Old July 28th 05, 12:05 PM
Steveo

Cmdr Buzz Corey wrote:
There is the problem, "gentlemen's agreement", but John is no gentleman,
kinda like on the Childrens Band where he fits in real well.

JJ loves his CB..no need for a call there.

--
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old July 28th 05, 03:57 PM
John Smith

Steveo:

Some ignorant hams think there is a BIG difference between 27.400 and
28.400mhz--AND THERE IS!!!

.... a megacycle...

John

Old July 28th 05, 11:05 PM
Paul W. Schleck

In "John Smith" writes:

commander:

Furnish me with a URL to a document by usenet on the false specs you are
attempting to pass off on the un-witting hams, and others, here. Where is a
usenet "Official Faq" stating what you are claiming?

Try any of the following:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...1d33dcfe1ff321

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/finding-groups/general/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsgroups

http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/nobin.html

Even if you don't want to accept any of these articles as authoritative,
consider the validity of their basic arguments, which I've summarized
below:

- Many sites choose to carry only the discussion newsgroups, as the
binary newsgroups represent the overwhelming majority of Usenet
traffic volume (by an astonishing ratio of 300:1 as of 2002, according
to the first article referenced above).

- Sites can easily limit their news traffic to the much smaller
discussion newsgroups volume if binaries are restricted by convention
to newsgroups that have "binaries" in their names.

- Even if one poster posts "just one little binary" in a discussion
newsgroup, it can add up if others join in, especially multiplied over
many newsgroups (see "Tragedy of the Commons" at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons ).

- If this results in very little meaningful distinction in traffic
volume between discussion and binary newsgroups, such that sites that
carry news can no longer easily filter out the binary material, and
keep their bandwidth and storage requirements to a manageable amount,
many sites may choose to drop many discussion newsgroups, or even drop
news altogether. The latter has already happened at many sites,
including AOL, MSN, and Comcast.

- Sites with more sophisticated filtering than that provided by standard
news server software may choose to filter out all posts that have
binary content, anyway. Already, Google Groups strips out any binary
contents from their newsgroups archive, mostly to avoid becoming a
de-facto free porno/pirated-warez server. Even a site like Google,
with nearly unlimited communications bandwidth and storage space, is
concerned about becoming a transmission vector for copyright
violations, viruses, and obscene material.

- It may even be a violation of your ISP's Terms of Service (TOS) or
Acceptable Usage Policy (AUP) to post binaries to a discussion
newsgroup.

--
73, Paul W. Schleck, K3FU

http://www.novia.net/~pschleck/
Finger for PGP Public Key

Old July 28th 05, 11:24 PM
John Smith

Paul:

google groups are simply not acceptable, wikipedia is not acceptable...

.... the other two simply recommend using common sense ... DUH!!!

Sometime around the mid-late 90's myths began to float about, we live in a
"echo chamber" and simply because these myths come echoing back in force is
only proof that some where successful in generating belief in the myths, are in
a remarkable number of people...

Attempting to limit the internet is insane... this has been and will remain a
more powerful medium of exchange than many can accept, big deal...

Some dreamed of passing binaries back and forth here, worked and developed
methods--for some strange reason--others came later attempting to halt it. I
admit this insanity is hard to understand--I simply note it exists... I don't
even care what the reason are, or the arguments of the "control freaks" consist
of...

Google groups? NO ONE SHOULD EVEN BE USING GOOGLE GROUPS!!!!

John

Old July 28th 05, 11:27 PM
John Smith

Paul:

But don't panic, I may be the only one capable of uuencoding a binary and
posting it, ya never know, well, except the one guy who already managed it
somehow...

John

Old July 29th 05, 06:52 AM
N9OGL

The rules to Newsgroups vary from newsgroup to newsgroup, the problem
with this group (rec.radio.amateur.policy) is that it'snot monerated,
or it is and the monerator isn't doing there job.
unless it is a discussion group rule, again the rules vary from
discussion group to discussion group then it alright.

Todd N9OGL
Monerator
Amateur-Radio-Experimentation

Discussion Group

Old July 29th 05, 01:19 PM

N9OGL wrote:
The rules to Newsgroups vary from newsgroup to newsgroup, the problem
with this group (rec.radio.amateur.policy) is that it'snot monerated,
or it is and the monerator isn't doing there job.
unless it is a discussion group rule, again the rules vary from
discussion group to discussion group then it alright.

Todd N9OGL

Toad, what's a "Monerator", STUPID!?!

Old July 29th 05, 04:46 PM
John Smith

N9OGL:

Well, there ya go, trouble is, when you give control to an incompetent he is
going to focus on control and being a disciplinarian, any real merit is lost.
Any successful group must be flexible to the majority's rule, as only if the
group is responsive and meets the needs of those is it valid--problems with a
"control freak" moderator are the same--most newsgroups with such do not
survive--about as many posting as QSO's on HF, they begin dying--moderated
newsgroups.

Only reason I don't send binaries, pics etc in moderation here, no one
intelligent to uudecode them (also, there has just not been a need), that is
obvious and really what the center of most problems we are speaking of--control
freaks managing to having halted progress...

John

oups.com...

Old July 29th 05, 07:28 PM
an old friend

K4YZ wrote:
Allow me to try an translate this into English.

wrote:
N9OGL wrote:
The rules to Newsgroups vary from newsgroup to newsgroup...(SNIP)

The rules and protocols for posting vary from newsgroup to
newsgroup.

(UNSNIP)...the problem
with this group (rec.radio.amateur.policy) is that it'snot monerated,
or it is and the monerator isn't doing there job.

break

Rec.radio.amateur.policy is not a moderated newsgroup. There is
no moderator to ensure compliance with discussion group parameters or
maintain civility amongst participants.

then why do you seek to ursurb that role?

Why do you sepnd so much time trying to force other to folow YOUR ideas
of how this group should function

unless it is a discussion group rule, again the rules vary from
discussion group to discussion group then it alright.

He's got me there. I am sure there was a "point" there, but most
likely just the top of his head.

Todd N9OGL

Toad, what's a "Monerator", STUPID!?!

We need to get him and Markie to start submitting their made-up
words to Webster's for deciphering.

I still think Toiddie has a good case against the Taylorville
Public Schools for letting him graduate High School with those horrific
English skills. And Markie's always looking to sue SOMEone...He ought
to go after the school district that let HIM loose.

now libeling an entire school system Stevie

and making up more stuff about me

Never looking to sue anyone, not even you, althoughyou do insist on
straining that one

but then Your HS let you out without even teaching you to read,
properly

(BTW reading is about working what is there not about how you can twist
it to mean what you want it to)

73

Steve, K4YZ