Old September 22nd 04, 09:11 AM
Andrew VK3BFA

"NO SPAM" wrote in message . verio.net...
"Andrew VK3BFA" wrote in message
om...
(Dave Platt) wrote in message

Duh! - pull it off the wall and have a look is a good place to start.
Andrew VK3BFA

Not always - are those things "visible". I agree with the gentleman's
thought of a GFIC being tripped or influenced somehow with RF. RF does
strange things and if you're not an old hand at it, it can be very
confusing - even with experience, it can create some confusion! Move the
antenna to another spot in the room or house away from outlets, etc. While
you may not hit the same repeaters, you can at least eliminate the RF as the
problem of the buzzing at that outlet. On the other hand, it is possible
too, that if the GFIC wasn't bad to start with, an RF Overload "could" have
created a problem - depending on the make up on that particular unit.
They're not that expensive to replace, if you know how to do one. While I
don't think it a high probability of the RF doing damage to it, I wouldn't
dismiss the thought completely. I've seen and I'm sure others have as well,
things in our electronics dealings which go beyond theory and explanation at
times. It is never good to "assume" anything when dealing with the unknown.
Eliminate all possibilities until the situation is cured.
NS

Agreed - so isnt the simplest, least most blatantly obvious thing to
do is physically examine the offending object.

Andrew VK3BFA

Old September 22nd 04, 02:06 PM
moth .

Thank you, everyone for helping me. The handyman just came up. I could
have sworn I tried this with nothing plugged in but the hair dryer seems
to have been the problem. There's a reset button which was off (when you
turned the dryer on, it stops it from working),

When this button is off, the socket buzzes when I key the HT. When the
button is reset, no buzzing. We tried it in another kitchen outlet and
it did the same thing. So it's not the outlet that needs fixing. What's
happening technically is beyond me. If anyone understands this, I'd
appreciate an explanation. I am wondering how much of this may be due to
old coax. I'm careful to not crush it...the window is never tight, I
always leave a space.

Old September 22nd 04, 11:00 PM
NO SPAM

(Dave Platt) wrote in message

[...]

NO, because parts which are being activated by RF won't show signs of
anything outward, such as being blown. Things are not always OBVIOUS.
There is nothing stopping one from looking, but RF induced troubles are
virtually invisible until you figure out HOW the RF is doing it's magic.
NS

Old September 22nd 04, 11:02 PM
NO SPAM

"moth ." wrote in message
Thank you, everyone for helping me. The handyman just came up. I could
have sworn I tried this with nothing plugged in but the hair dryer seems
to have been the problem. There's a reset button which was off (when you
turned the dryer on, it stops it from working),

When this button is off, the socket buzzes when I key the HT. When the
button is reset, no buzzing. We tried it in another kitchen outlet and
it did the same thing. So it's not the outlet that needs fixing. What's
happening technically is beyond me. If anyone understands this, I'd
appreciate an explanation. I am wondering how much of this may be due to
old coax. I'm careful to not crush it...the window is never tight, I
always leave a space.

Your coax does NOT have to be broken, to create RF troubles. When you
transmit, the signal from your antenna is getting into the circuit which
most likely isn't shielded against such things, and is playing havoc with
it. THAT HAPPENS....... RF does strange things.......

NS

Old September 22nd 04, 11:02 PM
NO SPAM

"moth ." wrote in message
[...]

Strange Radio Event - 22/24 October 2004 IZ7AUH Francesco GIACOIA Dx 0 September 10th 04 09:12 AM
Strange Radio Event - 22/24 October 2004 IZ7AUH Francesco GIACOIA Dx 0 September 10th 04 09:12 AM
TS-940 strange problem Don Equipment 4 February 12th 04 03:12 AM
TS-940 strange problem Don Equipment 0 February 9th 04 06:01 PM
National NCX-5 transmit/receive offset problem Chris Equipment 2 July 19th 03 02:57 AM