Old October 22nd 05, 11:17 PM
Dan/W4NTI

Default What Amateur Radio Emergency Communications?

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
Ernie wrote:
Cmd Buzz Corey wrote in message

TOM wrote:

To continue the thread...

'ARRL Publishing Empire LLC' looses again and Ham radio operator couch
potatoes watch TV...

[snip]
HARTFORD, CT (PRWEB) Oct 6, 2005 - In the aftermath of Hurricane

Katrina,

it's become clear that a major contributing factor to the tragic loss of
life was the near total breakdown of communication systems. Once
electricity, telephone, and cell phone services failed, people were

unable

to let rescuers know of their dire situations -- and died as a result.

What could be a simple, instant, and virtually zero-cost solution?

"Establish a National SOS Radio Network (www.NationalSOS.com)," says

Eric

Knight, CEO of UP Aerospace, Inc. (www.upaerospace.com). "There are

millions

of 'Family Radio Service' or 'FRS' radios already in use by the public

for

camping, boating, and hiking, and there are 675,000 licensed ham radio
operators in America -- people renown and prepared for emergency
communications. The output frequencies of FRS radios are easily received

by

the radio gear ham radio operators use daily. That's the magic link in

this

emergency communication strategy."

Knight went on to say, "The best part of a National SOS Radio Network is
that it wouldn't require new laws or any new legislation whatsoever. It
could go into effect, today. Once the ham radio community is made aware

listen for the public's emergency broadcasts on an FRS frequency, the
national network will be up and running. It's as simple as that."
[snip]

So... it will be the FRS that will respond to the needs of a national
frequency for emergency communications and not the amateur

community---lets

see you blame that on the loss of telegraphy.

TOM

You obviously have a reading comprehension problem. Notice it states
that the hams will listen for emergency traffic on the FRS frequencies
and FRS will be the link to the ham radio network.

Let me see now... I have a reading comprehension problem... There are
MILLIONS of FRS users compared to 675,000 couch potatoes. What makes you
think that the proposal for a National SOS Radio Network is going to make
any changes to Amateur Radio Service response to national disasters?
APPARENTLY, AMATEUR SERVICE FAILED TO MEET THE NEEDS OF A NATIONAL
RESPONSE
TO DISASTER COMMUNICATIONS IN THE FIRST PLACE---THAT'S WHY FRS IS GOING
TAKE THE PLACE OF THE AMATEUR SERVICE!

And millions more cell phone users. Let the cell phone users make up the
emergency network, eh?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Amazing how some minds can get things so out of phase, isn't it? hi.

I wonder how this FRS service with toy radio's is going to talk past the end
of their block? Oh with that useless ham stuff? On Vhf/Uhf.....uh....Oh I
get it, FRS and V/UHF ham radio will be the emergency channel and then
carrier pigeon will take care of the long haul stuff.

One thing about it....Ya just cain't fix stupid.

Dan/W4NTI

Old October 22nd 05, 11:32 PM
Mike Coslo

an_old_friend wrote:

a decent case can be made that the USA should sell of all ham VHF/UHF
spectrum and use the money to build more redunacy in to the cell tower
network so at text will get through no matter what

Unrelated.
Old October 22nd 05, 11:38 PM

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 18:32:01 -0400, Mike Coslo
wrote:

an_old_friend wrote:

a decent case can be made that the USA should sell of all ham VHF/UHF
spectrum and use the money to build more redunacy in to the cell tower
network so at text will get through no matter what

Unrelated.

liar

to restore yourown words " And millions more cell phone users.
Let the cell phone users make up the emergency network, eh?"

Cell phone does indeed show signs of being usable as a true emergency
network

certainly one more acceable to general public than Ham radio

this fact is one we need to consider if we wnat to surive

but then you like the procoders in general do have your heads in the
sand

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download
Old October 22nd 05, 11:43 PM

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 22:17:13 GMT, "Dan/W4NTI"
wrote:

"TOM" wrote in message
The future of the National Traffic System
http://www.eham.net/articles/12198

[snip]
For those of you who may not know, the National Traffic System (NTS)
consists of a carefully choreographed collection of section, region, and
area nets designed to relay messages throughout the US. In a sense it's
the
second "R" in ARRL. NTS has a long and honorable history and has some of
the
best operators in the world as its membership.

The recent hurricane season has raised serious doubts for me about the
role
that NTS plays in the current ham-radio environment. I did not hear a
single
health-and-welfare message during the disasters. In bygone times, NTS
would
have been buzzing with activity.
[snip]

Tom,

I hate to break your ham hating crusade but the NTS can't run any traffic,
if none is sent to it.

meaning you are greing with me and Tom

why is it ham hating if you say and ham hating if I do

you also make my point no vital traffic can be passed by ham radio if
it was not sent to ham radio

I had the exact same complaint. I did manage to
handle a few messages, but NOTHING like I was expecting.

which brings you to stating the same thing I was

I have since found that the American Red Cross, for WHATEVER REASON decided
that ham radio was not good enough to use. Other than for a VHF Telephone
network between shelters that is.

which is a dangerous state of affairs for one of the supports that we
use in our spectrum battles

but you were unwilling to even discuss such things

Not our bad Tom. We were there, ready, willing, and able.

maybe we were maybe we were not, but it seems whatever the truth were
not seen as ready willing and able, and the preception of the served
agencies is more important than the reality

Dan/W4NTI

Old October 23rd 05, 12:22 AM
Dr.Ace

SATERN = SALVATION ARMY TEAM EMERGENCY RADIO NETWORK

http://www.satern.org/

What We Do
Emergency communications etc. etc.
LAT exposé: "The Red Cross money pit" - The TRUTH at last!!!
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/9/25/95628/8554

It has always been my personal opinion that the Salvation Army is a MUCH
better organization than the Red Cross / Red Crescent . Organizations like
the Red Cross / Red Crescent have enormous overhead, including high-paid
executives and posh offices.

Ace - WH2T

"Dan/W4NTI" wrote in message
link.net...

"TOM" wrote in message
[...]

if none is sent to it. I had the exact same complaint. I did manage to

Old October 23rd 05, 01:18 AM
Mike Coslo

Dan/W4NTI wrote:

TOM wrote:

[...]

I think the idea is that person 1 transmits to the end of his block,
then person 2 transmits to the end of their block. And so on and so on.
Be just like the olde days when the "relay" meant something in ARRL.
They will need every one of those "millions" of FRS radio owners.

Oh with that useless ham stuff? On Vhf/Uhf.....uh....Oh I
get it, FRS and V/UHF ham radio will be the emergency channel and then
carrier pigeon will take care of the long haul stuff.

One thing about it....Ya just cain't fix stupid.

Just like trying to polish a turd.....

- Mike KB3EIA -
Old October 23rd 05, 01:26 AM
Mike Coslo

Dr.Ace wrote:
SATERN = SALVATION ARMY TEAM EMERGENCY RADIO NETWORK

Yup, I listened to SATERN a good bit during the crisis.

http://www.satern.org/

What We Do
Emergency communications etc. etc.
LAT exposé: "The Red Cross money pit" - The TRUTH at last!!!
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/9/25/95628/8554

It has always been my personal opinion that the Salvation Army is a MUCH
better organization than the Red Cross / Red Crescent.

Yup.

Organizations like
the Red Cross / Red Crescent have enormous overhead, including high-paid
executives and posh offices.

The Red Cross also had other ideas on what to do with the money donated
for the 9/11 attack victims and families.

Nice folks.

- Mike KB3EIA -
Old October 23rd 05, 01:45 AM

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 20:22:50 -0400, Mike Coslo

wrote:

an_old_friend wrote:

a decent case can be made that the USA should sell of all ham VHF/UHF
spectrum and use the money to build more redunacy in to the cell tower
network so at text will get through no matter what

Unrelated.

liar

You toss the "liar" pejorative around when someone voices an opinion,

you did not voice an opinion

you falsely stated that my post was unrelated

and you tell people to shut up when they express an opinion.

Good for you, Mr Morgan. Not much point in having a discussion with ya.

you were obviously never interested in one

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old October 23rd 05, 02:41 AM

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 01:41:53 GMT, "Dan/W4NTI"
wrote:

I don't talk with brain damaged idiots. I just comment about their dumb ass
comments.

Dan/W4NTI

just brunign up with hate tonight I see Dan