Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #31   Report Post  
Old October 17th 05, 09:05 AM
 
Posts: n/a
Default Morse is...

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 01:52:52 GMT, "Wayne P. Muckleroy"
wrote:

antiquated. It was developed during a time when it was considered a miracle
that we could string wire sets for thousands of miles and (slowly)
communicate with a series of "clicks." Then the miracle of spark generators
were invented and we were really advanced because we could lose the wire
sets and communicate across the big pond.

I tend to be practical when it comes to technology. I realize the importance
of amateur radio or else I would not be spending my time in here. However,
if I need to order a pizza on my way home from work, I don't pull out my HT
and patch into the local pizzeria. I use my cell phone of course.

But, during a time of power failure or disastrous periods, obviously, the
cell will not function. So then, I would use a portable method of
communication. This does not mean I would automatically pull out my key and
start sending Morse. Most likely, I would attempt verbal contact via an HF
mode. If bandwidth is limited, I'm sure I could find other modes to use that
are almost as efficient as Morse. If all else fails, I could hook up my
lap-top, and let it do all the work--sending and receiving Morse. If on the
off chance my lap-top is dead, I could resort to manual Morse at 5 wpm. In
which case, I still don't need the stupid Morse learning software to get me
to 20, 40, 60 wpm.

I have much more important things to do with my time than practice this dead
language.


And I have much more important things to do than listen to
your whining that others may enjoy something you don't enjoy. If
you're so unhappy with morse, **** off and let those who care talk
about it or learn it. None of your goddamnes business anyway.

Do you go out on the street and bitch at peole who drive a
different make of car from yours?


Wayne-
(KC8UIO)

co
communicatio
"Has" wrote in message
...

"Sigurd Stenersen" wrote in message
...
Wayne P. Muckleroy wrote:
"Sigurd Stenersen" wrote in message
I decided to make a contribution to the continued use of Morse code,
and have created a computer program that makes it easy to learn the
code. The program can be downloaded from
http://justlearnmorsecode.com If you like the program, please make the
URL known to the members of
your club and anybody else that might be interested.

Also, comments and suggestions are very welcome.

Morse is dead...hang it up!

I don't know your reasoning for making a statement like that, but no
matter what it is it applies to ham radio in general. What do you need
ham radio for in the first place ? A cell phone is all you need to talk
to anybody, anywhere, anytime.

So what are you doing here on the ham radio newsgroups in the first place
?



Indeed.

-has




  #32   Report Post  
Old October 17th 05, 09:06 AM
 
Posts: n/a
Default Morse is...

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 04:06:49 +0200, "Sigurd Stenersen"
wrote:

Wayne P. Muckleroy wrote:
antiquated. It was developed during a time when it was considered a
miracle that we could string wire sets for thousands of miles and
(slowly) communicate with a series of "clicks." Then the miracle of
spark generators were invented and we were really advanced because we
could lose the wire sets and communicate across the big pond.

I tend to be practical when it comes to technology. I realize the
importance of amateur radio or else I would not be spending my time
in here. However, if I need to order a pizza on my way home from
work, I don't pull out my HT and patch into the local pizzeria. I use
my cell phone of course.
But, during a time of power failure or disastrous periods, obviously,
the cell will not function. So then, I would use a portable method of
communication. This does not mean I would automatically pull out my
key and start sending Morse. Most likely, I would attempt verbal
contact via an HF mode. If bandwidth is limited, I'm sure I could
find other modes to use that are almost as efficient as Morse. If all
else fails, I could hook up my lap-top, and let it do all the
work--sending and receiving Morse. If on the off chance my lap-top is
dead, I could resort to manual Morse at 5 wpm. In which case, I still
don't need the stupid Morse learning software to get me to 20, 40, 60
wpm.
I have much more important things to do with my time than practice
this dead language.

Wayne-
(KC8UIO)


Wayne, I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but you really are an
idiot.

Now go order yourself a pizza with your HF voice rig or something. You're
clearly a very efficient guy, so why waste your time arguing about a
technology that you don't want to spend any time on ?



Better yet, crawl to the pizza shop and order it in person.
It'll keep you off usenet for a couple of hours.

73 de LB3KB, Sigurd


  #33   Report Post  
Old October 17th 05, 09:09 AM
 
Posts: n/a
Default Morse is...

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 20:03:37 GMT, "Falky foo"
wrote:

very true. the only time you would NEED code would be in EXTREMELY bad
situations -- ie, the world as we know it is gone gone gone. Otherwise
it's truly an anachronism. I suppose it's good to have folks who know it
just in case of some major MAJOR catastrophe; and there are some people who
enjoy learning Latin too, a fairly useless language.


Studying Latin has done more for my English composition than
any English class I ever took. Your characterization is baseless.

So good-on-em if
that's their thing.


  #34   Report Post  
Old October 17th 05, 09:11 AM
 
Posts: n/a
Default Thanks...

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 09:06:11 GMT, "Wayne P. Muckleroy"
wrote:

...for calling me an idiot and then wishing me 73. Somehow, I doubt your
sincerity.

Don't worry...I have not wasted any time on code. The only time I spent on
code was the two weeks I needed to get to 5 wpm. This was to pass the code
element in the States.

My sincere thanks to Samuel and Guglielmo for their contributions to
communication technology. Thank God that their pioneering efforts have lead
the way to much more! Goodbye clicks, dots, and dashes. Hello ones and
zeros.


Typical binary thinker -- there only two ways -- his and the
wrong ways. Narrow-minded POS.


Wayne-
(KC8UIO)

"Sigurd Stenersen" wrote in message
...
Wayne P. Muckleroy wrote:
antiquated. It was developed during a time when it was considered a
miracle that we could string wire sets for thousands of miles and
(slowly) communicate with a series of "clicks." Then the miracle of
spark generators were invented and we were really advanced because we
could lose the wire sets and communicate across the big pond.

I tend to be practical when it comes to technology. I realize the
importance of amateur radio or else I would not be spending my time
in here. However, if I need to order a pizza on my way home from
work, I don't pull out my HT and patch into the local pizzeria. I use
my cell phone of course.
But, during a time of power failure or disastrous periods, obviously,
the cell will not function. So then, I would use a portable method of
communication. This does not mean I would automatically pull out my
key and start sending Morse. Most likely, I would attempt verbal
contact via an HF mode. If bandwidth is limited, I'm sure I could
find other modes to use that are almost as efficient as Morse. If all
else fails, I could hook up my lap-top, and let it do all the
work--sending and receiving Morse. If on the off chance my lap-top is
dead, I could resort to manual Morse at 5 wpm. In which case, I still
don't need the stupid Morse learning software to get me to 20, 40, 60
wpm.
I have much more important things to do with my time than practice
this dead language.

Wayne-
(KC8UIO)


Wayne, I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but you really are an
idiot.

Now go order yourself a pizza with your HF voice rig or something. You're
clearly a very efficient guy, so why waste your time arguing about a
technology that you don't want to spend any time on ?


73 de LB3KB, Sigurd



  #35   Report Post  
Old October 17th 05, 12:42 PM
Amos Keag
 
Posts: n/a
Default Morse is...

Has wrote:

"Wayne P. Muckleroy" wrote in message
. ..

antiquated. SNIPPED


But, it [Morse Code] is a great way to work those DX-peditions with only
100 watts and a dipole.



  #36   Report Post  
Old October 17th 05, 05:07 PM
Mike Andrews
 
Posts: n/a
Default Morse code learning software

In rec.radio.amateur.dx wrote:
On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 19:22:22 +0200, "Sigurd Stenersen"
wrote:


I decided to make a contribution to the continued use of Morse code, and
have created a computer program that makes it easy to learn the code. The
program can be downloaded from
http://justlearnmorsecode.com

If you like the program, please make the URL known to the members of your
club and anybody else that might be interested.

Also, comments and suggestions are very welcome.


73 de LB3KB, Sigurd


SWEET and XP Likes it.
Very professionally done.
I used to have cassettes each with one method, one ARRL and
one from, I think CQ magazine. long gone.
I've been on 10 metres so long I can't recognise my own callsign
your software will help change that.
Thank you so very much
Ed
73 de KA9AHQ/7


And a big "What He Said" from me, too. That's a really pretty piece of
code, Sigurd, and I very much appreciate you making it available to
us.

I've been teaching a Morse class to folks in the local club using
G4FON's Koch program, and that's usable, but it appears to have some
issues with character spacing. Yours, on the other hand, gets the
character spacing right.

Thanks very much indeed, es 73 de

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO

Tired old sysadmin
  #37   Report Post  
Old October 17th 05, 08:28 PM
Falky foo
 
Posts: n/a
Default Morse is...

Oh, I don't think your little example makes my characterization "baseless."
But it does looks as though I tweaked some people by calling their choice of
study a waste of time.

Studying Latin has done more for my English composition than
any English class I ever took. Your characterization is baseless.



  #38   Report Post  
Old October 17th 05, 08:54 PM
an_old_friend
 
Posts: n/a
Default Morse code learning software

Sigurd Stenersen wrote:
Wayne P. Muckleroy wrote:
"Sigurd Stenersen" wrote in message
I decided to make a contribution to the continued use of Morse code,
and have created a computer program that makes it easy to learn the
code. The program can be downloaded from
http://justlearnmorsecode.com If you like the program, please make the
URL known to the members of
your club and anybody else that might be interested.

Also, comments and suggestions are very welcome.

Morse is dead...hang it up!


I don't know your reasoning for making a statement like that, but no matter
what it is it applies to ham radio in general. What do you need ham radio
for in the first place ? A cell phone is all you need to talk to anybody,
anywhere, anytime.


Morse is more properly moribund but Morse is not the the whole of Ham
radio

So what are you doing here on the ham radio newsgroups in the first place ?


73 de LB3KB, Sigurd


  #39   Report Post  
Old October 17th 05, 08:54 PM
an_old_friend
 
Posts: n/a
Default Morse is...

Falky foo wrote:
very true. the only time you would NEED code would be in EXTREMELY bad
situations -- ie, the world as we know it is gone gone gone. Otherwise
it's truly an anachronism. I suppose it's good to have folks who know it
just in case of some major MAJOR catastrophe; and there are some people who
enjoy learning Latin too, a fairly useless language. So good-on-em if
that's their thing.


I have read this suggestion over the year and always aks just what good
that Morse Coded CW is going to do if things ever went that far to hell
(if morse were needed as opposed to just being useful for hobby
proposes that is)

I never get an answer to just what good Morse code would be in this
doomday world.

the best answer I have seen to that is the unlikely "Independance day"
senario

  #40   Report Post  
Old October 17th 05, 09:46 PM
Sigurd Stenersen
 
Posts: n/a
Default Morse code learning software

an_old_friend wrote:
Sigurd Stenersen wrote:
Wayne P. Muckleroy wrote:
Morse is dead...hang it up!


I don't know your reasoning for making a statement like that, but no
matter what it is it applies to ham radio in general. What do you
need ham radio for in the first place ? A cell phone is all you
need to talk to anybody, anywhere, anytime.


Morse is more properly moribund but Morse is not the the whole of Ham
radio


Yes... And... So ?


--
73 de LB3KB, Sigurd
http://justlearnmorsecode.com




Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lest We Forget [email protected] Policy 151 April 24th 05 09:45 PM
Computer-Read Morse (Was Morse Code Binary?) Len Anderson Policy 1 February 7th 05 08:18 AM
Morse code 'alive and well' Mike Terry Shortwave 4 October 23rd 04 03:04 AM
Response to "21st Century" Part One (Code Test) N2EY Policy 6 December 2nd 03 04:45 AM
Tech Licensee USA Morse Code Freedom Day is August 1st Bill Sohl CB 8 July 30th 03 12:04 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 RadioBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Radio"

 

Copyright © 2017