Old September 22nd 04, 11:02 PM
NO SPAM

"moth ." wrote in message
Thank you, everyone for helping me. The handyman just came up. I could
have sworn I tried this with nothing plugged in but the hair dryer seems
to have been the problem. There's a reset button which was off (when you
turned the dryer on, it stops it from working),

When this button is off, the socket buzzes when I key the HT. When the
button is reset, no buzzing. We tried it in another kitchen outlet and
it did the same thing. So it's not the outlet that needs fixing. What's
happening technically is beyond me. If anyone understands this, I'd
appreciate an explanation. I am wondering how much of this may be due to
old coax. I'm careful to not crush it...the window is never tight, I
always leave a space.

Your coax does NOT have to be broken, to create RF troubles. When you
transmit, the signal from your antenna is getting into the circuit which
most likely isn't shielded against such things, and is playing havoc with
it. THAT HAPPENS....... RF does strange things.......

NS

Old September 23rd 04, 01:23 PM
Andrew VK3BFA

"NO SPAM" wrote in message n
Well, I know the "Fault" was found in this case... Now, why did it buzz? Do
you really think anything is going to jump out and say - here I am? I doubt
it.
RF with anything in electronics, needs "Experience". THAT keeps you from
wasting lots of time guessing. You get a feel for the problem, a sense of
direction and follow the leads. People who GUESS and waste time doing so,
ARE NOT EXPERIENCED.

Back to the fault, not having it here to visualize, I can't say for certain,
but I'd bet a lack of shielding had a major role in it. The "'triggering"
circuit most likely was being affected, somehow. RF doesn't always have to
make sense. But if you narrow down the parts affected and know that RF was
the cause, then you can work towards a cure to keep it from happening again.

NS

Nah, your talking total crap! - confused by trying to do this by
remote control and getting lost in your own brilliance..... Experience
is the name for seeing the same fault before, a feel for the problem
is making a link to something similar.
But I can guarrantee my method would have werked - why, because I
would have checked it was the socket and not something else attatched
to it that was buzzing. - as the home handyman did - perhaps he is an
experienced electronics engineer like you suggest who called upon his
"experience" or maybe he just looked for the blatantly obvious!
And if a $10 hairdryer is suffering RFI - big deal, dump it in the
bin, or press the reset button. No complex theory involved here sonny.
Have you had 20 years experience, or the same year 20 times
over.......

Andrew VK3BFA

Old September 23rd 04, 04:03 PM
moth .

Just to add to this, I plugged in the toaster, the microwave oven and
several other appliances and the only thing that caused the socket to
buzz when I key the HT is the hair dryer which is on OFF (but not
reset). When I pushed the reset button with the hair dryer still off,
the socket didn't buzz. I would like to understand exactly what
internally in the socket is causing that buzz which is extremely loud.
Does anyone know? Thanks for your responses to my thread.

Old September 23rd 04, 04:07 PM
NO SPAM

"Andrew VK3BFA" wrote in message
om...
"NO SPAM" wrote in message n
[...]

WHATEVER...... The man got the problem cured for the most part, I don't have
time to argue all the aspects of RF interference. Read a damned book.

NS

Old September 23rd 04, 04:07 PM
NO SPAM

"NO SPAM" wrote in message n
[...]

Strange Radio Event - 22/24 October 2004 IZ7AUH Francesco GIACOIA Dx 0 September 10th 04 09:12 AM
Strange Radio Event - 22/24 October 2004 IZ7AUH Francesco GIACOIA Dx 0 September 10th 04 09:12 AM
TS-940 strange problem Don Equipment 4 February 12th 04 03:12 AM
TS-940 strange problem Don Equipment 0 February 9th 04 06:01 PM
National NCX-5 transmit/receive offset problem Chris Equipment 2 July 19th 03 02:57 AM