Old April 9th 06, 12:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Joseph Fenn

Default Catalog

Most parts companies don't issue catalogs anymore; you'll need to check
their web site.

Mouser sent me a couple of catalogs, the last probably sometime last
year. When I received no more, I assumed that it was because I hadn't
ordered anything from them. Their catalog is on line, but they don't
have everything: I found stuff in the Newark Electronics catalog that
wasn't in Mouser's.

Then there's DigiKey as well.

It works a whole lot better than folks think.... and you still got the
catalog to look through for your next order :-)

-n6ojn

Steve @ Noon-Air Heating & A/C

Life is what happens while you were making other plans

Well I finally got thru to a Supervisor at MOUSER and told them
I had been promised a catalog a year ago and the noone in Hawaii
had every heard about MOUSER and why did they promise me one and
then never send it. They profuxely appologized to me and
said I would be sent one right away and it weighed x lbs
(I forgot how many lbs). I also told them I dont want any catalogging
done via email.
Joe

Old April 9th 06, 03:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Michael A. Terrell

Noon-Air wrote:

They can probably still be found and prosecuted

I tried to get them to do it, but they have given up.

I was a mechanical engineer... we got to play with things that had moving
parts :-)

I tested out of three years at Ft. Monmoth New Jersey's electronics
school and was awarded my MOS as a civilian acquired skill while I was
in basic training at Ft. Knox, Kentucky. That was the main reason I
didn't re-enlist. I caught a lot of flak from people who didn't like
that I was only in the service a couple months before I was doing the
same work they were, without going to the military school. They got
really ****ed that I could take a quick look at defective equipment and
fix it before they could dig out the manuals and their notebooks. I
even repaired RADAR equipment for a couple weeks while they were short
handed. The RADAR techs were highly ****ed when I told them that I had
read the manuals for a WWII surplus aircraft RADAR system while I was in
high school, and that it wasn't that different from a TV set. Anyone
remember the 15E RF tube and the 15R rectifier? Electronics has always
been easy to me.

Someday I will have to write a book about all of the things we did....and
even some of the stuff we *didn't* get caught doing. LOL

The engineers at Ft Greely insisted that we didn't need any air
conditioning at the TV station, then claimed that we didn't have enough
power for the 208/240 single phase through the wall AC we had bought out
of our budget. It was six feet from a 100 amp three phase breaker box
that was used to power the control room and transmitters. I popped off
the cover to find that some genius had only used one phase, leaving me
100 amps at 208 VAC available to run a 30 amp unit. They still refused
to hook it up, so I called one of the enlisted men who worked in that
section. He rummaged around a few abandoned buildings and brought me
what I needed to hook it up myself. We cooled the TV studio by opening
the back door in the winter time. the -40 degree air did a nice job
cooling the set, till a bear tried to get in one night.

Enlisted men are extremely sly and cunning, and bear considerable watching.
-Army Officers Manual 1836

I worked in the "Weathervision" section at Ft Rucker Alabama, which
included CATV, Educational TV, CARS Microwave and other assorted
equipment. Our mission was to provide weather data to the control
towers, flight ready rooms and classrooms where they taught the
helicopter pilots to fly. We also maintained the entertainment CATV
systems on the base, in parts of the on base housing areas. Some idiot
cut the cable feeding our day room and pulled it to his room in the
barracks. I reported it to the civilian contractor, but three days later
it was still out, so I borrowed one of our bucket trucks from my section
and repaired it at lunch time. I was just finishing up when the guy
showed up. He was rather upset, till he found out that i had not only
repaired it, but I moved the drop to where the moron couldn't reach it
where it ran from the pole to the roof of the three story brick
building. Then he told me that he was the only tech that serviced the
base, and that I could put a drop into my one man room on the second
floor, as long as I hid it for inspections. He offered me the supplies,
but I had enough used stuff in the truck to do the job. The following
Monday afternoon I got back from my duty section to find that the wire
had been pulled loose from the hook outside my window, and run into the
CQ room of the other company. I told them that it was MY drop that they
had stolen. I received an obscene gesture and a threat, so i smiled and
left. A couple hours later when they turned their TV on, I got a really
good grip on the wire from my second floor window and pulled, really
hard. I heard a loud crash, and a lot of cursing. Then they were
pounding on my door, demanding that I give it back, and pay to replace
their TV. It never happened, and I had cable TV till the day I left for
Alaska. ;-)

The sig file is there to be in the face of a moron who has been
stalking me on line for some time, and a couple idiots who don't think
much of the US military, and veterans in general.

I bet he never served.... probably a draft dodger that ran to Canade from
the Peoples Repubic of Berkeley.

He's a mental welfare case. Neither our military, or Canada would
have him.

When I got my draft notice, I was on USCGC Glacier in the Bearing Sea.

BTW, the quarterly memorial for Veterans who have died in marion
County Florida in the past quarter is this morning, but I'm not well
enough to attend.

Hopefully next time you will be able to attend. In any case, I salute you.

Thank you, and you as well. My mission to help local disabled
Veterans is to repair and give away used computers to those who want,
but can't afford a computer a used system that will let them do email
and browse the web. The VA recently upgraded the computers that handle
prescriptions, and those of us under the VA's care can refill their
prescriptions online. http://www.myhealthevet.va.gov/

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old April 9th 06, 04:23 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Joseph Fenn

Default Military and Monmouth

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Speaking along those lines, I was an RO at a WW1 CCC camp in Fla
when I got a msg from Sig Corps at WUO Ft Benning asking me to
come up and sign up with them and they would put me to work
right away. No basic training, or boot camp. I grabbed it
as I knew I could handle the CW up to around 40WPM at the CCC's.
Only problem was I got paid $8 a month and $22 a month went direct
to my Mom. After started at WD Radio in Benning even as a PFC
I was drawing down about $80 a month in 1940. Reason WUO handled
not only the S.C. WD Radio traffic, but also handled all the
Western Union and Postal Telegrph stuff accross the counter
so both W.U. and Postal Tel paid us a commision on top of
our Military Pay. Never went to any S.C. School until about
1944 as we rotated back to the USA on our 85 points system
of overseas duty. They did'nt know what to do with all the
5 and 6 stripe NCO's that were being thrown back to USA,
So they sent us to Camp Crowder S.C. school and taught us
how to be technicians on wide band FM which was just coming
into existance.
Exited at Drew Field in FLA. just after VJ Day
Joe/KH6JF/ABM6JF/KP4EX/W4FAG/W9ZUU

Old April 9th 06, 06:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Noon-Air

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
Noon-Air wrote:

[...]

When I was stationed on west coast WHECs, I tapped into the ships cable
system so I had cable at my rack, and had a little 4 inch TV and little
stereo tucked up in a trap door I cut in the the false overhead over my
rack... it worked great :-)
On the same ship, we had 12 engineers that were licensed HAMs and the CO cot
a bit miffed when he found out that the engineers could copy CW better than
his radiomen could... it was pretty funny. LOL

The sig file is there to be in the face of a moron who has been
stalking me on line for some time, and a couple idiots who don't think
much of the US military, and veterans in general.

I bet he never served.... probably a draft dodger that ran to Canade from
the Peoples Repubic of Berkeley.

He's a mental welfare case. Neither our military, or Canada would
have him.

Maybe they should use him for target practice??

Old April 12th 06, 04:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Michael A. Terrell

Joseph Fenn wrote:

[...]

Good for you! A lot of hams and people who knew CW were needed in a
hurry, and the military knew that they had to get them where they were
needed as soon as possible, so they bypassed basic training and AIT
wherever possible.

I always enjoy hearing from other Veterans who served in the signal
corps or AFRTS/AFRN. Thank you for your service to our country.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Old April 12th 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Michael A. Terrell

Noon-Air wrote:

Someday I will have to write a book about all of the things we did....and
even some of the stuff we *didn't* get caught doing. LOL

One evening the DJ announced that the request line was open, and that
he would play any record in the library. When he refused to play my
request, I turned the AM BCB transmitter off. ;-)

Enlisted men are extremely sly and cunning, and bear considerable
watching.
-Army Officers Manual 1836

Some officers were even worse than the enlisted. Two lieutenants at
Ft. Greely drew their M-16s from the Armory, signed a tactically
equipped jeep out of the motor pool and went rabbit hunting in "Buffalo
Drop Zone" which was a restricted area. One of them shot at a rabbit
but he hit the rock it was sitting on. The bullet ricocheted into the
Jeep, setting it on fire, and starting a full blown forest fire. I had
to go fight the fire, and as we were finishing I saw the two officers
sitting back to back in the bed of a pickup truck, surrounded by CID.
One of them was warning them not to move, because they would love to
shoot them for trying to escape. The last i heard, they were sentenced
to 20 years at Leavenworth.

When I was stationed on west coast WHECs, I tapped into the ships cable
system so I had cable at my rack, and had a little 4 inch TV and little
stereo tucked up in a trap door I cut in the the false overhead over my
rack... it worked great :-)
On the same ship, we had 12 engineers that were licensed HAMs and the CO cot
a bit miffed when he found out that the engineers could copy CW better than
his radiomen could... it was pretty funny. LOL

Yeah, very few officers had ANY sense of humor. On the other hand,
some knew when to leave well enough alone. I only stood Monday morning
formation a couple times the whole year that i was in Alaska, and my
C.O. would apologize if he woke me up during Monday morning inspections,
then back quietly out of my room. ;-)

He's a mental welfare case. Neither our military, or Canada would
have him.

Maybe they should use him for target practice??

Not worth the ammunition. Maybe use him for a door stop? ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida