Old December 11th 06, 02:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default FRS Radioes question

I bought 2 of these tiny little FRS radioes so could keep in touch
with wife when she takes her daily walks. I called the FCC
and asked them if any kind of license is required to use thses.
They said certain chnls do require FCC license which costs $75 for
a 1 year period. Chnls 1 thru 7 need this license also the
higher chnls I believe was 16 to 20 also require FCC license.
The others do not require any license or ID when used.
So I set both hers and mine to chnl 12 (frs free useage chnl).
These free chnls per docs have a range of up to 7 miles. The
FCC licensed chnls with same unit have a range up to 14 miles.
When my wife was trying to reach me from a shopping center about
10 miles away she did find a spot that worked. But next time
we tried I Could'nt hear her well only a sylable or 2.
She says after she tried 4 or 5 times, some one came up and
said this is the "POLICE" do you need help!!! How in the heck
does FCC get into the picture or better yet how does the FCC
even monitor these FRS chnls. I thought they only monitor 911.
Joe

************************************************** ************************
* Ham since 1937 HiSchool Sophomore ex W9ZUU, KP4EX, W4FAG, KH6ARG KH6JF *
* WW2 Vet since Sep 1940 to just After VJ day. US Signal Corps AACS *
************************************************** ************************

Old December 11th 06, 03:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

If the radios are plainly marked FRS on the model plate, they can be
used on any of the frequencies without a license. If they are GMRS
models, you need the license ($75) due to higher power. If they are
GMR/FRS models you "may" not need license if the radios are used on FRS
channels "and" the power is rerstricted to 1/2 watt ERP (About 2 watts
output). I suspect yours are of the GMRS/FRS variety.

The range claims of the manufacturers are BOGUS. If they work for many
blocks in an urban environment and about 2 miles over flat terrain, you
are getting your moneys worth.

As far as the "POLICE". 1) If you are in Canada there is some overlap
with GMRS and police on a couple of 25KHz spaced channels channels. 2)
In the US some police departments installed GMRS base stations in past
and even so with an FRS radio or properly licenses GMRS radio, you are
free to use the channel, however. 3) You might want to change channels
to avoid a dispute, simply because they have guns and hancuffs. 4) If
your radio can operate on a GMRS repeater (transmit +5 MHz), you need an
FCC license AND permission of the repeater operator to use their repeater.

What model do you have?

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Follow The Money" ;-P

Old December 11th 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

I think there is some confusion between FRS Radios and GMRS Radios and some
units cover both.

First read about FRS Radio From The FCC
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/ind...home&id=family

Then read about GMRS Radios From The FCC
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/ind...general_mobile

Then read about the dual service radios
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/ind...general_mobile

Hope this helps
CL

va.net...

Old December 11th 06, 04:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Ed Ed is offline

Both Joseph Fenn, and CL responded with good information. That
leaves me with nothing to add, except that so-called response from the
"Police" was highly likely to be some jerk out there listening in with
his own FRS radio. Just change channels to avoid such types.

Ed K7AAT

PS: J. Fenn, pretty nice credentials you have..... !

**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY** wrote in
:

****

Old December 11th 06, 05:05 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

In article et,
Joseph Fenn wrote:

I bought 2 of these tiny little FRS radioes so could keep in touch
with wife when she takes her daily walks. I called the FCC
and asked them if any kind of license is required to use thses.
They said certain chnls do require FCC license which costs $75 for
a 1 year period. Chnls 1 thru 7 need this license also the
higher chnls I believe was 16 to 20 also require FCC license.
The others do not require any license or ID when used.
So I set both hers and mine to chnl 12 (frs free useage chnl).
These free chnls per docs have a range of up to 7 miles. The
FCC licensed chnls with same unit have a range up to 14 miles.

Sure... if you're up at 3000 feet on a mountaintop, with a clear view
to the mountaintop on which the other person is standing :-)

More commonly, in a city or in the woods, FRS radios will work
tolerably well for a quarter-mile or so, often to half a mile. Beyond
that, they're marginal to useless.

If you have a GMRS (license-required) radio, which actually puts out a
full 5 watts or so on the GMRS channels (and *very* few of the
dual-mode radios do) you might go a couple of miles in city terrain.
Most of the dual-mode radios have no more power on the GMRS
frequencies than on the FRS and shared frequencies.

Claims of 7 - 14 miles for these radios are sheer marketingbabble -
they're incredibly optimistic.

When my wife was trying to reach me from a shopping center about
10 miles away she did find a spot that worked. But next time
we tried I Could'nt hear her well only a sylable or 2.
She says after she tried 4 or 5 times, some one came up and
said this is the "POLICE" do you need help!!! How in the heck
does FCC get into the picture or better yet how does the FCC
even monitor these FRS chnls. I thought they only monitor 911.

The FCC itself almost certainly was not monitoring.

It might have been the police. Or, it might have been someone from a
community emergency preparedness group (CERT, or perhaps REACT) who
was monitoring and who was willing to call the police on your wife's
behalf. Might even have been an off-duty policeman who keeps an FRS
radio around to speak with her husband :-)

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Old December 11th 06, 08:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

This FRS set came in a 2 unit package on sale for 29.95 for 2 of em.
And the instructions were explicit. I called the FCC at Washn
just to find out which chnls were restricted to fcc license and
which were not. 1 thru 7 do require FCC license for useage
and cost is $75. 8 thru 14 If I remember correctily were free use
no license required. 15 and up were also restricted to FCC
licensing. I parked on 12 and have been useing it with no
no problems as long as range did'nt exceed about 10 miles.
Instructions said limit was 7 miles coverage for the free chnls.
For the FCC chnls the range is 14 miles and the ouput power is
more than the free ones. My wife even on chnl-12 was calling
me but could'nt reach me from about12 miles away, but lo and behold
the Police answered her and asked if she was in trouble. I had no
idea the 911 people scanned those freqs too, but apparently they
do. Thats a plus far as I can see.
Joe Fenn

************************************************** ************************

Old December 11th 06, 11:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"Joseph Fenn" wrote in message
va.net...
This FRS set came in a 2 unit package on sale for 29.95 for 2 of em.
And the instructions were explicit. I called the FCC at Washn
just to find out which chnls were restricted to fcc license and
which were not. 1 thru 7 do require FCC license for useage
and cost is $75. 8 thru 14 If I remember correctily were free use
no license required. 15 and up were also restricted to FCC
licensing. I parked on 12 and have been useing it with no
no problems as long as range did'nt exceed about 10 miles.
Instructions said limit was 7 miles coverage for the free chnls.

The "limit" has nothing to do with whether it is free or licensed. It is
strictly a function of physics, terrain, and power level. If you actually
get 7 miles or more, you are incredibly lucky. Under normal conditions, one
mile is more like it.

For the FCC chnls the range is 14 miles and the ouput power is
more than the free ones.

As stated above, the range doesn't depend on whether they require a license
or not. Since more power is allowed on the GMRS channels, they will have a
slightly greater range. Still though, unless there is a GMRS repeater
(relay station) around, the nomal range is well below the touted 14 miles.

My wife even on chnl-12 was calling
me but could'nt reach me from about12 miles away, but lo and behold
the Police answered her and asked if she was in trouble. I had no
idea the 911 people scanned those freqs too, but apparently they
do. Thats a plus far as I can see.
Joe Fenn

Dee, N8UZE

Old December 11th 06, 11:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

What model do you have?

Joseph Fenn wrote:

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Follow The Money" ;-P

Joe says again,
I bought them (2) in a plastic pack on sale at radio shack
2 weeks ago and they said FRS. $29.95 on their big sale day
last week Saturday. I read the data sheet that came with them
and the ranges quoted are (for the free chnls) 7 miles. Chnls 1 to 7.
and think chnls 15 on up are FCC license required. Fpr the Licensed
chnls the range is 14 miles. I chose 12 and locked both units
to 12 which is free useage. I still wonder how the 911 crew
at Hawaiian Telcom got into the act but they did. So must be
they monitor even the license free chnls. I can understand if
they somehow have a scanner working on the licensed chnls thats
a good idea for sure. You got the ranges wrong. Its
7 and 14. I live on a hill and my wife did find a hot spot at
the huge Ala Moana center and we carried on a conversation for
a few minutes then quit. Thats over 10 miles from home.
Joe

Old December 12th 06, 12:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Joe says again. I did call the FCC before useing them. She
specifically stated the chnls 1-7 required the $75 dollar license!!!!
The free Chnl I was useing was chnl 12. The ranges you quoted
are not same as the specs. Free chnls range 7 miles. FCC licensed
chnls are double that 14 miles. I was able to get thru to the wife
on chnl 12 which is a free chnl although spotty. She had to roam
around on 3rd deck of the shopping center till found a spot and
we proceeded loud and clear long as she remained there. I live
on a Hill and can see the entire coast of leeward Oahu from
Diamond Head to Barbers Pt. Thats why I was able to get thru with
7 watts (as quoted in the specs). The radio itself does'nt say
anyting about GMRS but does mention chnls 1-7 require FCC license.
How the Police 911 crew managed to hear the wife I dont know.
They came on and said this the Police (she got scared and ceased
any further transmissions). Thats was on chnl 12 as I said
a no licnse required chnl.
Joe

************************************************** ************************

Old December 12th 06, 12:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Thanks Ed,
I had'nt thoght of that but by golly your likely right on snoopers
trying to get into the act! I'll tell the wife next time she hears
"this is the police" to reply "up yours"!!!!
Joe

Joseph Fenn wrote:

[...]

A QRZ Trivia Question That Smegma Radio May Find Educational Slow Code Antenna 1 December 12th 06 07:18 PM
A QRZ Trivia Question That Smegma Radio May Find Educational Slow Code Homebrew 1 December 12th 06 07:18 PM
A QRZ Trivia Question That Smegma Radio May Find Educational Slow Code General 1 December 12th 06 07:18 PM
New odd question jawod Antenna 5 September 11th 06 06:02 PM
transmitter question - its a dousy duckman Homebrew 0 December 8th 03 11:51 PM