Old June 8th 06, 03:12 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Justin Case

Default Note to Kenwood: Please bring back the TS-850s

Dear Kenwood,
I've been reading all the reviews on your current ham radios, and
one thing repeatedly comes up in the reviews. The Kenwood TS-450s is
reported to be better than the Kenwood TS-570x, and the Kenwood
TS-850s is reported to be better than the TS-2000. As a matter of
fact many of the reviews have said the TS-2000 is down right deaf when
compared to a Kenwood TS-850s, TS-870s, ICOM 746 Pro, and Yaesu Mark
V. I looked at the Icom radios, but I thought they were ugly. The
Yaesu radios have too many reported trips back to Yaesu repair, the
Ten Tec Orion II is too expensive, so that leaves Kenwood. I can buy
used, but it would be nice to have a new TS-850s. I've got the cash,
the desire, and the will to spend, but you currently don't offer the
radio to get my dollars.

Sincerely,

A U.S. Ham.

Old June 8th 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

It's true, that mid-range transceiver is getting rare.

I always wanted Ford to reissue the 1964-1966 Mustang. Can you imagine
how many they would sell !

As a used alternative, take a look at the Icom 746 (non pro). Lots of
features. 850 owners speak favorably about it. Read the 20 pages of
nearly unanimous positive review at eham.net reviews

Old June 8th 06, 04:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
notbob

On 2006-06-08, Justin Case wrote:

fact many of the reviews have said the TS-2000 is down right deaf when
compared to a Kenwood TS-850s, TS-870s, ICOM 746 Pro, and Yaesu Mark
V. I looked at the Icom radios, but I thought they were ugly. The
Yaesu radios have too many reported trips back to Yaesu repair, the
Ten Tec Orion II is too expensive, so that leaves Kenwood.

But ...but ...the new ones have more features! ...and buttons!

nb
Old June 8th 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Bob Miller

On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 02:12:22 GMT, Justin Case
wrote:

[...]

The new Kenwood 480-series transceivers are getting pretty nice
reviews on eHam.net. Good review in QST, too. Sorta ugly, but I'm
tempted, myself.

bob
k5qwg
Old June 8th 06, 08:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Ponder This

wrote:

The new Kenwood 480-series transceivers are getting pretty nice
reviews on eHam.net. Good review in QST, too. Sorta ugly, but I'm
tempted, myself.

bob
k5qwg

The AM selectivity is terrible onthe 480x.

-6db at 5 kHz
-60db at 40 kHz!

That is going to suck when you tune to listen to shortwave broadcast

...and it is ugly.

Light blue letters on a black back ground is easier on the eyes than
black letters on an orange back ground.

Old June 9th 06, 01:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Noon-Air

wrote:

[...]

Who ever is designing the face of Kenwood's latest batch of ham
radios must wear ugly clothes, drive an ugly car, live in an ugly
house, and be married to an ugly woman, because only if you were
surrounded with alot of ugly things would you think those Kenwood
radios looked good.

The 480HX might be ugly, but its the best HF mobile rig I have ever run.

-n6ojn

Old June 10th 06, 12:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Dan

I don't know where you are getting your reviews, but on e-ham, the TS 2000
is the second most reviewed HF transceiver with 279 reviews and an average
rating of 4.6 out of 5.0. (the Icom 706, all flavors, has the most at 334
reviews.) The TS 850 has 79 reviews with an average of 4.7 out of 5.0. Not
much difference and a much smaller population in the data set. I'd say the
2000 is holding it's own as far as user reviews go.

Oh yeah...Justin Case of WHAT??

Old June 10th 06, 05:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Don M.

You failed to mention the Kenwood TS-950SDX.
I have two of these and they out perform my TS-2000
and Icom Pro III, although it is hard to beat the Icom monitor.
KK6J Don

Old June 11th 06, 07:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Steven L Umbach

Ehams reviews are very subjective and the rating of the radios should not
really be compared on their score scale. By that measure the Icom 736 is a
better rig than the Icom 7800 or Ten Tec Orion. It is best looked at as a
measure of user satisfaction with that particular rig to the users
expectations for the money. I have a Kenwood TS 850 and a TS 2000 and the TS
850 absolutely blows away the TS 2000 in receiver performance. The link
below shows Sherwood Engineering rankings on many rigs based on close in
dynamic range performance. Note how high the TS 850 is in the list with
affordable Inrad filters installed [not roofing filter]. Almost all the
radios above it are ham band only rigs and the IC 765 has the narrow roofing
filter in it I believe. Interesting is how great a performer the TS 830 is
shown to be. --- Steve

http://www.sherweng.com/table.html

Old June 11th 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Dan

That list is only a ranking of narrow spaced dynamic range and doesn't take
into account the many other things that make a radio great. That's wonderful
engineering data, but is very limited. That's why user reviews such as one
finds on e-ham and other places are valuable. Obviously they're subjective.
But they take into account real-world, everyday user impressions of a rig
which includes a wide variety operating styles and tastes. How, for example,
can I cross band repeat, or run six meter e-skip openings on a TS 850? I do
that all the time on my current rig. And still get outstanding performance
when running HF (without the need for optional "affordable" extra filters)
See my point? If we only went by spec rankings, we'd all be running Orions,
I guess.