Old April 27th 05, 05:03 PM
U Know Who

"itoldyouiamnotiamnotgeorge"
wrote in message ...
"U Know Who" wrote in news:6TCbe.43676$hu5.16593
@tornado.texas.rr.com:

"itoldyouiamnotiamnotgeorge"
wrote in message ...
Frank Gilliland wrote in
:

On 25 Apr 2005 19:48:48 -0700, "Cliff" wrote
in . com:

If a CB radio is legal on wattage out, he doesn't have to clean up
that image on any of older TV models. Older TV models are horrific

in
picking up 'legal transmissions' The TV/computer owner wil need to
put some filters inline to take care of the problem if the CB is
legal.

Televisions have always had problems with CB radios because the

second
harmonic falls right on channel 2. But that second harmonic is
supposed to be supressed (filtered) to a point where it's effect is
negligible. A stock, unmodified, untweaked radio will usually not
cause interference to a TV unless you mount the antenna right next to
the set.

The problem is the golden screwdrivers and internet techs who tweak &
peak their radios for modulation and/or power without regard to the
resulting increase of harmonics. Even if power is kept to the legal
limit, the modulation limiter can be modified for overmodulation, and
therefore cause a big increase in harmonics. This is why modification
of the radio is illegal. And modification of the radio voids your
authorization to use it, regardless of the RFI suseptibility of a TV.

Now this is the Old Frank that I have come to know and love ... 2

thumbs
up Frank!!!

Awww! Ain't just the sweetest thing you've ever written?

No that i ****ed your ex- old lady was better.

More power to ya, bud!

Old April 28th 05, 08:45 AM
Frank Gilliland

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 09:47:08 -0400, (I
AmnotGeorgeBush) wrote in
:

From: (Frank*Gilliland)
On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 22:20:28 -0400, "BobC" wrote
in :
(How about Constitutional Law? )

How about it? Although it has fallen by the

wayside during the Bush administration, there

is nothing I suggested that would deprive

anyone of their Constitutional rights. I'm not a

court and I don't execute due process. But if I

have good reason to believe that someone is

violating a law then I don't keep my mouth

shut because of some whacko's ultra-literal

interpretation of the Constitution. Due process

is not pre-empted by a presumption of

innocence -- OTOH, due process must be

initiated before it can occur, and reasonable

suspicion is enough to begin that process.

That's the law. If you don't like it, work to

change it. If you don't then quit whining and

learn to live with the system the way it is.

Fwiw, Due Process (according to the Supreme Court) is a difficult thing
to define. It has been said DP is merely the law of the land. The Fifth
and Fourteenth Amendments refer only to federal agency protection with
regards to DP. DP is basically how and why laws are enforced, and
questions "Is the law fair?" as in "does a law presume guilt?" The end
result is the law (as it applies to all persons) must be clear and
concise and it absolutely MUST have a presumption of innocence to comply
with Due Process.

I think the disagreement is with how "presumed innocent" is applied.
The phrase simply means that the accused must be aquitted unless guilt
can be proven. It does not prohibit any presumption of guilt by the
accuser, the victim, the press, the public, or anyone else except the
judge/jury; i.e, presumption of innocence applies only to those that
are charged with making the -determination- of guilt or innocence.

Now as for "due process".....

According to the 1855 Supreme Court opinion to which you referred,
"due process of law" applies to any law that is (1) not otherwise
unconstitutional, and (2) consistent with "those settled usages and
modes of proceeding existing in the common and statute law..."

For an example of the first condition, Bush's Patriot Act is a direct
violation of "due process of law" because it infringes on the right to
a fair and speedy trial, the right to contest all accusatory evidence,
the right to an attorney, presumption of innocence, etc, etc..... it's
a quite a long list. Therefore, the Act is unconstitutional under the
Fifth Amendment because it's unconstitutional in other respects. It's
kind of a double-whammy.

As for the second condition, Bush's Patriot Act is a voyage into
uncharted legal waters. He fabricated new laws that have no foundation
in common or statutory law. And while the Act itself is statutory,
most of its laws are unprecedented; i.e, they are not derived from
"settled usages and modes of proceeding". Bush's Patriot Act is, once
again, in violation of the Fifth Amendment because it contains laws
that are not based on any legal precedent.

In fact, the passing of the Act by Congress was itself a violation of
the Fifth Amdendment because it was done in direct contradiction to
the Supreme Court's interpretation of the Amendment: "It is manifest
that it was not left to the legislative power to enact any process
which might be devised. The article is a restraint on the legislative
as well as on the executive and judicial powers of the government, and
cannot be so construed as to leave Congress free to make any process
'due process of law,' by its mere will."

Ok, that was way off topic, but you get the drift.

Old April 28th 05, 09:10 AM
Frank Gilliland

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 10:22:40 -0500, "Chad Wahls"
wrote in :

snip
Most often, even wahat you consider "high end" cards do not have the audio
sheild grounded properly.

Very good point. Some cards have shield connectors that are DC
isolated from the chassis to prevent ground loops with other audio
equipment. In such cards the shield is coupled to chassis ground with
caps, but line noise can be a problem (and the cap must be shorted)
because the caps may not large enough to fully shunt low frequencies.
But the caps do shunt RF very well, and if they can keep the local AM
broadcast stations out of the soundcard then the neighbor's legal CB
radio shouldn't be a problem.

Old April 28th 05, 03:11 PM
Chad Wahls

wrote in :

snip
Most often, even wahat you consider "high end" cards do not have the audio
sheild grounded properly.

Very good point. Some cards have shield connectors that are DC
isolated from the chassis to prevent ground loops with other audio
equipment. In such cards the shield is coupled to chassis ground with
caps, but line noise can be a problem (and the cap must be shorted)
because the caps may not large enough to fully shunt low frequencies.
But the caps do shunt RF very well, and if they can keep the local AM
broadcast stations out of the soundcard then the neighbor's legal CB
radio shouldn't be a problem.

Problem is that they don't do all that well with AM Broadcast. When I was a
conglomo radio engineer we had a 50K FM and a 500W AM in a residential area.
I would get complaints-o-plenty of the AM coming thru computer speakers,
cheapo HT systems and phones. Of course we had to do what we could to
eliminate the problem and usually I would pull the sound card, DC ground it
with 1 ohm 1/4W resistors and the problem went away. 90% of my problems
called in were ratified with proper grounding. Fortunately most of the
construction in the area is newer as that tower used to be outside city
limits but due to urban sprawl it is no longer.

As for my personal soundcards I use pro models with a separate breakout box
that's balanced. The other card in that computer and other computers in the
house are SB audigy models with the mini jacks removed and XLR whips out in
their place. This whip then goes to a breakout box with 6 Jensen
transformers in it 4 for output and 2 for input. The mic input is shorted
down permanently. I have zero noise problems, if you have an Audigy card it
does sound good! You just have to help it out

The transformers....... When radio engineering and upgrading EAS systems in
all the stations I found that all the old receivers that we were throwing
out were loaded with Jensen transformers! What a salvage find!!!!! I had
many-o-dumpster diving missions, then adopted a Chad's gotta pilfer it pile.
Lots of transformers and power supplies were gutted

Chad

Old April 28th 05, 04:27 PM
I AmnotGeorgeBush

Yep, I do get the drift. Beautifully illustrated with a great analogy.
You ought write that up in a neat letter to your local editor concerning
the (un)Patriot Act,,or even a national editor.

Old April 28th 05, 08:31 PM
Frank Gilliland

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 09:11:08 -0500, "Chad Wahls"
wrote in :

.. .
wrote in :

[...]

Sounds like we had similar jobs -- do the daily checks, fill out the
daily reports, then spend the rest of the day making cables, cleaning
cart machines and waiting for something to break?

Of course we had to do what we could to
eliminate the problem and usually I would pull the sound card, DC ground it
with 1 ohm 1/4W resistors and the problem went away. 90% of my problems
called in were ratified with proper grounding. Fortunately most of the
construction in the area is newer as that tower used to be outside city
limits but due to urban sprawl it is no longer.

As for my personal soundcards I use pro models with a separate breakout box
that's balanced. The other card in that computer and other computers in the
house are SB audigy models with the mini jacks removed and XLR whips out in
their place. This whip then goes to a breakout box with 6 Jensen
transformers in it 4 for output and 2 for input. The mic input is shorted
down permanently. I have zero noise problems, if you have an Audigy card it
does sound good! You just have to help it out

I use the Extigy -- it's great because you can locate the box some
distance away from the noisy computer and ground it directly to the
mixer.

But for complaints to the station, I got them to order a huge box of
4" jumpers that have pigtails to the shield. Just plug them into the
soundcard (or whatever audio equipment is getting the interference),
screw the pigtail to the chassis, and 'presto' -- problem solved. No
invasive surgery, and you're out of the house in a matter of minutes.

The transformers....... When radio engineering and upgrading EAS systems in
all the stations I found that all the old receivers that we were throwing
out were loaded with Jensen transformers! What a salvage find!!!!!

No kidding!

I had
many-o-dumpster diving missions, then adopted a Chad's gotta pilfer it pile.
Lots of transformers and power supplies were gutted

Those old Bogen and Rauland paging amps have some pretty sweet
transformers, too. One of these days we gotta exchange inventory lists
of our scrounge bins.

Old April 29th 05, 03:22 AM
Cliff

FRANK, U B CORRECT ON THIS.

Old April 29th 05, 07:15 AM
Peter

"Steveo" wrote...
Vinnie S. wrote:

Here is something I learned. My 2M/440 handheld sets
off my paper shredder when it is within 3 feet.

I hope your parakeet doesn't land on it
as you key up.

What's for breakfast...

Shredded Tweet :~)

Regards,

Peter
http://www.citizensband.radiouk.com/

Old April 29th 05, 12:24 PM
Steveo

"Peter" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote...
Vinnie S. wrote:

Here is something I learned. My 2M/440 handheld sets
off my paper shredder when it is within 3 feet.

I hope your parakeet doesn't land on it
as you key up.

What's for breakfast...

Shredded Tweet :~)

Regards,

Peter
http://www.citizensband.radiouk.com/

OH! please tip your waitress, he'll be here all week!