Old September 29th 06, 12:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default ARRL "Homebrew Challenge" NOT about Operating Systems

Folks, all this stuff about Operating Systems is interesting, but it
doesn't apply that much to this "Homebrew Challenge" insofar as
the radio part of the radio station specified in the contest.

For only $50 in New Part cost, what does everyone think about
for the actual RADIO hardware?

Just curious...I have no interest in that contest...just a curiosity
of what might come up in the next year.

Old September 29th 06, 04:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Ben Jackson wrote:

The cheapest possible starter 40M CW/SSB radio would probably be a kit,
not built from a collection of overpriced Radio Shack components. It
probably does a lot of work in the digital domain, without regard to
ease of modification. It's built on an etched PCB mass produced in
such quantities that it's cheaper than bare copper board at the local
electronics store.

I agree, but I also think many will rise to the challenge, even though
the prize is modest. Look for some very clever things--mostly done
with IQ phasing techniques. I personally plan to enter with something,
and suspect others on this list will as well. Also expect an even
better project to follow that builds on all the best from the
contest...I'm most interested to see what sort of frequency
synthesizers/VFOs come out of this. I'm personally hoping ARRL gets
enough entries that they can publish a book or something, and am hoping
this will inspire some wonderful new kits and other things for newbies.

My design will not use IQ, will have a DSP (probably one of the
Microchip 30F4013s in a DIP pkg), but I haven't found/invented a VFO
scheme I really like yet (yes, I know the contest allows you to be
rockbound, but I'm shooting a little higher). I'll try to set up a
brag page and post progress.

I appreciate the time given for this contest--even with very spare time
people should be able to do something. I suspect ARRL's lab will have
their hands full testing everything that comes in ( maybe they will
only test the finalists).

What fun!

73,
Glenn Dixon AC7ZN

Old October 2nd 06, 12:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default ARRL "Homebrew Challenge"

Tom Coates wrote:
ARRL has announced a design competition that some of you may not have heard
of. The objective is to produce a CW and SSB transceiver with at least 5
watts of output on 40 meters. Components must be commercially available. The
total cost of all components (except key, mic and power supply) must not
exceed $50. Any instruments beyond a multimeter must be in the $50.

WOW.

$50 today is like $10 when I was first licensed 30-something years ago.

$50 is just five more dollars than what the 2007 ARRL handbook
(paperback) is going to cost!

Tim.

Old October 2nd 06, 03:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Tim Shoppa" ) writes:
Tom Coates wrote:
ARRL has announced a design competition that some of you may not have heard
of. The objective is to produce a CW and SSB transceiver with at least 5
watts of output on 40 meters. Components must be commercially available. The
total cost of all components (except key, mic and power supply) must not
exceed $50. Any instruments beyond a multimeter must be in the $50.

WOW.

$50 today is like $10 when I was first licensed 30-something years ago.

$50 is just five more dollars than what the 2007 ARRL handbook
(paperback) is going to cost!

Tim.

That is an interesting perspective.

My first handbook, the 1971 edition, had a $4.50 cover price. It
was preceeded, by about a month, "How To Become A Radio Amateur",
and I can't remember how much that was but obviously not much.

The latter book had a single tube transmitter built on a wooden
"chassis", though I can't remember if they suggested you scrounge
the parts. I have no recollection of the receiver, but it would
have been a regen.

Michael VE2BVW

Old October 2nd 06, 09:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Tim wrote:

$50 today is like $10 when I was first licensed 30-something years ago.

Yes, but electronics follow a strange economy...some parts such as
batteries and pots haven't changed price much, but most are much
cheaper. You can now buy a`stereo FM receiver for $3.00 at Wal Mart.
In the sixties that would have cost at least $30.00. But today's
integrated radios have darn few parts that can be removed/reused.

$50 is just five more dollars than what the 2007 ARRL handbook
(paperback) is going to cost!

Well, if it's any consolation, you will probably get lots more from the
handbook--in terms of weight, at least.

Regards,
Glenn Dixon AC7ZN