Security news etc etc etc in US news compared to the rest of the world view of
news - well - guess I will be investigated as a non US patriot for this post -
whatever

likable PC correct news is one thing - reality (whatever that is) is another - I
would prefer reality or at least objective facts minus the politics and skew of
political agendas

Do you have a windmill I can tilt at????? Low rates - guaranteed success -
dragons extra!

David Eduardo wrote:

"fredtv" wrote in message
Public service should be part of
what the station does every day. The typical Public service programs
hidden away on Sunday morning do the public no good.

Remember when top 40 stations had talented and clever news people who
actually crafted listenable newscasts? They were fun on slow news days
and
credible when the public need arose. Public service was also part of the
format-- not a block of shows hidden on the schedule.

Yes, I remember that from the 50's and 60's. Every time one of the newscasts
came on, I would go to the other local Top 40 station until the news came on
on that station, when I would go back. All my friends did the same thing.

Fortunately, the US realized what places like Mexico had known all along:
the market will provide amply for news needs and specialized news and
information stations will be created naturally. Mexico has, in general, more
and better news and information stations than the US does, and none was ever
forced to do news and information programming.

F/S Texas Star Sweet 16 W/ Mod V Plus driver and fan kit....ALL NEW $675.00 TRA1N CB 2 March 30th 09 05:28 AM
Peaked and Tuned Dan CB 108 May 15th 04 03:48 PM
? on a texas ranger tr696f ssb base Mwin33 CB 1 February 19th 04 05:34 PM
"Export" radio loophole closed - BUST MADE Bandit CB 36 December 17th 03 04:17 AM