Old April 10th 15, 12:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Tape deck?

Insofar as the tape deck is used to record reception of amateur radio,
what's the best approach to repairing tape decks where the nylon-ish
band used for take-up has gone completely squishy (and resulted in
a build-up of tape inside the deck instead of on the take-up spool)?

I wonder if anyone has attempted a long-term solution by using the
miniature timing belts that are available these days?

Old April 10th 15, 01:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 12:37:51 +0100, gareth wrote:

what's the best approach to repairing tape decks where the nylon-ish
band used for take-up has gone completely squishy (and resulted in a
build-up of tape inside the deck instead of on the take-up spool)?

Just do the same as other people, for example, search on eBay for "tape
recorder belt".

Charlie.

--
www.votenationalbird.com/
Old April 10th 15, 03:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Fri, 10 Apr 2015, gareth wrote:

Insofar as the tape deck is used to record reception of amateur radio,
what's the best approach to repairing tape decks where the nylon-ish
band used for take-up has gone completely squishy (and resulted in
a build-up of tape inside the deck instead of on the take-up spool)?

I wonder if anyone has attempted a long-term solution by using the
miniature timing belts that are available these days?

If I was stuck, I'd just pull another tape deck off the pile of garbage.

They are now being tossed out, "nobody wants them", so they are readily
available cheap.

But the only need for keeping such a thing is to play existing tapes.

A computer can record fine. So can an MP3 player.

A few years ago, I came upon a reel to reel tape deck at a garage sale,
only ten dollars. It was a better grade than the language lab type tape
deck. I got all excited, then I realized that no matter how much I wanted
one decades ago, I have no use for it now. The other things are better at
recording, and take up less space. So I couldn't even be bothered
bringing the thing home merely to look at.

The 8track recording deck next to it wsa only five dollars, even less
practical use, though a novelty since 8track recorders were never a big
part of the market, most just wanted players.

If you really want to fix it, look for hints (there must be stuff about
cassette decks) at http://www.repairfaq.org

Michael

Old April 10th 15, 04:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"Charlie" wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 12:37:51 +0100, gareth wrote:

what's the best approach to repairing tape decks where the nylon-ish
band used for take-up has gone completely squishy (and resulted in a
build-up of tape inside the deck instead of on the take-up spool)?

Just do the same as other people, for example, search on eBay for "tape
recorder belt".

But that's £10 a time for a loop of elastic!

Old April 10th 15, 04:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Michael Black" wrote in message
xample.org...
If you really want to fix it, look for hints (there must be stuff about
cassette decks) at http://www.repairfaq.org

The OTHER deck, not part of the shack and therefore OT, was my wife's
18th birthday present, so it has sentimental value, even though it be mono!

Old April 11th 15, 10:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 16:33:15 +0100, gareth wrote:

But that's £10 a time for a loop of elastic!

Sometimes you have to shoulder the pain and dust off the wallet!

Charlie.

--
www.votenationalbird.com/
Old April 11th 15, 06:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Sat, 11 Apr 2015, Charlie wrote:

On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 16:33:15 +0100, gareth wrote:

But that's £10 a time for a loop of elastic!

Sometimes you have to shoulder the pain and dust off the wallet!

When I needed a new turntable belt about five years ago, it cost
me around $8.00, but that was at a local store that I could actually
visit. It did seem expensive, but I spent quite a bit on it in 1978, and
it's been fine ever since, except that belt became too loose. So eight
dollars upkeep on something that old is pretty good.

Michael

Old April 11th 15, 11:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"Michael Black" wrote in message
xample.org...
On Sat, 11 Apr 2015, Charlie wrote:

On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 16:33:15 +0100, gareth wrote:

But that's £10 a time for a loop of elastic!

Sometimes you have to shoulder the pain and dust off the wallet!

When I needed a new turntable belt about five years ago, it cost
me around $8.00, but that was at a local store that I could actually
visit. It did seem expensive, but I spent quite a bit on it in 1978, and
it's been fine ever since, except that belt became too loose. So eight
dollars upkeep on something that old is pretty good.

The ITT mono deck is at least 46 years old, and not identified in the
list of spare belts.

Old April 12th 15, 01:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On 4/11/2015 6:37 PM, gareth wrote:
"Michael Black" wrote in message
xample.org...
On Sat, 11 Apr 2015, Charlie wrote:

On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 16:33:15 +0100, gareth wrote:

But that's £10 a time for a loop of elastic!

Sometimes you have to shoulder the pain and dust off the wallet!

When I needed a new turntable belt about five years ago, it cost
me around $8.00, but that was at a local store that I could actually
visit. It did seem expensive, but I spent quite a bit on it in 1978, and
it's been fine ever since, except that belt became too loose. So eight
dollars upkeep on something that old is pretty good.

The ITT mono deck is at least 46 years old, and not identified in the
list of spare belts.

No surprise there. Do you still use the B&W TV you had in 1970? How
about the car you drove then? Here in the US such an old car would be
considered an antique and registering with "historic" plates means you
can't drive it for every day needs.

People keep their turntables and tape decks running either because they
have a misguided sense of sound quality or they just like keeping
antiques around.

Is there a reason why you don't update to something easier to use and
retain the recording produced? Do you really want to manage the stack
of tapes produced by the ITT deck?

BTW, for the most part, a rubber band is a rubber band. Try some
regular rubber bands tied together for a quick fix if you have to.

--

Rick
Old April 12th 15, 03:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Sat, 11 Apr 2015, gareth wrote:

"Michael Black" wrote in message
xample.org...
On Sat, 11 Apr 2015, Charlie wrote:

On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 16:33:15 +0100, gareth wrote:

But that's ?10 a time for a loop of elastic!

Sometimes you have to shoulder the pain and dust off the wallet!

When I needed a new turntable belt about five years ago, it cost
me around $8.00, but that was at a local store that I could actually
visit. It did seem expensive, but I spent quite a bit on it in 1978, and
it's been fine ever since, except that belt became too loose. So eight
dollars upkeep on something that old is pretty good.

The ITT mono deck is at least 46 years old, and not identified in the
list of spare belts.

You take the existing belt to the store, they don't look for "matching
part number" but for belt that fits. Anyone selling belts at this point
has some idea of how they stretch, so they can find you a belt of the
right length, even though the current belt is likely stretched.

I can't believe this belt is something so out of the ordinary that it has
to be identical to what was put in there in the first place.

Michael