Old August 22nd 07, 07:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default icom 706 powering itself on and off

I have an ICOM 706 that is powering itself on an off. I recall
reading about this issue in the past but I neither recall the cause or
the correct terms to find it.

Does anyonehave any insight in this issue?

Keith
N3HGN

Old August 26th 07, 06:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"Fred McKenzie" wrote in message
In article . com,
wrote:

I have an ICOM 706 that is powering itself on an off. I recall
reading about this issue in the past but I neither recall the cause or
the correct terms to find it.

Keith-

What are the circumstances when this occurs? As Pat suggested, the
IC-706 is voltage sensitive, and may temporarily go dark when you start
your car. However, it should immediately come back to life after full
voltage is restored. Otherwise, you could have a DC wiring problem.

I have a 706mkIIg and it does the same thing. It would cut off and on on
receive and also transmitt. About 2 years ago it was doing that and it
finaly did not power back on. I sent it off and several things were
replaced. It worked fine after that for over a year. It is now powering
off and back on about once or twice a day.

It is not a power issue as it is in the house and is being fed from an
Astron 50 amp supply. The supply is working fine as I also have 746 pro
hooked to the same supply. The voltage out is around the nominal 13.8
volts. I have checked the connections to the 706 and the connector on the
back of the rig and could not find any problems. It will put out around 100
watts on the lower bands so I doubt there is a power supply problem with it.

Old September 13th 07, 02:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have an ICOM 706 that is powering itself on an off. I recall
reading about this issue in the past but I neither recall the cause or
the correct terms to find it.

Does anyonehave any insight in this issue?

Keith
N3HGN

Ken,

Low voltage

RF in the "shack".

Two known issues with this radio. If the radio is remoted, check to see
that the little screw that fastens the remote cable is secured to the body
of the radio. This is VERY important! Make sure it is TIGHT. This will
shut the radio off as RF will get into it via the non-shielded cable
(without the little screw) if the screw is omitted or loose.

73

Jerry
K4KWH

Old September 16th 07, 01:43 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 21:33:58 -0400, Jerry wrote:

Two known issues with this radio. If the radio is remoted, check to see
that the little screw that fastens the remote cable is secured to the body
of the radio. This is VERY important! Make sure it is TIGHT. This will
shut the radio off as RF will get into it via the non-shielded cable
(without the little screw) if the screw is omitted or loose.

Hi, Jerry.

I have used my IC-706 mobile in a car, truck, motorcycle, and airplane,
always with the remote and cable, and have never yet used the screw to
hold it in. Never had a problem.

It will shut itself off due to low voltage, though. Had that happen many
times when using it in the shack on an AGM battery.